The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - very soft edges & corners with Canon 24-70 II

soboyle

This subject has probably been beat to death, but I'm just getting into both Sony and using it with my Canon lenses for the first time.
First tests this morning were not very encouraging. Granted, low light, hand held, but what I'm seeing is sharp center and very soft corners and edges using the canon 24-70 II with the Metabones 4 adapter.
Will do more extensive test later today with tripod, but I had read that the Canon lenses performed very well with this camera, so am surprised to see such soft edges.
So my question is - is this typical, if not where might the problem be?

turtle

I haven't shot my 24-70 II on my A7R, but my 16-28 Tokina and other Canon EF fit lenses are superb on the A7R and I do not have these issues.

What is performance like with other Canon EF lenses on the A7R metabones combo?
Do you have any similarly wide lenses you can try?
Is it the same issue at 24mm and 70mm?

turtle

Also, please confirm of the peripheral and corner softness is uniform on all edges and corners or only some.

soboyle

In Fred Miranda's review of the metabones on Sony:
"...I had sample variation among the different Metabones adapters I tested. Before you start out, it’s crucial to get a well-centered adapter. Any mount tilt will translate to blurry edges when using ultra wide lenses."
This sounds like what I am seeing.

turtle

yep, most likely. This is why I was curious about asymmetry. Often shows up more with wide angles than longer focal lengths, as they say.