The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering a A7R?

fotografz

Can this be done?

We are integrating Hensel's Freemask system using Mask Integrator software which eliminates the tedious task of outlining complex subjects.

It requires that the camera be tethered to a computer.

My A7R is at a different location right now so I can't work out if it is possible.

Thanks,

- Marc

V

Vivek

It requires that the camera be tethered to a computer.
It does not for most purposes. You can assign any of the two frames in your computer as the mask.

It is a pity that this software does not include an app for Sony to take advantage of the NFC and WiFi capabilities.

If you need to go the old fashioned way, use RCC Sony eSupport - ILCE-7 - Drivers & Software

Although, if your presumptions (shutter lag and such are) to be believed, the Hensel software would be useless with the A7r. Hensel mask apparently requires AFC of 11 frames/s and only 1/10s delay or less between two consecutive frames (according to Hensel).

fotografz

I think those drivers are for controlling the camera from the computer Vivek, but it doesn't say anything about importing the files shot back into the computer.

I had hoped someone had worked out a way to tether using a hot folder that showed up in Lightroom.

The software allows you to see successive shots with any sort of background you may want to use … and then alter subject lighting to match the background … thus the need for tethered capture.

A minimum of 3 FPS is required for Free-Mask which the A7R can do … 10 FPS is to assure something like blowing hair on a model will work and can be separated from the background. Not many cameras do 10 or 11 FPS.

- Marc

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Unfortunately, Sony's Remote Camera Control crashes in OS X 10.10, so if you use the current Mac OS, this won't work.

Capture One v8.1 does work (I just tried it with an A7II), and you can set LR5 to watch the Capture folder and Auto Import (I tried it - it works).

Not pretty, but perhaps good enough?

--Matt

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Right on Matt, thanks for checking that and posting the result. Hard to say when that is going to be fixed too, you know what Mavericks are like! :ROTFL:

Version 8.1 Capture One Pro for Sony adds Live-View Tethered Capture for Sony A7S, A7II and A77II. The A7R is not supported, for some reason. Possibly needs a firmware update first?

Capture One Express for Sony does not support tethered capture according to my C1 source.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I thought I had the A7r working just recently. But have not tried it with latest update of C1.
I'll try it today

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I thought I had the A7r working just recently. But have not tried it with latest update of C1.
I'll try it today
Looking forward to hearing the results of your test Guy. The camera I would want to tether is my A7R, not my A7S. I need the greater megapixels for my tabletop work. It would sure be nice to be able to see my focus up large in Live View on my old 30" ACD before tripping the shutter.

These old eyes of mine just aren't up to peering at a tiny screen on the back or in the viewfinder for focus when the work is this critical. Focus bracketing is such a pain in the arse, and at best a hit and miss proposition.

Guy Mancuso

Okay Capture 1 8.01

Sony A7II everything works perfectly including live view

Sony A7R tethers like normal but no live view. Its not supported yet but my bet that will change with a update.

here is the good news. You can use magnified view also to focus
and you can use AF. It will not use focus peak on computer

Guy Mancuso

Also side not and OT if you have the A7II get the vertical grip. It does rock

I can't wait till they update the A7R

JMaher

Tethering also works directly with Lightroom and an A7r. I was able to shoot tethered directly and control some of the parameters on the computer (I forget the exact details as it has been awhile.) I was also able to set it up to pull from a hot file. That system didn't really provide tethering but it allowed me to capture the files directly in Lightroom and then send them to a monitor so that the model and I were able to see and makes changes as we shot.

DennisHHH

I've almost totally abandoned tethering with my A7r and most of the time use Sony Smart Remote instead. It let's me use my galaxy note to view the images remotely and touch focus. All the files are saved to the card in the camera which I prefer anyways. Brian Smith has a detailed explanation at http://briansmith.com/sony-smart-remote-embbedded-app/ Sony is still way behind Nikon or Canon as far as the third-party programs but is catching up rapidly.

Guy Mancuso

I removed smart remote from my system at first C1 needed it but now with new version it's not needed at all. You could also use Capture Pilot on your mobile device but you still need a computer in place on set.

fotografz

Thank You everyone! Lots to digest, and then try when I get hands on my A7R again.

One thing I didn't consider is that the software for Hensel's Free Mask may directly tether anyway … but the info about the USB tether cord was helpful.

- Marc

fotografz

Screwed.

The Sony Remote software is for OSX 7 to OS X 9. My laptop is 10.6 and my iMac is 10.10

I still tried. Neither work.

I've never been able to get any Sony Software to work. It's always something or another.

- Marc