The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for the Mitakon 50 f0.95?

k-hawinkler

Sony A7R + MITAKON SPEEDMASTER II "DARK KNIGHT" 50MM F/0.95 PRO VER(M67) SONY E MOUNT, shot at f/0.95, ISO=100, 1/125 s

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
K-H -- I must admit the DoF profile on your particular copy looks somewhat odd. OOF areas appear slightly "streaky" for lack of a better word, and the DoF "plane" itself seems, well, non-planar if looking at the entire image -- ? Slightly weird result to my eyes, maybe I'm misreading the way the image was taken -- maybe it's a combination of the subject and shooting angle? But at least the the clear ornament on center appears sharp ;) ...

k-hawinkler

K-H -- I must admit the DoF profile on your particular copy looks somewhat odd. OOF areas appear slightly "streaky" for lack of a better word, and the DoF "plane" itself seems, well, non-planar if looking at the entire image -- ? Slightly weird result to my eyes, maybe I'm misreading the way the image was taken -- maybe it's a combination of the subject and shooting angle? But at least the the clear ornament on center appears sharp ;) ...

Many thanks Jack. I appreciate the feedback. You may have a point.
However, I think I need to look carefully into those issues before coming to a definitive conclusion.
The shot I showed was taken from the side into a Christmas tree.
So the branches are certainly not aligned with a DoF "plane".
Also the streaks you see in the upper right quarter originate from full book shelves.
I certainly think the lens can be focused quite well, even wide open.
I also processed the image a little bit unconventionally.

The following is the OOC JPG, only reduced in size.

Again, I really appreciate candid and critical feedback - as along as it is factual and constructive.
The feedback doesn't have to be overly polite.
As a retired but successful manager I am nevertheless used to criticism from all sides. :eek:
At this early stage I have no emotional attachment to this lens. :D So I don't take criticism personally.

If you don't mind I will post more images so that we can come to an accurate assessment of this lens.
Thanks again.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Nocti can be absolutely beautiful but it does have its ugly side. When background is fairly close and has a lot of patterns in it . You get this nervous look. Living in the southwest with cactus it really is nasty sometimes. But in the other hand when background is more shapes than patterns it's awesome. I shot the Nocti quite a lot when I was in Germany several years ago and I have a couple killer shots with it than some that have this effect. Now I'm not sure about the newer Nocti lens but the older version was a interesting lens. This does remind me of it to some degree.

serhan

Quick comparison of different 50mm lenses, all wide open aperture priority direct jpg shots (I needed to change the battery so shots are approx, but gives you an idea of not busy background blur):

Mitakon 50mm 0.95

CV 50mm 1.1

ZM 50mm 1.5 (dialed +1/3ev by error)

Sony 55mm 1.8 (auto metered as the darkest shot)

Contax g 45mm f2 w/ af adapter

V

Vivek

The last one looks the best. Lucky that you have many to play with! :)

Amin

This lens seems an incredible value notwithstanding some reports of it falling apart. It does seem to have that 50/1.0 Noctilux magic. I just ordered one.

cam

This lens seems an incredible value notwithstanding some reports of it falling apart. It does seem to have that 50/1.0 Noctilux magic. I just ordered one.
It is and it does.

It's also an excellent value for those, like me, who have and love the old f/1 Noctilux (spent a night into morning shooting exclusively with it) but would prefer not to travel with it…

So the more people who buy this, the better for me -- I'm hoping it's not somebody's cup of tea so I can get one used :D (I lost out on an excellent used copy on ebay because it coincided with my New Years and I forgot to bid, sigh.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Many thanks Jack. I appreciate the feedback. You may have a point.
However, I think I need to look carefully into those issues before coming to a definitive conclusion.
The shot I showed was taken from the side into a Christmas tree.
So the branches are certainly not aligned with a DoF "plane".
Also the streaks you see in the upper right quarter originate from full book shelves.
I certainly think the lens can be focused quite well, even wide open.
I also processed the image a little bit unconventionally.

The following is the OOC JPG, only reduced in size.
SNIP
Again, I really appreciate candid and critical feedback - as along as it is factual and constructive.
The feedback doesn't have to be overly polite.
As a retired but successful manager I am nevertheless used to criticism from all sides. :eek:
At this early stage I have no emotional attachment to this lens. :D So I don't take criticism personally.

If you don't mind I will post more images so that we can come to an accurate assessment of this lens.
Thanks again.
Very interesting, again to my eye the OOC jpeg has a distinctly different feel than the originally posted image -- weird that post processing of color, clarity, noise, curves and whatever can make that much difference. Thanks for sharing these and I look forward to more!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Quick comparison of different 50mm lenses, all wide open aperture priority direct jpg shots (I needed to change the battery so shots are approx, but gives you an idea of not busy background blur):

The CV looks pretty good too -- thanks for sharing.

k-hawinkler

Certainly shows how well it sharpens up stopped down! Indeed a relative bargain in today's photo environment.
Thanks again Jack.

The first image of the book shelf was shot at f/0.95 and ISO 1000.
To me it looks like showing some veiling haze - not too distracting though.

The second image was shot at f/5.6 and ISO 6400.
As you state it sharpened up nicely.

Although I shot these 2 images from a tripod I kept ISO on Auto as it was pretty dark in the room.
I didn't use a remote trigger and processed the images with CS6 and Nik (noise reduction and sharpening).
Nevertheless I am always impressed how clean the ISO 6400 images out of the A7R typically are. :)

serhan

Yes, CV and Mitakon look similar. Mitakon looks most hazy wide open. It is same with the Sonnars esp Sony is recovering the aperture difference at 55mm. M lenses are smaller then the Sony versions, but they have longer mfd.

The CV looks pretty good too -- thanks for sharing.
The CV does look nice also. I agree.
Contax g 45mm is maybe the most used lens on A7R due to its size. Sony 55mm and g45 have the best sharpness of these. Adapter af speed is close to RX1. Only disadvantage is buzzing noise of the adapter since it needs to go back and forth to capture the focus.

The last one looks the best. Lucky that you have many to play with! :)

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The "haziness" is likely a function of spherical aberrations in the lens causing flare into the shadows at the wide apertures; aka glow. Sphericals are common in fast Mandler design lenses too and are also responsible in large part for what we (I ?) see as pleasing Bokeh.

cam

The "haziness" is likely a function of spherical aberrations in the lens causing flare into the shadows at the wide apertures; aka glow. Sphericals are common in fast Mandler design lenses too and are also responsible in large part for what we (I ?) see as pleasing Bokeh.
We (unless I don't count)!

scho

Thanks for the great review Jack. My "Speedmaster" arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased with the performance of this lens on both my A7II and A6000-FS. No IR hot spots with the 590 filter on the A6000-FS.

A7II f/1.4

A6000-FS no filter, f/1.4

A6000-FS 590nm filter, f/1.4

:(

Mine arrived today. But sadly, something is loose inside. The lens wiggles/knocks slightly when reversing focusing direction. For $800 it shouldn't do that. So back it goes for an exchange. Dang!

Mitakon on a7S @ƒ0.95

Last edited: