The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PSA> Loxia 35 in stock

V

Vivek

Unfortunately, despite their good looks, Loxia have not been worth their tag or their price.

V

Vivek

I really wanted believe that but am very disappointed.

What started out as a fun project of mounting a Yashica Electro 35 45/1.7 for the E mount, got me to the Yashinon 35/1.8. A planar clone (6/4), unfortunately was made with a ghastly 2 bladed diaphram. The lens is so impressive on the A7r (not the s!) that I am rebuilding it with a 5 bladed diaphram. Trying to put a new diaphram in a lens isn't trivial and is the most challenging I have ever done. It is all worth it because the lens is that good.

It is far easier for me to push the buy button on the Loxia. I won't do it because these aren't worth having.

philber

Vivek, I beg to differ. I won a Loxia 50 and really enjoy that lens. Not flawless, but what lens is, short of Otus 55 or Summicron 50 APO maybe. But, as an all-round take-anywhere, shoot-anything, it is a gem.

iiiNelson

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree that the Loxia's are probably worth it considering they're improved ZM lenses. The ZM 50 Planar may still be my favorite 50 that I've owned and I even have the newest 50 Lux ASPH FLE.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Are there some tests on the 35mm that we can see. The lens sounds like a good shoe in for a small 35mm lens.

V

Vivek

The opinions on Loxia are like interest rates in Switzerland and Russia. I think they are over priced &^%$*&.

Guy Mancuso

Price is subjective of course. Not happy its 1350 dollars either but if its good than folks will overlook costs versus quality sometimes. Otus lenses are a clear case of that when these new Sigma Art lenses are just a shade behind them. That's big money but we always have to remember this some folks money is not the issue at all. They also keep the industry rolling too.

V

Vivek

I understand that Guy. Given that these are tweaked range finder lenses with no range finder coupling to worry about, I would expect to cost a lot less than the RF lenses.

The 35/2 corners are still disappointing. It may be better than the ZM biogon but it is not ready for prime time, at any price, it looks like.

Guy Mancuso

I may hold out for the 28 f2 myself. I really like to hear delivery dates on a lot of stuff right now so I can plan. The Sigma 50 Art for Sony came out before I expected it too and I went and bought a ZA 50 1.4 to hold me over. I'm in mental debate if I should switch. I would like a razor in that focal wide open

V

Vivek

I will be buying the Sony 28/2 just as an encouragement to make their own lenses and not any of the Zeiss labelled stuff.

biglouis

I would be very interested to see some good independent results on this lens.

I'm a bit off Sony 'Zeiss' or Zeiss products as I feel I was really burned by the FE 35/2.8.

I'm hoping the 35/1.4 will be as good as the FE 55/1.8.

I paid top dollar to have one of the first FE 35/2.8's and sold it for half that 6 months later as I was so completely unimpressed and wanted some money towards the Leica 35/2 I bought as a replacement.

LouisB

iiiNelson

I may hold out for the 28 f2 myself. I really like to hear delivery dates on a lot of stuff right now so I can plan. The Sigma 50 Art for Sony came out before I expected it too and I went and bought a ZA 50 1.4 to hold me over. I'm in mental debate if I should switch. I would like a razor in that focal wide open
You know you'll buy the Sigma 50 Art...

iiiNelson

I understand that Guy. Given that these are tweaked range finder lenses with no range finder coupling to worry about, I would expect to cost a lot less than the RF lenses.

The 35/2 corners are still disappointing. It may be better than the ZM biogon but it is not ready for prime time, at any price, it looks like.
While I would've preferred that they'd use the new ZM35/1.4 as a starting point I think the point of the 35 Loxia is to be an all around reportage type lens. I think both Loxia's are slightly overpriced (although reasonable) but the prices of the ZM's have raised quite a bit since I first bought mine.

philber

It is easy to call the Loxia overpriced, and I'd love to do that like many of you. But, for me to be able to do that, I need to find a better lens at the same price, or a similar lens that is cheaper. I am therefore all ears for your enlightened suggestions. Please note that I had a FE 55 and it was really not to my taste. Yes, it was very sharp at all times, but its lack of colour differentiation robbed it of appeal in my case, and I tried 3 to avoid the proverbial "bad copy".

Viramati

I too will wait for the FE 28 or the FE35/1.4 as I think the loxia is expensive option of a manual focus lens. I agree the FE35 was very expensive on release (when I bought mine) and I agree it lacks any special 'wow' factor but on the other hand it is very small and incredibly light and now that they can be picked up used for a reasonable price make for a very small package. I also find it's IQ to be very good at all apertures. My favourite 35mm lens for the way it renders is the CV 35/1.2 v2 which unfortunately makes for the total opposite to a small light weight package

cam

You know you'll buy the Sigma 50 Art...
What is the draw of the Sigma (I know someone here must have shot it on another mount)?

Same for the ZM35/1.4?

I'm loving the AF on the 55/1.8 but would prefer more curvature in a lens (more old school Leica)…

TIA