The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7II - Help Please > Digital Hash

Mark Muse

I could really use some insight into this problem. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a problem with my individual camera? Is this typical of all of these sensors (I have used an A7 and I had an A7R, but did not experience it with them). I think it is doubtful that it is some camera setting since I only shoot raw files. Please see the files:

The raw file was processed in Lightroom 5.7.1, output at the native size of 6000 x 4000 pixels. Sharpening for crop 2 and the full image was: amount 45/radius 0.5/detail 30/no masking. No noise reduction, no clarity applied. Output settings for sharpening are light for gloss paper. No sharpening at all applied to crop 1.

I am experiencing this with all lenses I use on this camera,including the Sony Zeiss 1.8/55 which is even worse. The more contrasty the lens, the worse the problem. It is scene related, appearing in high contrast details like tree branches against the sky. This problem exists regardless of which raw converter I use (Aperture, Iridient Developer, Lightroom). I had the same experience with my Canon 5D2 in similar circumstances. But I have never experienced it with my Nikon 800e or my Sigma DP Merrills.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't use LR or any of your other converters, so cannot help directly. However, if your converter has a CA removal tool, try using it. Next try increasing color NR...

V

Vivek

Jack pretty much nailed it. Apply zero contrast NR but maximum color NR (Nik pluggins work nicely)

Mark Muse

Thanks, Jack. I have done those things. CA removal is on for these images. I can reduce the color flashing/moire a little using some of the tools in Iridient Developer, but things are still ugly, and it causes other degradations. I did download C1 for Sony but can't run it. My Mac Pro is getting a little old and I can't use the newer OS version needed for C1. I really do not believe it is a processing issue though.

Mark Muse

Thanks Vivek. I have not tried the NIK pluggins. Will do that. but I am more than a little concerned about the damage that will do.

Maybe I should be asking if this behavior is typical of this camera. if it is, it is a non starter for landscapes, and I will have to move on. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Mark Muse

This was with the 45 Zeiss Planar G, probably at 5.6. Yes, it is a high contrast lens. But the problem is even worse with the Sony Zeiss 1.8/55. Heck, it even shows up with softer lenses like the 90 Zeiss Sonnar G. I can reduce the intensity of the problem by stopping down to ƒ16-22, but who want to do that to their images?

Shot looks pretty good to me, considering the very challenging subject matter.

I think it's (primarily) moire, along with CA, that you're seeing. The high Vibrance and highlight reduction settings you've chosen are emphasizing it. Try those at 0 and dial in a little Clarity.

Mark Muse

I can clean it up pretty well with minimal artifacts by setting defringe to the full color spectrum on both color bands and giving each a 5 setting. That and a little color noise reduction. Any more than that and serious artifacts start to show (thanks for the suggestion Viramati).

Yes, it is a challenging subject. But IMHO this camera should be able to handle it. The problem is evident in the raw file with no adjustments at all. While hardly a landscape camera (and neither is this A7m2), even my little a6000 doesn't show any sign of this. This lens is not producing any CA that I have detected. And this is hardly the only frame or lens that shows the problem on this body. So while I didn't purchase this as a landscape camera (it is my "have it with me" camera), I want to be able to use it for that when opportunity presents.

So I guess I am back to Is anyone else having this problem with this camera? I am not so concerned about bailing out this or any other particular image. But if the camera is not functioning properly, or if this is a characteristic of the A7m2 bodies in general I want to know so I can take appropriate steps.

Viramati

adjustment brush set to defringe 100% removes it completely.
I have checked over some of my similar sort of shots and yes I suppose I can see it but it is hardly noticeable and seem to be fairly easy to correct

Last edited:

Mark Muse

As David pointed out, the defringe brush does clean it up. However this leaches the color out pretty dramatically. But as Carl pointed out the moire brush (duh!) cleans it right up even at fairly low settings, and with minimal color loss. Thanks Fellows!

Viramati

I agree the defringe brush does leach the colours but I tried the moire setting on another file and it had other strange effect. It would seem he issue can be solved but each scenario will need a slightly different approach.
I don't seem to see the issue form some of the files I have looked at from when I had the A7 and I haven't checked my A7s images

Annna T

I can clean it up pretty well with minimal artifacts by setting defringe to the full color spectrum on both color bands and giving each a 5 setting. That and a little color noise reduction. Any more than that and serious artifacts start to show (thanks for the suggestion Viramati).

Yes, it is a challenging subject. But IMHO this camera should be able to handle it. The problem is evident in the raw file with no adjustments at all. While hardly a landscape camera (and neither is this A7m2), even my little a6000 doesn't show any sign of this. This lens is not producing any CA that I have detected. And this is hardly the only frame or lens that shows the problem on this body. So while I didn't purchase this as a landscape camera (it is my "have it with me" camera), I want to be able to use it for that when opportunity presents.

So I guess I am back to Is anyone else having this problem with this camera? I am not so concerned about bailing out this or any other particular image. But if the camera is not functioning properly, or if this is a characteristic of the A7m2 bodies in general I want to know so I can take appropriate steps.
I wonder whether this isn't the result of two things combined : the fringing in backlight situations and the fact that Sony raws are compressed : this is a review of the A7 and A7r, but Sony is still using the same raws compression as far as I know : Sansmirror review explains it (Scroll down to the part concerning image quality)

Mark Muse

Annna, (is that a typo?) I think you are right about the compression being a contributing factor. I have been using an 800e since they were introduced, using the completely uncompressed 14 bit raw to card, and have never experienced this problem with it. Prior to that I had a 5DII, which I believe did not have an uncompressed 14 bit raw file, and I did have that problem with it. It is a color moire, and the moire cx in Lr does clean it up nicely without creating serious artifacts that I have seen so far. Not sure what role fringing might play in this. There is no evidence of fringing with the Zeiss G 45, or with the Sony-Zeiss 55, but they both are associated with this problem on this body. Less sharp lenses produce it to a lesser extent.