The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for the Mitakon 50 f0.95?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, you are evil! Pure evil!

As I was packing up a bunch of lenses for Jono to play with, I started getting nostalgic about how I ended up getting each and every one… You are responsible for both my first and last Leica lens (to date) -- both 50mm Summilux. The first was an old 1962 chrome one that I fell in love with at Camera West after trying out many. It is still achingly beautiful, but I hadn't realised that it had only 1M near focus. So when I finally looked to get another, I got the last version pre-asph (BP that, unfortunately, weighs a tonne) rather than the apsh all because of you! (You and that picture of dancing children at a wedding -- was it the flower girl and the ring bearer or something like that?)

So, please, create lust, guys!
Cam. Cam, Cam, Cam... Long story, sorry :D :ROTFL:

You will find it no surprise the whole reason I started down the A7r path was because of that lens!!! I gave it (and the M8/M9) up because I could no longer focus an RF as quickly or as accurately as I desired, especially at f1.4, so when EVF with focus peaking appeared my ears and eyes perked up and curiosity peaked, and I dreamed of being able to have it again and actually focus it! I went through a raft of 50's trying to replicate it on my Nikon to no real avail -- a lot of great 50's out there, but none as sweet as the pre-Lux to my eyes. But then the Sigma ART 50 arrived on scene, and of course I bought one in Nikon mount immediately. My 50 lust was (finally) appeased -- it is truly *almost* as nice rendering wide open as the pre-lux -- and seriously close enough from f2 up for me -- not to mention it AF's fast and accurately with Nikon's AF fine tune. Lust was now moderated enough I sold my Nikon 50/1.2 manual focus because I knew with the ART's AF and look, I'd never use it again -- if I was going to manually focus a lens, it needed to have very special character. (I still have my 85mm brass lantern focus Petzval lens for that reason :D )

So now my lust for focus peaking is attenuated somewhat, but let's fast forward some more. I have what amounts basically to a "spare" Nikon D800e body that was used for one workshop, had under 1000 clicks on it, and was not getting used since I got my D810. A member tags me offline asking my honest opinion of the D810. I tell him and another very long story cut short, he indicates he has an A7r that isn't cutting it for his style of landscape work, and wishes he never sold his D800e, so we come to an arrangement -- :ROTFL: -- and he ends up with a like new D800e and I end up with a gently used A7r. I immediately bought two Metabones adapters, Nikon of course, and Canon EF so I can use Guy's 24 TSE :D

Now having the EVF with focus peaking, I start rethinking what lenses I can mount on it for their "look." Of course the pre-Lux comes to mind immediately, but as immediately the thought of actually being able to focus a Noctilux accurately wide open becomes compelling -- I did own multiple copies of the Noct (and even a few Canon 50/0.95's) when I had Leica M's and loved the look wide open, but could never focus them accurately enough to justify them; like I was lucky to hit on 1 out of 10. So the pre-Lux being better at f1.4 anyway and half the weight and cost of the Noct became my main squeeze. But now we've all seen Noct images in the A7r thread, so speed and paper-thin DoF come to the forefront of my thinking again.

