The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Manual Focus Settings for A7r

soboyle

Manually focusing my canon lenses on the A7r - any recommended settings?
Currently I have C3 set to Focus magnifier, then I have to hit the center button on the wheel to get magnification.
Is there a more direct one button way to get magnification while using Canon lenses?
With Sony lenses I think I can set focus mode to DMF (direct manual focus) but doesn't work with my canon lenses.

V

Vivek

More than one push is needed.

I still have the factory settings, C1. Push once to bring up the rectangle. Twice to magnify to 7X and one more time to 14X (the same C1 button).

iiiNelson

Yeah I've gone through multiple settings early on until I made one that really worked for the bulk of my situations. I agree that focus magnification on C1 makes the most sense for most people that adapt lenses.

soboyle

Thanks - yes, I like it at C1, makes sense. I'm used to having the iso there from my Fuji, but will get used to it.
Just picked up this body last week, first Sony, so new menu system.
Any other custom settings that work well for manual focus with this camera?
I am trying a couple of the Sony Zeiss lenses, the 35 is on order, and I'm sending back the first 24-70 f/4 and am trying a 2nd. Very soft at edges, the metabones and canon 24-70II is better.
I do like the size of that Zeiss lens and want it to work.

iiiNelson

Thanks - yes, I like it at C1, makes sense. I'm used to having the iso there from my Fuji, but will get used to it.
Just picked up this body last week, first Sony, so new menu system.
Any other custom settings that work well for manual focus with this camera?
I am trying a couple of the Sony Zeiss lenses, the 35 is on order, and I'm sending back the first 24-70 f/4 and am trying a 2nd. Very soft at edges, the metabones and canon 24-70II is better.
I do like the size of that Zeiss lens and want it to work.
The 55 FE is so much better than the 35 FE it's not even funny. The 35 and 50 Loxia are starting to trickle out as well. They're getting better reviews as well.

soboyle

Yeah, I just read through a thread here about the Sony 35 f/2.8.
Doesn't sound promising, but will hope for a good copy. If not then what are others using for a 35 on the A7 and A7r?
Maybe wait for the loxia, but do want a walk around lens with af.
The 55 1.8 sounds excellent, but it's not a focal length I use as often, and the price is high.

iiiNelson

Yeah, I just read through a thread here about the Sony 35 f/2.8.
Doesn't sound promising, but will hope for a good copy. If not then what are others using for a 35 on the A7 and A7r?
Maybe wait for the loxia, but do want a walk around lens with af.
The 55 1.8 sounds excellent, but it's not a focal length I use as often, and the price is high.
It's not that the 35 FE is bad. It's not a bad lens. It's just not as special as the 55 nor as good as many other 35's that I've used.

Viramati

I too use C1 for focus magnification. As to the FE35 for certain uses it is an excellent lens and for what it lacks in so called 'character' (mostly due to the f2.8 max aperture and thus not having a very shallow DOF) it makes up with being very small and light and for street work on the A7s makes for a small, inconspicuous and light package (my versions is sharp corner to corner at 2.8). I have the CV 35/1.2 v2 which though large and heavy is a lens with loads of character', beautiful bokeh wide open and when stopped down to F2.8-4 at least equals the FE35 for edge to edge sharpness and micro-detail. The FE55 is indeed a most wonderful lens and I doubt it will be bettered by the loxia.
the FE24-70 does seem to be a problematic lens for many and I had to send my first one back but am reasonably happy with my 2nd copy. I don't know how it is on the A7r but on the A7 it is good but when mounted on the A7s it really seems to come alive and almost seems to be a different lens. the main problem I find with it is getting any landscape shots in focus accuratley with infinity or near to infinity subjects across the frame even at 70mm. I think it has some really strange sort of field curvature.

iiiNelson

I too use C1 for focus magnification. As to the FE35 for certain uses it is an excellent lens and for what it lacks in so called 'character' (mostly due to the f2.8 max aperture and thus not having a very shallow DOF) it makes up with being very small and light and for street work on the A7s makes for a small, inconspicuous and light package (my versions is sharp corner to corner at 2.8). I have the CV 35/1.2 v2 which though large and heavy is a lens with loads of character', beautiful bokeh wide open and when stopped down to F2.8-4 at least equals the FE35 for edge to edge sharpness and micro-detail. The FE55 is indeed a most wonderful lens and I doubt it will be bettered by the loxia.
the FE24-70 does seem to be a problematic lens for many and I had to send my first one back but am reasonably happy with my 2nd copy. I don't know how it is on the A7r but on the A7 it is good but when mounted on the A7s it really seems to come alive and almost seems to be a different lens. the main problem I find with it is getting any landscape shots in focus accuratley with infinity or near to infinity subjects across the frame even at 70mm. I think it has some really strange sort of field curvature.
I had the 24-70 and a good copy of it nonetheless. It was a lot better on the A7 than the A7r which is why I'm somewhat a bit harsh on the 35FE. It's significantly better on the A7 than the A7r and if a native lens isn't impressive on both bodies I see no need for me to keep it when I have none native lenses that are. I've swapped my 35FE in theory and at least the short term for the Sigma 35 Art while keeping an eye out for the 35 Distagon and 35 Loxia.

I'm one of those people that don't mind size if I gain a significant jump in IQ.

soboyle

The FE 35 arrived, did a few test shots at lunchtime. First impressions look good. No obvious decentering, images are sharp to the edges. Corners show a little fall of in sharpness, but within my tolerance. Really very good. Can see the vignetting I read about, but quickly fixed in post. Close up shots wide open show a nice bokeh. So it's a keeper, and I'm happy because I wanted a small sharp lens with AF for this camera, in keeping with the body size.