The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for the Mitakon 50 f0.95?

k-hawinkler

We recently mourned William Palank, a San Francisco photographer and orthodontist who died unexpectedly.
William Palank - Leica User Forum, Leica User Forum
In the last few years William traveled to Ethiopia at least twice with his Leica M9 and 50mm Summilux ASPH.
Each time he brought back stunning images, for example this portrait Hamar Girl - Leica User Forum.
William printed a copy for me and had it framed by his favorite San Francisco framing shop.

The following is a shot of that framed print in my study as the afternoon sun illuminates it from the side and brings it alive.

I shot the image with an A7R and the Mitakon 50/0.95 lens.

Here is a crop.

Under normal lighting one cannot see the dust on William Palank's print.
I should clean the dust off the cover glass but it gives the image temporarily a nice touch, me thinks.

V

Vivek

K-H, The lateral illumination accentuates the details (dust). Should not be a big problem under diffused light.

k-hawinkler

K-H, The lateral illumination accentuates the details (dust). Should not be a big problem under diffused light.
Thanks Vivek. That's right. Dust is great in scattering light, making it anisotropic.
For the image I took there was pretty much a right angle between the sunlight direction and the direction of the camera's line of sight.
But I liked the effect.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
We recently mourned William Palank, a San Francisco photographer and orthodontist who died unexpectedly.
William Palank - Leica User Forum, Leica User Forum
In the last few years William traveled to Ethiopia at least twice with his Leica M9 and 50mm Summilux ASPH.
Each time he brought back stunning images, for example this portrait Hamar Girl - Leica User Forum.
William printed a copy for me and had it framed by his favorite San Francisco framing shop.

The following is a shot of that framed print in my study as the afternoon sun illuminates it from the side and brings it alive.

I shot the image with an A7R and the Mitakon 50/0.95 lens.

Here is a crop.

Under normal lighting one cannot see the dust on William Palank's print.
I should clean the dust off the cover glass but it gives the image temporarily a nice touch, me thinks.
k-hawinkler,
I hadn't heard about the passing of William Palank. I have enjoyed his photography for many years on the forums. It is lovely that you have his beautiful art to remember him by.

dandrewk

Can anyone who owns this lens and the FE55 please compare the bokeh? The FE55 is first rate, so I'm hoping the Mitakon is its equal or better.

k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler,
I hadn't heard about the passing of William Palank. I have enjoyed his photography for many years on the forums. It is lovely that you have his beautiful art to remember him by.
Many thanks Cindy.

Indeed his work of art is a powerful reminder.
I feel extremely lucky having such an excellent print from William Palank.
In my interactions with him William was always enthusiastic, gentlemanly, and extremely helpful.
He was eager to share his great experience and knowledge.
He was my friend and I miss him.

Take care, Karl-Heinz.

Barry Haines

Can anyone who owns this lens and the FE55 please compare the bokeh? The FE55 is first rate, so I'm hoping the Mitakon is its equal or better.
David...I found this review Sony FE 55mm F1.8 vs. Mitakon 50mm F0.95 (Note: Mk1 not the Mk2 Dark Knight)
It should give you some idea even though the pics are fairly smallish.
The Mitakon looks great from F0.95 to f1.4 but then the Sony FE kicks it's butt IMHO :D ...Cheers Barry

Mitakon 50mm 0.95 VS Zeiss 55mm 1.8 – on a Sony A7 | Yannick Ciancanelli

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Not sure it's the cheapest, but I remember somebody recommending here: Mitakon 50mm F/0.95 PRO for Sony-E Full-Frame (A7, NEX) | Mitakon Lenses (Europe) | Lenses | Samyang, Lenses, Prime, Lens, Store, Shop, Europe

There's also a shop in the Netherlands that stocks it, but I can't seem to find it right now… I'll keep looking for you.
Could that be Kamera Express ? They seem to have that lens on stock, but considerably more expensive than the store you mention above !

C U
Rafael

V

Vivek

One branch of kameraexpress is 5 min walk from our house. Not worth the bother.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Waiting on cash. Lol

I have a wedding to put on this month. So I hired two wedding shooters so I get a hall pass from doing my daughters wedding but I'm taking this lens to do a couple shots. Plus I want to shoot my grandson with it and I have a personal project in mind, so I'll have it in Moab for the workshop starting Monday.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mine just showed up. Very nice packaging and the build is very very nice. Took 3 shots and I think this is unique enough and separates itself from my 85 1.4. I tell you folks what I told Jack. The ZA 50 and ZA 85 are very close in focal length and more important very much the same look lenses, although the 50mm is far better wide open than the 85. So having two lenses very close in look and focal was making no sense, this Mit gives me a completely different look. Im on the road for about 10 days. So Ill keep you posted have to run to El Centro for a funeral than home and than on to Utah.