I start doing some searching and learn of the Mitakon. Look at all the online reviews with images and am actually impressed. I find out Don has one, and ask him about it -- he's only had it a short while but is really impressed, especially for the price. And while on the subject of price, for the cost of a good used pre-Lux I will just mention you can buy the Mitakon 50, a Nikon 28/1.4 ASPH and a Nikon 105/2 DC or a Zeiss 18 or 21, and still have money left over for a used A7r body!
~~~

So without making this post so long nobody reads it, here is an image. I apologize as I have posted it in the fun with Sony A7 thread, but it got buried pretty quick. Nor is it as interesting a subject as the child ring-bearer and flower girl dancing (though those were at f4 IIRC -- see: http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=55&c=27), but it is a pretty decent exemplar image for this lens wide open I think. I focused on Mrs. Clause's glasses, right at the hinge on the frame and to my surprise I pretty much nailed it, though clearly I should have focused on her eyelashes! (But yeah for focus!) I think this image shows off the lens' strengths -- sharpness, fall-off (though I added another 2/3 stop vignette in C1), check out the oof speculars in the mirror behind them, overall Bokeh -- love the term "Bokelicious" Tim! -- and the overall balanced rendering. Pretty amazing for under $800...

Mitakon Zhongyi 50mm f0.95 lens, handheld, ISO 200, 1/60th at f0.95; focus point on glasses frame is roughly 3 feet distant:

Now the image looks pretty good at web size, but what about at actual pixels? Not too dang bad for an inexpensive (relatively) hyper fast lens, at least IMHO... Actual pixel crop as it came out of C1:

Note that I've only had it and the A7r for about a week and am still learning the C1 parameters for it. That said, I had dialed back the C1 sharpening preset based on my eyes, and it is still slightly over-sharp so I will need to cut it back a bit more, but all that said, I think the image and the crop speak well to this lens' performance.

PPS Note: There are TWO versions of this lens, so be careful about what you buy online, and/or other online images and reviews you might see. The newer lens has had some significant improvements and corrections for flare, resolution and CA. You can tell them apart by the filter size -- new = 67mm, old = 58mm.

cam

Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack!

I love your stories! More, more, more!!!

And I trust your gut for glass above most others. I mean, the ones you really really love. (I made my brother, just dipping his toes into FF shooting w/a D750, get the Sigma ART because of you.) So when you brought this thread up, I knew I may be going down a slippery slope, damn you!

and merci :D

Now go find a human for me, would you? (no offence to Mrs Claus)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, you might as well buy one now while they can be had in stock at reasonable prices. My guess is once the word gets out and more images get posted, they're going to become difficult to find in stock...

Two more things FWIW: First is the aperture ring has no indents, stepless like a cine lens. Second is it does get a lot sharper stopped down even to f1.4 -- though I'll prolly be taping that stepless aperture ring at 0.95 :D

Don Libby

Guy, that's one of the reasons I included the link for the lens. When I brought mine off E-Bay it included a "Make Offer" which I did. I ended up dickering back and forth with Popflash but in the end I got the lens at what believe is a great deal. The more press this lens gets the sooner the price goes up and no more deals to be had.

Let me know if you'd like to meet in Florance and I'll bring the lens so you can try it out sooner than Moab in Feb.

don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm going to be about 50 miles from Popflash this week. You know how dangerous that is especially since I just bought a new Lincoln MKC. I'm in downtown LA and they are in Thousand Oaks I believe. Yea I know Tony well. Lol

I needed a grandson transport. Actually it's my wife she insisted I get rid of my VW GTI and get a real vehicle. I was also forced to buy black. I keep trying to get away from looking like a mafia hit man. This does not help. Lol

Don Libby

I'm going to be about 50 miles from Popflash this week. You know how dangerous that is especially since I just bought a new Lincoln MKC. I'm in downtown LA and they are in Thousand Oaks I believe. Yea I know Tony well. Lol
Buy it but have him ship it as it'll save on the taxes....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tony (popflash) is where I got mine too -- Have him give you the lens and ship the box :ROTFL:!

danlindberg

How do you think the Mitakon compares @f2 Vs. Loxia @f2 ?

And if I was to use either for landscape, which one would outperform the other at each lens optimum f stop ?

mjm6

Has anyone compared this lens to a Nocti or the Canon FD 50mm L?

I have a 50mm L here which is great, but it doesn't have an electronic mount so the A7R doesn't know what lens is mounted. Does the Mitakon? That would be a nice asset. [[[I see it doesn't have any electronic contacts... that's too bad, as that would be helpful for IS, once the cameras have it, which the a7II now has]]].

The slightly shallower DOF would be nice too.

It has a very slight bit of swirl to the bokeh that is reminiscent of some LF portrait lenses, and that can be used effectively with selective focus conditions.

The lack of aperture detents is a problem, as I prefer to be able to make changes by feel rather than having to look.

---Michael

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've not shot a Loxia, and do not have ready access to a Canon 50/1.2L, so cannot comment. I will however shoot the Mitakon later this week at f5.6 and 8 and post the results. I can tell you that it sharpens up considerably at f1.4, so my guess is it will be pretty good at f5.6 and 8. I will try and compare my ART with it at the same time...

serhan

Hi to all!

I am a long time reader of the forums and I signed up finally. Popflash is also selling the Mitakon as demo and I got one looks like brand new though the rings are stiffer then the m/cv/zeiss lenses.

FM forums has a post going on, but it is not active for a month or so after a couple fm'ers returned theirs for build quality issues:
50mm F 0.95 Mitakon Sony E-Mount - FM Forums

From FM posts, there is one link comparing it to Canon EF 50L and you can check the post:
Speedmaster vs 50L -- Photography-on-the.net forums

Here is my cat test shots with the A7R. It is hard to mf even with a small head turn (she didn't want to get photographed):

Don Libby

Mike, no problems or concern with the build quality of mine. I did post an short article on this lesson our blog shortly after getting it. Truth to told its been sitting in the bag having taken it out once at the So Rim last week. I plan on returning to it in a couple days and will post more samples then. I already said it but worth repeating, I like the lens and have no problems with it.

don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mike I have not read that thread in a bit but they did revise this lens since it was brought to market and I think they are talking about the first version. Now they have a Pro version which is the one Don linked too.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack or Don, any sign of any parts loosening, as described in that FM thread? It's a bit disconcerting.
I have not owned mine long enough to comment, but build quality seems superb. Perhaps these revised Pro ii models that Don and I own addressed some earlier issues?