The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering a A7R?

ShooterSteve

Screwed.

The Sony Remote software is for OSX 7 to OS X 9. My laptop is 10.6 and my iMac is 10.10

I still tried. Neither work.

I've never been able to get any Sony Software to work. It's always something or another.

- Marc
The Sony Remote software works fine for me with OS 10.10.3 when I test it. I use C1Pro all the time but when I run the Sony software it seems to work fine. Just no live view yet on any tethered software. For that I sometimes use the iPad with the app built into the Sony A7R camera.

BJNY

The Sony Remote software works fine for me with OS 10.10.3 when I test it. I use C1Pro all the time but when I run the Sony software it seems to work fine. Just no live view yet on any tethered software. For that I sometimes use the iPad with the app built into the Sony A7R camera.
Is it possible to use Capture One and PlayMemories apps concurrently?
(e.g. Sony camera capturing to computer via USB, and tap-to-focus on smartphone/tablet via Wi-Fi)

Is it possible to use Capture One and PlayMemories apps concurrently?
(e.g. Sony camera capturing to computer via USB, and tap-to-focus on smartphone/tablet via Wi-Fi)
No, I tired it with the latest camera and application update installed and it won't work. Hence that's why I was asking about the update Guy mentioned. The A7r has no live view while tethered. This is absolutely a joke. I have no idea how people who need live view are using it.

The A7r has no live view while tethered. This is absolutely a joke. I have no idea how people who need live view are using it.
I'm not sure what you mean, Abdul. I always shoot tethered. By the way, I've been using the A7r tethered to C1 Pro for months now and it's worked great for me.
As for LiveView, I'm usually using that on camera, not through the software, which works better for me. If you want a large image, you can feed the HDMI out to a field monitor. Also, though, LiveView through C1 Pro works fine on my Mac. The zoom-in doesn't seem to do anything, but I get a feed with no issues.

CB

I'm not sure what you mean, Abdul. I always shoot tethered. By the way, I've been using the A7r tethered to C1 Pro for months now and it's worked great for me.
As for LiveView, I'm usually using that on camera, not through the software, which works better for me. If you want a large image, you can feed the HDMI out to a field monitor. Also, though, LiveView through C1 Pro works fine on my Mac. The zoom-in doesn't seem to do anything, but I get a feed with no issues.

CB
Correct, there is no live view on the computer screen using tethering software. I don't have C1 Pro but I read about the update that included support for Sony cameras and it listed the A7r as "tethering support" only with no live view (see link below). Only more recent models such as the A7II offered live view in C1. Did Phase update C1 recently to support live view on the A7R specifically??

LINK: ILCE-A7R Yes Yes Pro Only: Tether support

iiiNelson

Correct, there is no live view on the computer screen using tethering software. I don't have C1 Pro but I read about the update that included support for Sony cameras and it listed the A7r as "tethering support" only with no live view (see link below). Only more recent models such as the A7II offered live view in C1. Did Phase update C1 recently to support live view on the A7R specifically??

LINK: ILCE-A7R Yes Yes Pro Only: Tether support
Its not a C1P issue. It's an "issue" with the camera. Sony upgraded the components starting with the A7s so that why it and the A7II has live view on the computer. I suspect that the A7R too will as well.

Different people different karma.
I tried using C1Pro 8.1, it worked perfect as I was trying. Every time I went in a job it let me down, it happened with the Nikon D800 and the Sony A7R. The problem was never the cable as I could connect to other software.
Now I'm using Sony Remote Camera Control along with Bridge for viewing.
This is what works for me all times.

Different people different karma.
I tried using C1Pro 8.1, it worked perfect as I was trying. Every time I went in a job it let me down, it happened with the Nikon D800 and the Sony A7R. The problem was never the cable as I could connect to other software.
Now I'm using Sony Remote Camera Control along with Bridge for viewing.
This is what works for me all times.
I am going to download the trail version of Capture One Pro to try this. Does Bridge auto load the pictures as soon as you take them? If so, how did you set it up? I tired searching for this, but could not find anything.

EDIT: NVM, I found out that support for "auto preview latest file" was dropped in Bridge CS6 and never implemented in any update.

Last edited:
Well is not auto preview, you just set the destination folder in the Sony Remote Camera Control and you have Bridge open alongside and as soon as the image uploads you have it there, at just a 1 click away.

I am sad to report live view is not possible with a7r using capture one pro 8. I set my camera to pc remote and opened live view using capture one, but got this message: the selected camera does not support live view.

I took the camera with me anyway to my last hotel photoshoot and tried to use it when time permitted. On the 3 occasions I tired it, it was a negative experience mainly because of lack of live view. It's just impossible to do a hotel photoshoot cramped in very tight spaces (ex: bathroom, small bedroom) without live view. In the one occasion I had plenty of space to stand behind the camera it was an ok experience. The camera screen was a bit small to judge shifting adjustments and the Hcam adapter was not easy to adjust. I felt whatever time I could save in having the lens shifted was lost in working around the lack of live view and other short comings of the a7r (ex: limited auto bracketing).

Looks like I will be selling this camera, because the gains in no way outweigh the loses.

iiiNelson

I am sad to report live view is not possible with a7r using capture one pro 8. I set my camera to pc remote and opened live view using capture one, but got this message: the selected camera does not support live view.

I took the camera with me anyway to my last hotel photoshoot and tried to use it when time permitted. On the 3 occasions I tired it, it was a negative experience mainly because of lack of live view. It's just impossible to do a hotel photoshoot cramped in very tight spaces (ex: bathroom, small bedroom) without live view. In the one occasion I had plenty of space to stand behind the camera it was an ok experience. The camera screen was a bit small to judge shifting adjustments and the Hcam adapter was not easy to adjust. I felt whatever time I could save in having the lens shifted was lost in working around the lack of live view and other short comings of the a7r (ex: limited auto bracketing).

Looks like I will be selling this camera, because the gains in no way outweigh the loses.
You can still use the EVF/Rear Screen to verify/confirm focus. All FE bodies from the A7s on though should have live view enabled through C1P8.

According to this topic on Capture One Pro forum live view was available with firmware 1.01 and was lost after that:

Phase One and Leaf-Mamiya Official User to User Forum ? View topic - Live-View tethering with Sony A7R
I can confirm that the a7r with firmware version 1.01 tethers with live view to capture one pro 9. I tested a camera that was for sale and it did work. I wanted to buy that camera to further test it but the owner forgot to bring camera accessories and we could not meet again to finalize the deal.