The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

nostatic

LOL! Early Adopter Envy is so unbecoming. ];-)

I'm delighted for all the early adopters that the camera seems such a nice upgrade. I'm also happy to sit out this early adopter round... I hope the reports stay positive in a week or four.

G
That is far better than other envies. Like Ferrari envy :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
John just from fooling around with it. I can tell the AF tracking is vastly improved. So I'm feeling pretty good about January shoot coming up. I'm very tempted to switch my lens rental of the ZA 70-200 2.8 to the FE version F4. With the IBIS even on a monopod I could pick up that extra stop. I figure I might be at 1/400 th f5.6 at ISO 800. If I can get there I'm good to go. Here is the good news I have complete control of the stage lighting. So I can have them pump it up if need be.

I think this can is it and I was guessing at it in announcment and I think I guessed perfectly.

jonoslack

Well, Lovely weather today, and I went out for a couple of hours this morning with a number of different lenses:
55 FE
24-70 f4
WATE
75 APO 'cron
90 macro elmar and macro adapter M
80-200 f4 Leica R

I really love the new body shape - sure, the dials are plastic, and it'll take a little time to get used to them (and where they are) but the C1 and C2 buttons. I also think it looks nicer with the narrower bump on the top. The general feeling is much more solid.

I'd like to know whether it's really weather sealed . . What is not very clear whether this is different from the A7r (which was only up to condensation, and not rain). The Olympus cameras are right up for shooting in continuous rain . . . This story I just read rather worried me: A7r WEATHERPROOF? NO!

Rawfa

I'm really curious about the AF improvement, as it was one of the only things (the other was lenses) keeping me from FF E.

jonoslack

I'm really curious about the AF improvement, as it was one of the only things (the other was lenses) keeping me from FF E.
I'm not going to be able to help I'm afraid - it seems perfectly quick to me, but it's a while since I had the A7 (March) and far too long to be able to remember the subtleties.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lol. Or kick the dog in the ***. I have a puppy here that's a perfect candidate too. Little pissing machine here. Lol

Viramati

Been out today shooting with the 16-35. I like the new grip and shutter release position though I had got used to the A7 and A7s layout. Haven't really got to grips with the auto-focus yet and was doing landscape in any case. Really can't access the files until LR5 is update but I find the jpegs to be over saturating the greens (would never normally shoot in jpeg) but will try out the adobe DNG convertor. The weight increase hasn't really been an issue so far which is probably partly due to the more ergonomic grip. Build feels good and I like that it has the same all metal mount as my A7s

V

Vivek

No, Jono. I have never had a problem with any camera with an E mount (includes the NEX') despite using it here- you should be familiar with the weather here- not any sunnier than where you are. ;) I also try not to drop them in the canals. :)

Since I have opened up a few of these cams (and comparing with the ones from Nikon, for example), I can confirm that there is no sealing.

Hi Vivek
Have you had a problem with the 'environmental sealing' then?

Been out today shooting with the 16-35. I like the new grip and shutter release position though I had got used to the A7 and A7s layout. Haven't really got to grips with the auto-focus yet and was doing landscape in any case. Really can't access the files until LR5 is update but I find the jpegs to be over saturating the greens (would never normally shoot in jpeg). The weight increase hasn't really been an issue so far which is probably partly due to the more ergonomic grip. Build feels good and I like that it has the same all metal mount as my A7s
Just download the DNG converter and then import into LR.

jonoslack

No, Jono. I have never had a problem with any camera with an E mount (includes the NEX') despite using it here- you should be familiar with the weather here- not any sunnier than where you are. ;) I also try not to drop them in the canals. :)

Since I have opened up a few of these cams (and comparing with the ones from Nikon, for example), I can confirm that there is no sealing.
Then why does it say that it's 'environmentally sealed' on every website?
It rains without warning here, (just like there) and I don't always carry a bag - and I might easily be a couple of miles from any shelter too - the E-M1 is absolutely fine in a downpour - I simply assumed that this was the same? You reckon it isn't?

A quick search of the web, and everywhere it says that it has 'enhanced weather sealing' (imaging resource, phoblographer, Steve Huff, dPreview etc.)

mbroomfield

This was an interesting read and I assume that the A7r he has is close enough in design to it's siblings that they are all as susceptible. I try hard to keep my A7r dry.

Sony A7R in “not weatherproof” shock - Tobinators

I think I lost a 5N to water damage many months ago. It started doing things quite similar to his report and I'm pretty sure was lightly rained on a few times. It donated it's lens mount to one of my A7r's last week though after one of them (like me!) got bent out of shape when I fell on my backpack climbing over a wire, so it still had some residual value.

Steve P.

I don't know why exactly but some manufacturer's weather sealing just seems more trustworthy than others somehow. It may be a misconception on my part but I think I'd be more inclined to trust Olympus and Pentax rather than Sony on weather sealing. Likewise I'd trust Nikon and Canon only on their Pro spec gear.

jonoslack

I don't know why exactly but some manufacturer's weather sealing just seems more trustworthy than others somehow. It may be a misconception on my part but I think I'd be more inclined to trust Olympus and Pentax rather than Sony on weather sealing. Likewise I'd trust Nikon and Canon only on their Pro spec gear.
Maybe you're right Steve - this really matters to me though! My A900 seemed pretty rainproof. It has to be said, that this camera does LOOK better sealed than the A7 - but perhaps that's not all that relevant!

Steve P.

I get the feeling that some makers are using phrases like "environmentally sealed" as marketing spiel with built in deniability. In other words they claim it because their competitors do, but when anyone tries to establish exactly HOW protected from the elements they actually are, then all of a sudden things get pretty vague and you just can't pin them down. Call me an old cynic but it's as if your camera is "environmentally sealed" right up until the point you need to claim for water damage under warranty. :eek:

monza

IMHO 'sealed' is a misnomer. One needs to use an underwater housing for true 'sealing.' Perhaps 'weather resistant' or 'moisture resistant' is more apropos.

:)