The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A9: coming soon to you ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Kodachrome, product life: 74 years

Nikon F, product life: 14 years

Sony camera, product life: 1 year

The world is certainly changing. I wish I knew if it was for the better or for the worse :confused:

dandrewk

How would the A9 be any sort of replacement for the A7II? The A7II is a replacement of the A7.

In all likelihood, it's a step above the A7r. Beefier, higher mpx sensor, IBIS, better AF, full electronic shutter, etc. Different camera entirely, aimed at an entirely different customer base - a complete pro level camera. It will be priced accordingly, up there with the top bodies from Canon and Nikon.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
How would the A9 be any sort of replacement for the A7II? The A7II is a replacement of the A7.

In all likelihood, it's a step above the A7r. Beefier, higher mpx sensor, IBIS, better AF, full electronic shutter, etc. Different camera entirely, aimed at an entirely different customer base - a complete pro level camera. It will be priced accordingly, up there with the top bodies from Canon and Nikon.
Because many of the potential customers, the pro and enthusiast photographers, currently use A7s/r/II cameras. Time will show what it's "up there with".

dandrewk

Nevertheless, it's aimed at a more professional user. There are obvious exceptions, but most "enthusiasts" don't spring for a camera that's likely in the price range of the D4, or at least the D810. If Nikon released a D5, would Nikon users call it a too-soon replacement of the D750?

The purported A9 is not an A7 next-gen upgrade. We already have that. This is a product line placed above the A7 series.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The purported A9 is not an A7 next-gen upgrade. We already have that. This is a product line placed above the A7 series.
That is correct, but it doesn't change the fact that many A7++ users will sell their cameras to upgrade to the A9++, making the prices of second hand A7 cameras sink even further, and that includes the recently released A7 II. For me, this is great news, since I mostly buy obsolete cameras at bargain prices.

I'm sooo looking forward to buying the yet not announced A7s II second hand for somewhere under $1,000. With the speed Sony is working, that won't take long. The "old" A7 is already selling for such prices, which is what one have to pay for any average plastic DSLR with a crop sensor new. My ten year old F6 is probably more worth these days than a less than a one year old A7. Who would have thunk :ROTFL:

dandrewk

I agree with that, but it's a sign of the times. It's been this way since "Moore's Law" guaranteed the computer you bought would be obsolete in a year or two. Cell phones are upgraded every year, many times with improvements being barely perceptible. For those with patience and lacking the need for "new", there is money to be saved.

I used to beat myself for NOT being in that latter group. But now I embrace it. This makes my pockets ripe to be picked by Sony, Apple etc. So I just <shrug> and enjoy, and continue to rely on my wife's infinite patience. I'll freely admit to being a bit of a chump, but a happy one! :D

Quentin_Bargate

I wonder if we will ever reach the point where by the time a new camera is actually available to buy in the shops, its replacement has already been announced?! Whatever, while I too am a sucker for the latest and greatest, I do miss the era when new cameras where released some years apart, not apparently on a near annual basis.

Then again, it's the lenses that make the image, and I have just purchased a 1999 vintage Leica summilux 75mm f/1.4 to use on my A7r / A9 / A10 / A11 (etc.). Its back to the the future. I want some magic. It's all become too sterile.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bring it on. If it's not what you want or need than wait for the next one . To me this is not about saving assets it's about functions and features that I need . The A7r is a great start but it's also limited and not a long term camera. The A7II is much better at being a long term unit. It's the second generation and the A7r needs to get to gen two. This has very little to do with losing money on depreciation . Under 3 k cameras is really not a concern. 40 thousand dollar backs that drop to 23 thousand in a year now that's far more a concern. Been there done that and burned the T shirt over it. Lol

mazor

haha, I have resisted the temptation of upgrading and still enjoy using my Nex 5r with speedbooster adapter ;). I really enjoy using the articulating high resolution EVF, and it's small size.

As much as I enjoy my 5r, if the A7 ii indeed falls below $1k second hand I would be willing to upgrade

Quentin_Bargate

Bring it on. If it's not what you want or need than wait for the next one . To me this is not about saving assets it's about functions and features that I need . ...l
...and of course, we are as much to blame as the manufacturers. An A7r will be just as good in 3 or 5 years time as now, when we are all shooting 60mp or more DSLRs, but we won't be happy if we don't have the latest and greatest. Mea culpa.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Maybe this new A9 will finally have all what I want from a FF mirrorless camera.

Hopefully ;)

ecsh

Thats the beauty of it from a manufacturers standpoint, is that it will not have all you want, so you will purchase the next version with that hope.
Hope is eternal, LOL.

JoelM

The electronic shutter is the major selling point to me, but I think I will stay with the A7r until the A9 replacement comes out in the very least. Even though I cringe at the way too soon obsolescence of my A7r, I greatly appreciate the advancement of the technology.

Joel

nikonf

All too true ............... Except the camera life is more like 6 months!
Kodachrome, product life: 74 years

Nikon F, product life: 14 years

Sony camera, product life: 1 year

The world is certainly changing. I wish I knew if it was for the better or for the worse :confused:

V

Vivek

I am going to use my Nikon F2 to smash the D70 (dead "BGLOD" due to a fatal flaw that Nikon refused to acknowledge for a year while they sold >1 million of them, they replaced that model with the D70s with no change but without the flaw) and then rip it off to use the Titanium shutter curtains as lens flocking material.

I might even video tape the whole thing with one of my Sony cameras. :ROTFL:

(And make some snaps of it with expired (and long dead) Kodak Ektar 25.)

The world is certainly changing. I wish I knew if it was for the better or for the worse
I think, today, I'm going to take my old, busted, obsolete, barely useable A7R and A7S out and make some images. I'll just have to suffer with them until someone makes a good camera I can buy.

Mark Muse

I am going to use my Nikon F2 to smash the D70 (dead "BGLOD" due to a fatal flaw that Nikon refused to acknowledge for a year while they sold >1 million of them, they replaced that model with the D70s with no change but without the flaw) and then rip it off to use the Titanium shutter curtains as lens flocking material.

I might even video tape the whole thing with one of my Sony cameras. :ROTFL:

(And make some snaps of it with expired (and long dead) Kodak Ektar 25.)
Nikon did something similar with the 8000 medium format film scanner. It had a never acknowledged problem with the illumination changing color temperature in the course of a scan, resulting in a substantial color gradient across the length of a 6 x 9 scan. They came out with the 9000 a couple of years later which solved the problem, but never any acknowledgement, fix for the 8000, or credit of any kind to 8000 owners wishing to purchase a 9000.

Mark Muse

I expect Sony will be a bit more conservative with the release of pro bodies: longer development cycles, more research, a refinement of technology introduced in the A7 line instead of introducing a lot of new technology potentially requiring v2 to fix it. I expect we will see, in addition to the 46 MPx sensor, more robust build quality, dual processors for increased speeds and (hopefully!) completely uncompressed 14 bit raw to the card, ibis, a larger or multiple batteries, higher frame rates, more refined focus tracking, etc.