The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Calibrated Monitors

jfirneno

I posted this in the imaging forum yesterday but I guess it's pretty quiet over there. So I figured this is a busier neighborhood with more foot traffic. I am looking to get a 27" monitor that allows for accurate color calibration. I have heard that NEC and Eizo have some very good ones but I'm far from an expert on the subject. Also I am interested in a color calibrator that will work on the selected monitor without me having to become an expert in software management. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
John

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
John,

Eizo and NEC are probably the best mid priced solution and they both have an option for hardware calibration as a built-in feature.

I have a Dell U2711 non-4K but does 98% of Adobe RBG...calibration with the Eye-One Match and their higher end spectrophotometer is dead easy and very consistent...

The software drives your calibration in steps ... will give you a reminder to recalibrate based on length of time you specify. Previously it was a bit of a kludge but now is fairly MAC aware and simple to use.

Their Match 3 software with the higher end spectro allows paper profiling if you are so inclined.

My next monitor will likely be 4K when they have a Adobe RGB aware and easily profiled monitor that allows for text scaling as the fonts are difficult on my present 27 inch.

While the Eye-One seems pricey at first it really will serve you for years without any additional cost.

Bob

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
<-- Happy recent NEC 27" user. I bought the i1Display Pro and Spectraview software separately. Once you calibrate it, images just look right. One then relaxes, as the standard "is it the image or the monitor I'm seeing" question fades and one edits in confidence.

Wish I'd gotten the 30", but the price difference was large, and frugality shown on one purchase justifies any number of unnecessary acquisitions down the road!:ROTFL:

--Matt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use the NEC 27 inch now with supplied calibration hardware and software but I did own the 30 inch version. 27 seems just about perfect for my desktop and don't miss the 30 anymore.

jfirneno

Bob, Matt and Guy:

Thanks much for your quick and helpful posts. DPI is an excellent resource and full of friendly folks.

Regards,
John