The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens for a7ii

Lamfeihong

I just pre-ordered the a7ii.i don't have any lenses for it . does anyone have any recommendations for lenses to get? I am interested in something like 35mm f1.8, but i dont see any native lenses that have these specs. Auto focus is important to me. What's the best way to accomplish this?

mesposito

Since it's a Fullframe sensor I recommend the FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Lens as one of your first lenses. Aside from it's incredible ratings for sharpness, it is well liked, and a longterm keeper.

There are no native superfast wide primes, but I'm sure others here will recommend their favorite adapted lens or zoom.

iiiNelson

If you don't mind adapting A-Mount lenses there's the Sony, Zeiss,and Sigma Art lenses that's fit your 35mm desire.

iiiNelson

If I use an A mount with an adapter, will I lose auto focus functionality? Also which mount would you recommend?
No you'll still retain AF with the LA-E4 adapter. I have a mix of lenses from various systems. The Sony Zeiss 35FE is a decent performer if you don't want to adapt. The 55FE is nearly an "essential" lens though some think it its "perfect."

Beyond that there's UWA, WA-Short Telephoto, and telephoto zooms as your FE mount AF choices. You can adapt any A-mount lens with the aforementioned adapter.

Lamfeihong

I read that using an adaptor I would lose 1/3 stop? Seems like that is quite a bit. Are there any other options with adaptors not to lose stop? Or is fe glass the only way to do it?

jfirneno

I read that using an adaptor I would lose 1/3 stop? Seems like that is quite a bit. Are there any other options with adaptors not to lose stop? Or is fe glass the only way to do it?
LAEA3 has no loss but you will lose AF. Sony has a 28mm f2 and a 35mm f/1.4 coming in (early?) 2015.

Paratom

IMO native FE-lenses are the best bet. If you want 35mm there is only the f2.8 at the Moment but I think there is a faster lens announced for next year.
I dont see that much sense in buying a small FF Body and then hanging massive big SLR-lenses on it and I doubt the handling would be great. However I really like the 35/1.4 Sigma on my 5dIII.

pegelli

Obviously 1/3 stop is not nothing, but in the grand scheme of things it's quite insignificant in my mind. It's the difference between shooting iso 100 or 125, f2.5 or 2.8, 1/100th or 1/125th sec.

So the Sigma or Sony 35/1.4 on an LA-EA4 will still be 1 2/3 stops faster than the native FE 35/2.8. For me the bigger bulk of the adapter and larger DSLR lens would be a bigger deal then losing the 1/3 stop.

ecsh

I use my Sigma 35mm 1.4 lens on my A7r with the LA EA4 adapter, and love the results. It is a larger package, but, its worth it in my opinion
Joe

iiiNelson

Yeah my intent was only to inform him/her of all of his/her AF options. I won't proceed to instruct upon what does or doesn't make sense for the user as its all subjective.

Lamfeihong

Obviously 1/3 stop is not nothing, but in the grand scheme of things it's quite insignificant in my mind. It's the difference between shooting iso 100 or 125, f2.5 or 2.8, 1/100th or 1/125th sec.

So the Sigma or Sony 35/1.4 on an LA-EA4 will still be 1 2/3 stops faster than the native FE 35/2.8. For me the bigger bulk of the adapter and larger DSLR lens would be a bigger deal then losing the 1/3 stop.
correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't 1/3 mean that a f2.8 would go to f3.6? it seems that i'd be taking my full frame sony and essentially making it a crop frame...

pegelli

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't 1/3 mean that a f2.8 would go to f3.6? it seems that i'd be taking my full frame sony and essentially making it a crop frame...
Nope, I have to correct you because you're mistaken (you asked ;) ), f2.8 with 1/3 stop loss becomes f3.2 with still the same DOF as f2.8. Only less light reaching the sensor but no impact on aperture or DOF. The f3.6 you say would be losing more than 2/3 stop (2/3 stop loss is f 3.5).

Lamfeihong

Nope, I have to correct you because you're mistaken (you asked ;) ), f2.8 with 1/3 stop loss becomes f3.2 with still the same DOF as f2.8. Only less light reaching the sensor but no impact on aperture or DOF. The f3.6 you say would be losing more than 2/3 stop (2/3 stop loss is f 3.5).
Ah! Thanks for the clarification. very interesting. I'm still a noob here.

will a lens such as the Sony 35mm 1.8 one work on the a7?

Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS Alpha E-mount Prime Lens SEL35F18 B&H Photo

JSRockit

I just pre-ordered the a7ii.i don't have any lenses for it . does anyone have any recommendations for lenses to get? I am interested in something like 35mm f1.8, but i dont see any native lenses that have these specs. Auto focus is important to me. What's the best way to accomplish this?
What's wrong with the Zeiss 55mm 1.8? Also, shouldn't you have researched lenses before buying a body?