The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Metz 52 AF-1 flash for Sony Multi-Interface mount - a bargain

I bought the little Sony HVLF20M flash a while back, but I find it just doesn't have enough punch. Looking for a replacement, I was about to order the Nissin i40 when the B&H site suggested the Metz 52 AF-1 model. I was surprised to see it is now available with a dedicated Sony foot. I've used Metz products since the 70s and always found them to be excellent, so I ordered it without hesitation.

I especially like that it covers the 16mm end of the 16-35mm zoom with ease (using the flip-down WA lens).

I was happy. I got even happier when B&H emailed (after I'd already ordered) to tell me there's a $60 rebate, which makes the net price about $190; only a little more than the wimpy Sony. So, if you're looking for a 'real' flash for an a7, here's the info.

biglouis

Does this work in TTL mode and emulate all the facilities of the Sony flashes?

Just come from your response in my thread and I'd like to know more about this gun.

Thanks

LouisB

kdphotography

Ok, you're an official enabler, Mike.:)

Rebate offer has been extended another month per the Metz pdf---to Jan 31 2015.

ken

mjm6

I'm looking for a flash for the a7r...

Looks like this one has gone up in price, now $299 and I think the rebate is gone.

But there appears to be a new one on the B&H site that is a little lower power, but maybe just as capable:

Metz mecablitz 44 AF-1 digital Flash for Sony MZ 44316SNEW B&H

Looks like a slightly less powerful version... Anyone know of any reasons this won't work well on the a7r?

Also, if I wanted to do wireless TTL, can anyone point me to a wireless transmitter to work with the camera and the flash?

---Michael

Looks like a slightly less powerful version... Anyone know of any reasons this won't work well on the a7r?
I'm sure it will work fine. Besides the slightly lower output, the only noticeable difference is no touch-screen on the smaller one. No loss IMHO.

mjm6

Thanks Mike... I figured it should be ok.

Actually, I am looking at the Nissin i40 because it has a wider range of manual settings, which will come in handy for my needs.

---Michael

iiiNelson

Thanks Mike... I figured it should be ok.

Actually, I am looking at the Nissin i40 because it has a wider range of manual settings, which will come in handy for my needs.

---Michael
I have the Nissin i40 and its a great compact on camera flash. The manual controls are simple to use and the TTL works. When I need more power I pull out the Einstein.

mjm6

Do you use the TTL wirelessly at all? Wondering what devices are needed to get this working well.

Thanks,

---Michael

iiiNelson

Do you use the TTL wirelessly at all? Wondering what devices are needed to get this working well.

Thanks,

---Michael
I don't use the TTL wirelessly with the i40 and honestly I think the Phottix is probably a better unit for using speedlights off camera than the i40. I use PCB Einstein strobes for off camera stuff personally.

Profoto is a better choice for strobes if you're comfortable spending much more, need the extra robustness, or if you'll wind up renting a lot of the extras like modifiers. When it comes to good quality light, decent modifiers, and quality service at an economical price the PCB's are hard to beat though IMO.