The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A7II Users Reports

Viramati

Leica M lens aficionados, the M-Rokkor 28/2.8 performs the best and beats the 28/2 summicron hands down. No smearing and no corner issues.
I to have this lens but I wouldn't say it doesn't suffer from smearing on the A7 or A7II especially wide open. It is quite a lot better on the A7s especially wide open but is quite low contrast and certainly doesn't have the same 'look' as the 28 summicron asph which on the leica M is just wonderful but unfortunately is just awful on all A7 A7II and the A7s

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thank you, Manouch. Another prime to consider... well, let me see if the system and I get along. :)

Best,

Matt

V

Vivek

I to have this lens but I wouldn't say it doesn't suffer from smearing on the A7 or A7II especially wide open. It is quite a lot better on the A7s especially wide open but is quite low contrast and certainly doesn't have the same 'look' as the 28 summicron asph which on the leica M is just wonderful but unfortunately is just awful on all A7 A7II and the A7s
No smearing. Check the adapter you are using.

FWIW, I have compared the M 28/2 and the M Rokkor 28/2.8 side by side on the MM. No differences to report!

V

Vivek

Good wisdom and good advice!:D
Anytime, Lou! :)

BTW, you are one of the people I keep at a high esteem. Because of loyal supporters like you, Leica is in business and I get to enjoy the MM. :salute:

Viramati

No smearing. Check the adapter you are using.

FWIW, I have compared the M 28/2 and the M Rokkor 28/2.8 side by side on the MM. No differences to report!
I'm using the Voigtlander close focus adaptor and another Chinese one and all other leica lenses work as expected so I really don't feel this is question of the adaptor but I will test again

jonoslack

Michiel's photos with the Contax 24-85 are also compelling. Of course, we're all making a lot of judgements based on (very good) web resolution samples. :rolleyes:

Matt
I have the Contax 28-85 f3.3-4 Vario Sonnar: the poor man's Leica 28-90. I haven't tried on the Sony yet (it does well on the M 240), I shall have to dig through my Adapter chest and see if I've got the right one.

V

Vivek

I'm using the Voigtlander close focus adaptor and another Chinese one and all other leica lenses work as expected so I really don't feel this is question of the adaptor but I will test again
David, If the Leica M lenses (wide ones, especially) smear then the adapter makes no difference. In case of the M Rokkor 28/2.8 (also the 40/2), the close focus adapters pose real problems. Some of the cheap Chinese adapters (they have become really excellent of late!) do wonderfully well. Maximum clearance at the end of the adapter is the one to look out for. Also, let me add here that when looked at from the rear (what the sensor sees), my adapter mounted M Rokkor shows no shiny bits. This helps with the contrast and unexpected flares.

Viramati

More worryingly the IBIS mechanism has appeared to stop working all the time on mine. I thought this was a problem on Sunday and took the camera back to the store but of course it worked fine again when there. It is when using the adaptor that it doesn't seem to kick in all the time. If I mount the FE55 or 35 it works OK but not all the time with the adaptor. I can here it kicking in at start up and if I hold the camera to my ear I can hear a slight whirring but turning it on and off in the menus makes no difference to the visible camera shake.

Viramati

David, If the Leica M lenses (wide ones, especially) smear then the adapter makes no difference. In case of the M Rokkor 28/2.8 (also the 40/2), the close focus adapters pose real problems. Some of the cheap Chinese adapters (they have become really excellent of late!) do wonderfully well. Maximum clearance at the end of the adapter is the one to look out for. Also, let me add here that when looked at from the rear (what the sensor sees), my adapter mounted M Rokkor shows no shiny bits. This helps with the contrast and unexpected flares.
Have tried with my Chinese adaptor which is pretty well blacked out but can't really see any difference. Thanks

k-hawinkler

Well, intermittent problems are the hardest.
Can you exchange the camera for a new one?

That's one reason I prefer to buy from amazon.
It's easy with them to exchange an iten.

Viramati

I was going to on Sunday but it had started working again and I had it all set up with a GGS screen protector as well so was hoping for the best. Anyway I certain they will but will they have another one? Of course it seems to have woken up again!!

Godfrey

... I fear the 28mm FoV is the weak spot in most modern systems ...
It's funny: I've often avoided 28mm EFoV for one reason or another, but I did some testing with the Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 on the M9 (using lens code 11606) and A7 recently. I found that I liked how it rendered quite a lot. There is a small amount of color shifting visible, sometimes (can't remember which camera...), but otherwise it hits the numbers for me.

But I remain more of a 35mm EFoV person. :)

G