The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

some wishes for the A9

Paratom

OK, here is my personal wishlist for the Sony A9:
- Give it a Display on the top side like DSLRs so that I can easily and quickly see the most important Settings.
- Reduce the number of Buttons, increase the size of Buttons, and lable the Buttons. More like the user Interface of a DSLR.
- Give it 4k in camera without external Recorder
- let us choose in auot-iso to set the longest exposure time before camera increases ISO so that I can use auo iso also for non-static things
- Give us a mode so I can use the viewfinder for framing and the Display for Review (maybe possible allready and I didnt find the Setting?)
-give it a 24MP with a nice compromise between Resolution and high iso capability so that I dont have to own 2 bodies (one for low light and one for Resolution)
-of course in Body stabi like A7II would be nice

Overall I am pretty fine with AF-Speed, IQ (besides Color sometimes), viewfinder Quality and build of the A7s. I also dont Need any new Gimmicks.
But I think the camera could use a more straight Forward user Interface.

Annna T

OK, here is my personal wishlist for the Sony A9:
- Give it a Display on the top side like DSLRs so that I can easily and quickly see the most important Settings.
- Reduce the number of Buttons, increase the size of Buttons, and lable the Buttons. More like the user Interface of a DSLR.
- Give it 4k in camera without external Recorder
- let us choose in auot-iso to set the longest exposure time before camera increases ISO so that I can use auo iso also for non-static things
- Give us a mode so I can use the viewfinder for framing and the Display for Review (maybe possible allready and I didnt find the Setting?)
-give it a 24MP with a nice compromise between Resolution and high iso capability so that I dont have to own 2 bodies (one for low light and one for Resolution)
-of course in Body stabi like A7II would be nice

Overall I am pretty fine with AF-Speed, IQ (besides Color sometimes), viewfinder Quality and build of the A7s. I also dont Need any new Gimmicks.
But I think the camera could use a more straight Forward user Interface.
Two tips for your A7r :
A) Concerning the top settings display: just flip the LCD up, it will be more comfortable to read than a small bad lighted LED window. If you use the up arrow on the directional wheel, the LCD will circle through different shooting frames, most with settings overimposed on what you are framing, but one of them will show you only the settings activated, without any picture, it has bigger more readable characters and icons and presents you more infos than the top display of DSLRs.
B) Concerning picture reviewing after taking a shot : set the FINDER/MONITOR option to "Auto". Then as soon as you release the shutter take your eye off the VF and the picture will appear on the LCD. As simple as that. (This option lies in the cogwheel menu, page three).

Last edited:
V

Vivek

One more tip for your A7/A7s (if you still have it):

Go to Menu --> Suitcase icon--> page 1

Audio Signals turn it Off.

This silences the AF when focus is achieved (no beeps).

This is a one time setting and part of priming the camera.

These are very versatile cameras with a lot of functionality. They can also be used with very few functions (just like in a high end CaNikon DSLR). Learn to use them wisely.

Most of the time, I use my A7r with manual focus lenses just like I use my Leica MM, only here the liveview and precise focus anywhere in the frame makes it that much more useful than relying on mechanical links and factory settings.

Paratom

Thanks for the tips. Turning of the beep is the first Thing I do with all cameras.
Regarding Annas TIP with the Auto Setting: thats how I do use the camera.
It works fine but not great because:
it means the Display is on all the time and not just for the Review time -> battery or switching the camera off and on all the time (how I do it)
als if you want to take more than one Frame in a raw you will have the Display in the viewfinder which I dont like at all. Thats why I have set Image Review time to 0/off and if I Review on the Display I have to press Play button.

It works but I think it would work much better for me to normally use the viewfinder for framing and the Display for reviewing and another Display for being switched on all the time and showing the f-stop/exp time/WB and things like that.

But of course I still have my A7s (and A7) because even though I have wishes for a future Body I dont find the A7s bad at all.

In contrast to Vivek I prefer to use the A7s with AF lenses and to use M lenses on the M, where I dont have to activate viewfinder magnification by pressing a button two times and where I can frame and focus at the same time, I am also fine with factory settings - as long as they make sense. But I assume ist a matter of taste, some like it simple and some People like to have all possible choices.
When I had my first cell phone I knew every function etc. Today I am not motivated any more to learn each function, I just want a phone with good voice Quality, Long battery life and where I can find everything without having to spend much time to learn the whole thing.

In regards of cameras my Problem is maybe that I am not using just one. This means sometimes a System is not used for weeks and then ist importnt for me to feel at home fast again.
I guess for someone using the same System every day it migh tbe different.

