The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IBIS issue A7II

Godfrey

So now I understand everything on this post.:eek:

One MUST buy a Sony non-OSS lens along with the a7II if you want legacy glass to work. So now the body will cost another $800 to $1000!!:lecture:

Sony must be laughing.:ROTFL:
hmm. I don't own any Sony lenses, and I'm not about to buy any. Maybe I'll just buy an M-P instead.

G

Viramati

Fine work uncovering what sounds very much like a firmware bug.

I have a few questions.

Does it work if you remove the battery?

Suppose you turn off the OSS on a lens with a switch and then mount it?

Does it work if you mount a non-OSS A mount lens via adapter?

What about mounting any lens via the sony A mount adapter?

Suppose you do a reset on the camera?

I don't expect anyone to go out of their way to do any of these but I am curious.

I only have the regular A7 but my Sony FE lenses are all OSS so I would probably wait to get the A7mII until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for any feedback and thanks again for discovering this.

-Bill
1. removing battery makes no difference
2. the 24-70 and 16-35 can not have OSS turned off on the lens. I don't have the 70-200
3. Don't have A mount adaptor
4. reseting makes no difference

Viramati

Without wanting to put a damper on anyone's creativity it would be great if we could stick on topic as I have sent a link to this thread to Sony telling them that we are serious bunch and this is a good place to get info on the problem;)

Last edited:

dandrewk

Without wanting to put a damper on anyone's creativity it would be great if we could stick on topic as I have sent a link to this thread to Sony telling them that we are serious bunch and this is a good place to get info on the problem;)
Yes, we are a serious bunch, and yes, it's an issue Sony needs to look into.

Now, please stop yelling.

Viramati

Sorry but I'm not yelling so no need to insult me, I brought this issue up and am trying to do my best to get it sorted for all of us. I post some things in a larger typeface as otherwise things can get easily lost.

dandrewk

Sorry but I'm not yelling so no need to insult me, I brought this issue up and am trying to do my best to get it sorted for all of us. I post some things in a larger typeface as otherwise things can get easily lost.
Asking you to please behave with common net etiquette is "insulting?". Wow.

Please assume we can all read posts without having them scream in large bold print.

V

Vivek

Dandrewk, Please! David has been up for 2 days grappling with this problem.

Godfrey

Dandrewk, Please! David has been up for 2 days grappling with this problem.
LOL! Not to be disparaging, but I'm sure it's not a life-threatening issue ...

It's a new-product glitch. Document it, report it, and hope that Sony will fix it. There's nothing else you can do, so you workaround it. To wit:
"If you fit a lens with OSS, first fit a native lens without OSS before you go to use an adapted, manual lens."

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
onwards,

G

Viramati

LOL! Not to be disparaging, but I'm sure it's not a life-threatening issue ...

It's a new-product glitch. Document it, report it, and hope that Sony will fix it. There's nothing else you can do, so you workaround it. To wit:
"If you fit a lens with OSS, first fit a native lens without OSS before you go to use an adapted, manual lens."

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
onwards,

G
Not sure if I would only call it a glitch, what if you only have the FE OSS lenses and legacy manual/non-electronic lenses and want to use IBIS? As yet I haven't found a workaround for this scenario and if I was in this position having just bought the camera I would be be more than 'hoping' Sony will fix it. Anyway the ball is now in their court and I have been told to keep in contact and they will be back to me in the first half of next week. In the meantime I will forward them any more info we get from actual users of the camera and hopefully the input from this forum will help us towards a solution

k-hawinkler

Fuji is really raising the bar for firmware updates.
It will be interesting for me to see whether Sony will meet that challenge!

Viramati

So somewhat in conclusion what appears to be happening to me is that after using an OSS lens the camera needs some sort of feedback from an electronic lenses circitury and in the absence of this feedback the camera doesn't realise that it needs to turn IBIS fully back on.
Anyway getting late in the Uk so good night and sweet dreams to you all

dandrewk

Thanks to David for finding the firmware bug and work around.
There is no need to poopoo that!
Nobody here has "poopoo"d or "insulted" anybody. Nobody is denying the possibility of an issue. But that's no reason to continually use bolded, largest fonts (shouting) to make points. In many forums, that's a violation of forum rules. Many think it rude.

I thought this was obvious, and I'm sorry I brought it up. Can we just please drop this?

k-hawinkler

Yes you are right, I was too lazy to check and not recording exactly; here is one graph (there is another one including legacy glass on a third raw, but I wasn't able to find it)

Many thanks. Here is my question:
How well does the Sony IBIS perform when comparing native to non-native lenses of similar focal length?
So, how different behave the 5-axis versions for native lenses as compared to the 3-axis version for non-native lenses in terms of number of stabilization stops achieved?
TIA.

Godfrey

Not sure if I would only call it a glitch, what if you only have the FE OSS lenses and legacy manual/non-electronic lenses and want to use IBIS? As yet I haven't found a workaround for this scenario and if I was in this position having just bought the camera I would be be more than 'hoping' Sony will fix it. ...
Well, that's unfortunate. But of course Sony designed the camera to use their lenses designed for it. Compatibility with adapted lenses (other than their own SLR lens line) is, in the end, not their priority.

Sorry to say it, but I see little substantive that obligates Sony to correct this glitch other than their desire to enhance good will with the customer base. That may be compelling enough for them, of course.

Anyway the ball is now in their court and I have been told to keep in contact and they will be back to me in the first half of next week. In the meantime I will forward them any more info we get from actual users of the camera and hopefully the input from this forum will help us towards a solution.
Short of hacking the firmware, I cannot imagine how you'd fix this glitch.

I haven't read the whole thread. Have you tried a master reset to the defaults to allow using manual lenses with the IS active after using an OSS lens?

G

monza

In some markets Sony is bundling third party lens adapters worth hundreds of dollars with A7x bodies. Sony knows people are tied to their existing glass...and it's easier to sell a native lens to someone who got hooked on Sony by first being able to adapt the lenses they already own.

So it could be argued they have plenty of incentive here...

Last edited: