The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

iiiNelson

So my local store is having a"no tax" sale and they've got the a6000 cheap so I figure worth the experiment top use my FE glass and see if it will beat the GH3 for some tasks. I mention to my sales guy that I'm pondering going from A7 to mom and he says, "oh I've got two bodies available." I ask if they can do no tax on that as well. He goes too ask and comes back and says, "yup."

This place is bad for me. Grip feels good. Will test the ibis shortly. If I'm in the ballpark of my old K20 and EM5, I'll be a happy camper. Just need a longish macro and I'll be set.
There's the 90 Macro in March and the Sigma 180/2.8 Macro in A mount if you want REALLY long. That Sigma is stupid sharp as well.

nostatic

Warning - non-scientific quick and dirty test. FE 35/2.8, 1/10 s shutter, without SS, then with. Shot jpg so straight from the camera into LR with no tweaks.

nostatic

1/10s is pushing it but I used to shoot that with the EM5 and K20 way back when. I'd get some usable shots. Not sure that this IBIS is quite up to their implementation but it is a much bigger sensor and a lot more MP to show any blurring. The sheet music example certainly shows a difference.

My wife prefers the ergonomics of the old body. I need to mess around a bit between the two. I remember retraining my hand when I got the A7 so there is some muscle memory involved.

barjohn

I conducted an AF test on the A7M2 that I frequently try on new cameras to see how well they AF. It is a simple test and surprisingly many cameras show themselves to be slow doing the test. Until today I hadn't thought of a way to do the same test for low light performance.

The test:

1. I run the electronic stop watch

2. Every 5 seconds I fully depress the shutter which forces a full focus action (no 1/2 presses)

3. I do this until 50 seconds have elapsed (10 shots)

4. Look at each image, it should be in focus and add the times and divide by 10 to obtain the average.

With a bright screen display (my iMac screen brightness set to mid way), the 28-70mm FE kit lens set to 50mm and f4.5, I obtained the following averages:

A7M2 = 227ms

A6000 = 264ms (This was a surprise to me, I expected the A6000 to beat the A72)

Both cameras are set to DMF and flexible spot AF (m)

To simulate a low light situation it occurred to me that I could dim the display to the point I was shooting at ISO 4000 with the same lens at 50mm and f5.6

Here are the results:

A7M2 = 371.3ms

A6000 = 426.3ms

Pretty impressive times and response under both conditions. I have seen the A7M2 quickly obtain focus in light levels that the auto ISO selected 12,500 at 50mm f4.5. The A7 would have been hunting all over the place.

Any thoughts on the test methodology and how does this compare to what others are finding?

Also ran another test with the 10-18mm lens:

Ran the test with bright screen and A6000 using e 10-18mm at 18mm f4, ISO 200 light level and the results were: 229.4ms

Same setup on the A7M2 and the results were 202.4ms

This camera's AF is deceptively fast!

nostatic

So wrt ergonomics, the m2 feels more like a dSLR in the way that lenses balance on it and the edge sits in your palm (shooting one handed). The original A7 is more like a large point and shoot. I'm comparing RX100ii, a6000, A7, and A7m2 back to back and it provides kind of a weird Goldilocks in cameraland thing.

I feel like a Sony commercial. Now I just need to get hacked...

nostatic

Well, not being one to dawdle, I put my A7 in the classifieds here. :D If it doesn't go quick I'll send it to eBay.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Crap I had mine set on standard.

Folks I'm just going to say this which is extremely rare to do because I never want to sound bias and not neutral in anyway since I do reviews and test a lot on many diffrent cams. More importantly not because I guessed correctly and/or bought something. But my feeling that this is the 2014 camera of the year IMHO. Everything about it is just about perfect. This to me is a MAJOR upgrade to the FE series mount. I'm tempted to buy a second one. Sony do me a big favor stop drop and roll. Throw the 36 mpx in this and make it a A7rII today. Im dead serious Sony than make your A9 or whatever but do not miss the opportunity to sell a 36mpx version of this. More about my feelings later on this but this is the most balanced Sony camera to date in the FE mount. I may give the A7s second for its high ISO and the A77II for it AF speed in a DSLR style can than Nikon D810 for its upgrades over the D800e but this A7II is the most balanced and user friendly upgrade. All the little improvements really add up.

V

Vivek

High praise indeed! :)

Where are those spell checkers and their troll buddies to take that post apart? :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Rude of you! I just may have to pony up a lot more pennies for that belated Christmas present :p
LOL well it is Christmas and all us GAS folks do buy our own presents. Did you know that is the rule and not the exception. ROTFLMAO