The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is anyone making chips and/or chipped adapters for the FE mount?

mjm6

I'm thinking about the fact that there are people who make chips for the Sony A mount that work well, and those chipped lenses work on the FE mount with the Sony adapter properly as far as I can tell...

That should mean that it is possible to make a chip for the FE mount to go directly on the lens adapter for other lenses, like Nikon/Canon/Leica/Contax, etc. to FE mount adapters.

Anyone know if the chips are available, and are adapters available to mount the chips to? Doesn't look like Leitax adapters have a spot for the chips, and they are limited in the lenses they adapt anyway.

---Michael

mjm6

OK, thanks. That seems like an opportunity for those guys who already make the chips, but there may be a reason that it hasn't happened yet.

All of my Leica R lenses are chipped and in Leitax mounts, so they report to the a7R correctly, and it would be nice to be able to get that in other lenses as well, especially if ISS will be built into the next round of cameras.

Plus, it helps sort images and develop profiles for the images for application during import, etc.

---Michael

scho

OK, thanks. That seems like an opportunity for those guys who already make the chips, but there may be a reason that it hasn't happened yet.

All of my Leica R lenses are chipped and in Leitax mounts, so they report to the a7R correctly, and it would be nice to be able to get that in other lenses as well, especially if ISS will be built into the next round of cameras.

Plus, it helps sort images and develop profiles for the images for application during import, etc.

---Michael
I have adapters for Leica R, Canon FD, Contax C/Y, and Konica AR to LM which I couple to the Phigment LM to Sony E adapter. This lets me get data for exposure and lens focal length written to exif in the raw files.

mjm6

Scho,

So you go double adapter then? I wonder how that will work with lens alignment, etc.

Probably no worse than a single adapter I suppose... but could be, if they both err on the same side in the same direction.

---Michael

scho

Scho,

So you go double adapter then? I wonder how that will work with lens alignment, etc.

Probably no worse than a single adapter I suppose... but could be, if they both err on the same side in the same direction.

---Michael
No mis-alignment seen yet, but as you noted the potential is there for problems.

phigment

Quick question... what are the expectations of such a chip?

It seems to me the use case would be mounting a single prime lens to the camera. The chip would not have the ability to gauge changes in aperture or focal length.

As such, it would need to be a fairly static parameter set indicating FL, max aperture and possibly vignetting and distortion profiles.

Am I missing anything?

V

Vivek

Focus distance. Fix it at random, say 10m or so. This would help activate the 4th and 5th axis stabilization modes in an A7II (and hopefully other future cams with stabilization). With this, there is some added value to a "chip".

Of course, the rear clearance of any adapter has to have the maximum diameter possible, like a 39mm Leica adapter, to minimize any vignetting

phigment

Focus distance. Fix it at random, say 10m or so. This would help activate the 4th and 5th axis stabilization modes in an A7II (and hopefully other future cams with stabilization). With this, there is some added value to a "chip".

Of course, the rear clearance of any adapter has to have the maximum diameter possible, like a 39mm Leica adapter, to minimize any vignetting
Good points... especially the clearance. :)

The difficult part about a chip like this is to make it mountable on third party adapters. It seems like epoxy is the way they went with the 'dandelion' chips. Unless the adapter and chip are designed together, I'm a little short on other ideas on how to make the chip universal.