The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
That picture is sacrilegious ! I had a Steinway AIII 1927 and if anyone put anything on top of it I would have killed them.
Well, you pick your battles. My wife insists on putting family photographs on top of our 1898 Steinway D :eek:. Given that she didn't complain (much) about me buying the monster, I let it go. Yes, it gets played every day. (A big A from 1927 sounds like a lovely piano! What happened to it?)

OK, it's an A7II thread. Mine is arriving today and I plan to do a 28mm FoV shootout comparing the A7II with the 16-35/4, kit zoom, and CY 28/2.8 (and 24-70/4 when it arrives), E-M5 with Panasonic 12-35/2.8, M9 with 28 Cron, and IQ140 with SK35XL. Stay tuned. Heck, might throw in the Canon 24-105/4L for fun.

Stay tuned,

Matt

jonoslack

Well, you pick your battles. My wife insists on putting family photographs on top of our 1898 Steinway D :eek:. Given that she didn't complain (much) about me buying the monster, I let it go. Yes, it gets played every day. (A big A from 1927 sounds like a lovely piano! What happened to it?)

OK, it's an A7II thread. Mine is arriving today and I plan to do a 28mm FoV shootout comparing the A7II with the 16-35/4, kit zoom, and CY 28/2.8 (and 24-70/4 when it arrives), E-M5 with Panasonic 12-35/2.8, M9 with 28 Cron, and IQ140 with SK35XL. Stay tuned. Heck, might throw in the Canon 24-105/4L for fun.

Stay tuned,

Matt
HI Matt
If you still have your A7 I'd be fascinated to see a comparison between it and the A7ii for trickier lenses.

Best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Stay tuned,

Matt
My 16-35 arrives today as well. Planning a full test on it. Good luck Matt

I bought it mostly for PR work and the A7II but if it plays well than it will get more serious workouts with the A7r

MGrayson

Jono,

Sorry, I never had an A7. I handled one at the 2013? NY Photo Expo and it jumped right out of my hands. I'm happy to try the A7II with a bunch of M glass - I have the CV15, Zeiss 21, Zeiss 25, 28 Elmar(it?) (old), 28 Cron, OLD 35 Cron (original equipment on an M2), CV 40, a bunch of 50s (V2 Lux, pre-Asph Lux, Cron Asph) and a 75 Cron, but you probably have those covered and an A7II as well.

I fear the 28mm FoV is the weak spot in most modern systems, and it's my favorite, so I'm checking it first. The next shootout will be the portrait range - 75 Cron vs. Canon 85/1.2L.. I could never focus the 75 Cron on the M9, so looking forward to the A7II in that regard.

Best,

Matt

jonoslack

Hi Matt
I'll be interested, especially in the dreaded 28 ' cron ( I don't have one of those). It looks to me like it might have improved since the A7 (which was why I asked). I've tested the 35 ' Ron and the WATE. I thought I might give it a spin with the 28 elmarit Asph and the 35 FLE today.

MGrayson

Jono,

Sure, I'll try the 28 Cron on the A7II, but I'm not expecting much joy there. Ron Scheffler has a pretty thorough set of examples showing how badly it does on an A7s.

Matt

cam

Hi Matt
I'll be interested, especially in the dreaded 28 ' cron ( I don't have one of those). It looks to me like it might have improved since the A7 (which was why I asked). I've tested the 35 ' Ron and the WATE. I thought I might give it a spin with the 28 elmarit Asph and the 35 FLE today.
I'll bring you my 28 Cron to try for yourself, along with that lovely 21mm pre-asph beast :)

(would love to try out the 21mm SA as well, but scared to mount it, lol)

V

Vivek

I would dump all the over priced and underwhelming Leica M lenses before the bubble bursts. :D

AF sucks with all them as well.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Hi Matt,
I will talk to you later, for your test you can use my A7, I also have the minolta 28 mm f2 which is supposed to be one of the best lenses Minolta ever made. I also have the A toE adapter.
Best,
Manouch

V

Vivek

Leica M lens aficionados, the M-Rokkor 28/2.8 performs the best and beats the 28/2 summicron hands down. No smearing and no corner issues.

MGrayson

Hi Matt,
I will talk to you later, for your test you can use my A7, I also have the minolta 28 mm f2 which is supposed to be one of the best lenses Minolta ever made. I also have the A toE adapter.
Best,
Manouch
Hi Manouch!

Another fine 28 would be welcome! I've never been quite happy with the CY 28/2.8, but perhaps that's just in comparison with the other lenses in that lineup.

Is that the MF 28/2 Minolta or the later AF Alpha mount 28/2?

Best,

Matt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The CY 28 2.8 was really never the best one the F2 was but it has some field curvature to it. But it was called Hollywood because of the fall off.

MGrayson

Michiel's photos with the Contax 24-85 are also compelling. Of course, we're all making a lot of judgements based on (very good) web resolution samples. :rolleyes:

Matt

V

Vivek

Michiel's photos with the Contax 24-85 are also compelling. Of course, we're all making a lot of judgements based on (very good) web resolution samples. :rolleyes:

Matt
Matt, There were many lines of Contax. Contax G, C/Y Contax and Contax N (excluding the Medium Format Contax lenses).

The Hollywood classic belongs to the C/Y category.

The 24-85 Zoom is from Contax N line. Michiel is a good photographer, has a steady pair of hands and does not mind the rain to capture all those wonderful images (I live here and I know how the weather is). :)

MGrayson

Vivek,

Thank you. I'm aware of the different lines, but (possibly incorrectly) don't associate them with quality differences.

I understand that the equipment only gets one so far (and not very far, at that).

--Matt