I am fascinated by products where you have an intuitive user Interface, just like I am fascinated by People who can explain difficult things with simple words.

V

Vivek

Quite right, Tom. :)

This what these discussion fora are for.

I have had a tough time menu diving to change the ISO in the Leica MM, for example. There is only one way to it and it is not fast.

Paratom

Quite right, Tom. :)

This what these discussion fora are for.

I have had a tough time menu diving to change the ISO in the Leica MM, for example. There is only one way to it and it is not fast.
There is one button labeled "iso" which you have to press and then just turn the wheel. Why you feel it is not fast? Because one has to press a button first?

V

Vivek

Yes. Don't ask me about the exposure compensation settings.

These are readily assigned in an E mount camera and are at my command anytime I need them and where I need them to be. I can change them without looking at the buttons or dials.

Paratom

Yes. Don't ask me about the exposure compensation settings.

These are readily assigned in an E mount camera and are at my command anytime I need them and where I need them to be. I can change them without looking at the buttons or dials.
Hey, I will mark this red in my calendar-we agree on one thing: exp compension button is better on the A7 than in the MM...even though its fine in theM type240 (just turn the wheel) :eek:

fotografz

Thanks for the tips. Turning of the beep is the first Thing I do with all cameras.
Regarding Annas TIP with the Auto Setting: thats how I do use the camera.
It works fine but not great because:
it means the Display is on all the time and not just for the Review time -> battery or switching the camera off and on all the time (how I do it)
als if you want to take more than one Frame in a raw you will have the Display in the viewfinder which I dont like at all. Thats why I have set Image Review time to 0/off and if I Review on the Display I have to press Play button.

It works but I think it would work much better for me to normally use the viewfinder for framing and the Display for reviewing and another Display for being switched on all the time and showing the f-stop/exp time/WB and things like that.

But of course I still have my A7s (and A7) because even though I have wishes for a future Body I dont find the A7s bad at all.

In contrast to Vivek I prefer to use the A7s with AF lenses and to use M lenses on the M, where I dont have to activate viewfinder magnification by pressing a button two times and where I can frame and focus at the same time, I am also fine with factory settings - as long as they make sense. But I assume ist a matter of taste, some like it simple and some People like to have all possible choices.
When I had my first cell phone I knew every function etc. Today I am not motivated any more to learn each function, I just want a phone with good voice Quality, Long battery life and where I can find everything without having to spend much time to learn the whole thing.

In regards of cameras my Problem is maybe that I am not using just one. This means sometimes a System is not used for weeks and then ist importnt for me to feel at home fast again.

I am fascinated by products where you have an intuitive user Interface, just like I am fascinated by People who can explain difficult things with simple words.
I'm of a like mind.

I never understand complexity when simplicity will suffice. Unfortunately complexity has become synonymous with value ... "less is more", has given way to "more never seems enough".

In upcoming cameras I'd like to see technology used to let the photographer order any and all functions in a LCD menu to their liking, and hide any they do not want. Plug in your camera to a computer, open the menu app, drag and drop build your menu, done.

- Marc

4season

Add lightness, more tactile feedback.

Lens index marks are too tiny: Make them big, and fix things so that I can jam the lens on any ole way and still have it line up properly.

MF and DMF modes: Give me some sort of @#$#$ indication whether I'm twirling the focus ring in the correct direction and whether I've reached the limit.

Super ultra-bright EVF for those occasions when you're photographing sunlit snow (probably a lawsuit waiting to happen though)

Doors covering battery, card and i/o ports: Lose them.

JorisV

I really like the A7s and the changes I would like to see are very much in line with the ones from Paratom:

- more MP, preferably 24MP or at least 18MP
- no so interested in shooting M lenses either, I do that on my M9, more native lenses please
- 4k in camera is fairly obvious IMO
- better battery life, even in airplane mode it is not good enough IMO

djonesii

Workshop Member
A good F4 24 70 ..... a 5.6 300mm
Lack of native lenses are keeping me out for the moment ...

Love to body style.

Dave

Paratom

A good F4 24 70 ..... a 5.6 300mm
Lack of native lenses are keeping me out for the moment ...

Love to body style.

Dave
What do you dislike with the current 24-70 ?
I know some of the critism but I am pretty fine with it so far. I wonder if its also sample variation?

Godfrey

Gosh, you folks never let up! Always wanting another camera with more more more...!

I don't know how you manage it; I don't have the energy. I just want to do some photography now—what I have is already as good as is needed.

G