The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
People can argue till the cats come home if it is better or worse than the Oly cams , I say I shoot Sony now so who cares as long as it does the job. This is a big reason I have my heart on saying this is the Camera of the Year 2014. This is a big plus right here, solid mount and much much better ergos.

Michiel Schierbeek

Nice look at a very cool historical home. For those that do not know Frank Lloyd Wright was a very famous architect here in the US. Big influence here in the Southwest. He also designed the Arizona Biltmore Resort which is world famous for its design. Right here in Phoenix
Thanks Guy!

Great architect! The interior shots are lovely as well and show well what materials he used. All very pure; the wood and bricks look like economical materials but very well used. And the shape of the house, amazing!

Guy Mancuso

Back too images . Here is a little guest house on the property. One of the beauty's of shooting with these TSE cams is the Camera is way above my head. i dropped the shift down and than added tilt. Gives you a nice high perspective with sharpness from foreground to infinity...

Viramati

Well Camera of the year maybe though I have to say that for me the A7s is an astounding camera with it's high iso capabilities and silent shutter it's a very close call

Guy Mancuso

Well Camera of the year maybe though I have to say that for me the A7s is an astounding camera with it's high iso capabilities and silent shutter it's a very close call
The A7s is special for sure but the 12mpx to me is just a little too small. I look at it as a more specialized cam compared to the A7II which is more a I can do almost anything cam. But agree its a good argument . Good news is they are both Sonys which take the same glass. I think a lot of serious shooters here and elsewhere would not mind having both in there bag. I know I would.

Guy Mancuso

BTW folks I forget to mention I had steady shot on with all these images except the family room and i was on a tripod. What we need to figure out if that is a issue or not having steady shot on when on a tripod. To be honest I am not seeing a issue here as they are all very sharp images. It maybe worth a test though just to make sure. One would think that it should have no effect since the steady cam would be at rest.

nostatic

If the A7s was 16MP I'd somehow feel better about it. Psychological barrier...

That said, I still may end up with one as I shoot almost all low-light and it could help a lot.

Guy Mancuso

If the A7s was 16MP I'd somehow feel better about it. Psychological barrier...

That said, I still may end up with one as I shoot almost all low-light and it could help a lot.
Agree 12mpx bugs me but 16mpx makes me feel better although in reality not a big difference but a mental one. Right there with you

nostatic

Guy, do you still have the a6000? Briefly had one when they came out and sent it back after an hour or two - was expecting something smaller. Picked up one yesterday and am finding it is a rather fun camera that isn't a bad size - and I can run the 55/1.8 on it and it becomes a nice portrait lens.

Guy Mancuso

Guy, do you still have the a6000? Briefly had one when they came out and sent it back after an hour or two - was expecting something smaller. Picked up one yesterday and am finding it is a rather fun camera that isn't a bad size - and I can run the 55/1.8 on it and it becomes a nice portrait lens.

No I sold it but been tempted to buy it again or wait for the A7000 but here was my issue was i could not hook up a vertical grip to it and the other was simply put it did not look professional enough to take on a gig. Now thats a external issue but as far as the cam i loved it, ton of fun the AF nothing is better even the A77II which is extremely fast AF it still is a touch behind the A6000. That may have changed though as they just came out with firmware for the A77II to make it even faster. But for the MONEY you can't beat the A6000 at 600 dollars. But the 55mm 1.8 is a great match for the A6000as it is a great setup for portraits.

For me it is more the play camera and right now until my whole system is in place, I have a hard time justifying it as a Pro but now having both the A7r and A7II it would be nice to have for fun and backup. But still need some glass and that has to come first.

But no it is a great cam and I did really like shooting it. If I had the extra 600 dollars no question I would get it again.

V

Vivek

No I sold it but been tempted to buy it again or wait for the A7000 but here was my issue was i could not hook up a vertical grip to it and the other was simply put it did not look professional enough to take on a gig. Now thats a external issue but as far as the cam i loved it, ton of fun the AF nothing is better even the A77II which is extremely fast AF it still is a touch behind the A6000. That may have changed though as they just came out with firmware for the A77II to make it even faster. But for the MONEY you can't beat the A6000 at 600 dollars. But the 55mm 1.8 is a great match for the A6000as it is a great setup for portraits.

For me it is more the play camera and right now until my whole system is in place, I have a hard time justifying it as a Pro but now having both the A7r and A7II it would be nice to have for fun and backup. But still need some glass and that has to come first.

But no it is a great cam and I did really like shooting it. If I had the extra 600 dollars no question I would get it again.
The A7000 could be here in 2 months and could have the SS mechanism. I look forward to it anyway.

jfirneno

BTW folks I forget to mention I had steady shot on with all these images except the family room and i was on a tripod. What we need to figure out if that is a issue or not having steady shot on when on a tripod. To be honest I am not seeing a issue here as they are all very sharp images. It maybe worth a test though just to make sure. One would think that it should have no effect since the steady cam would be at rest.
Guy:

I'm not sure what you mean. The 1/3 second photos in the room with the Christmas tree that include the 100% crop of the photo in the frame. Is that hand-held with steady shot or is it tripod?

Regards,
John

Guy Mancuso

Guy:

I'm not sure what you mean. The 1/3 second photos in the room with the Christmas tree that include the 100% crop of the photo in the frame. Is that hand-held with steady shot or is it tripod?

Regards,
John

The only one handheld was this one with steady shot on. No tripod

sorry if that was confusing

Im not sure how many stops its good for as it is a tough test todo because your relying on yourself as the base which we all know may change when running a test like that but I think its very safe to say 2 or 3 stops. Thats a safe bet IMHO

nostatic

The A7000 could be here in 2 months and could have the SS mechanism. I look forward to it anyway.
After messing about a bit I'm finding the A7m2 to be all that and a bag of chips. I am realizing how much I missed IBIS/SS/whatevertheheckyouwanttocallit. By comparison the a6000 is running in second place but at the price I'd expect it to. An a7000 w/SS would be a meow de los gato.

nostatic

Im not sure how many stops its good for as it is a tough test todo because your relying on yourself as the base which we all know may change when running a test like that but I think its very safe to say 2 or 3 stops. Thats a safe bet IMHO
For a lot of what I do (dark stages/labs), that 2 or 3 stops can be the difference between a usable shot and one that sucks. If I had lighting or was shooting daytime/outdoors it wouldn't be a big deal.