The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FW 1.1 for Sony A7M2

Just released, addressed issues of the IBIS. (apparently works also with Yosemite).
The image in the viewfinder is now properly stabilized also when magnification is on.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just loaded it and tested the IBIS bug. I *think* it's fixed. I turned the camera off, removed an OSS lens, put on a MF lens, turned on the camera, and IBIS worked.

More testing.... Yep, it works. No need to leave the camera on when switching lenses. :thumbs:

--Matt

Not only did they fix Matt's issue but I swear they improved the performance in the EVF. The high frequency jitter that was still mildly visible (and commented on by several reviewers) is completely gone.

The view is now smooth and stable. Very zen.

Just shot sharp at 1/13 with the 135mm on the LA-EA4.

Tip for anyone using the TechArt adapter for Contax G.

The camera will recognize the adapter as an 8mm so you need to make sure Steady Shot is set to manual and you dial in your actual FOV just as you would for any non-electronic adapted lens.

Viramati

Downloaded and installed and i can confirm IBIS now works with adapted lens after OSS lens
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=ILCE7M2&upd_id=10203&os_group_id=3
text to changes
What Does This Do?
This utility updates the system firmware to version (1.10) to enhance the image stabilization system for the following:
Image stabilization in half-pressing the shutter
Image stabilization in "Focus Magnifier"
Image stabilization in movie recording
Image stabilization in other functions

I'm pretty confident this is more than a bug fix for the OSS issue. I think IBIS went out the door with some issues. There was definitely a high frequency jiggle effect apparent that I am no longer seeing.

Just shot a video at 90mm with a Contax G lens (only 3-axis) and it was incredibly smooth.

dandrewk

Update went smoothly. Note - you need a fully charged battery. Whole process was about 20 minutes.

Big, big difference with focus magnification. I did a before/after with a Nikon 105mm Macro in both magnifications. Night and day. Now it's totally rock solid. No more getting seasick, and it really shows off the value of IBIS!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay Im sick in the head just updated it and finished 10 minutes before a runway start. I just shot about 300 images turned it over to assistant to shoot for awhile and it seems much better in the finder. Im shooting the ZA 70-200 2.8 in crop mode so basically a 300mm and it does seem smooth. Im hoping the two blackouts I had last night disappear too and I think it will as it was related to this issue I believe. Okay last night I shot continuously for about 2800 images and the vertical grip is still a great improvement for my arthritis in my hands but still I shot way too much and it came into play. brutal shooting , like a freaking machine gun the models where coming so fast at me. Images look good and also Raw knocked down to jpeg for upload is a MAJOR improvement over in camera jpeg and really faster to output over running a action in PS. So jpegs in camera will NEVER happen again in my cam. Period

C1 is lightning fast doing jpeg output

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Guy,

How is the ZA 70-200/2.8 on the A7II? Were you shooting continuous AF? Is that combination's responsiveness at all in the same league as that lens on an A-mount DSLR? Or the equivalent lens on a D800/810/5DIII?

Take care of those hands!

--Matt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
To me its pretty dang fast. I guess if I was shooting high end sports this maybe not the best combo but its dang fast for sure.

barjohn

Startup time is noticeably faster and the noises it used to make on startup and shutdown are more subdued.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Good upgrade!

I'm really enjoying this camera. Compared with the a7r it has much less shutter shock (I can use the FE 70-200 at 1/80th sec.whereas 1/200th sec. is needed for the a7r) and being able to use the superb FE 55 1.8 with SSS is a huge advantage.

Bill

Users are also reporting much faster buffer dump to SD Cards.

Jorgen, are you listening? :p

hmmm, I'm not seeing any improvements there. I still get about 5 seconds of straight shooting in high speed RAW and about 15 seconds to completely clear the buffer. Certainly you can shoot bursts much earlier than 15 seconds but that is when the drive stops reading.

Might also be my cards. Class 10 90mb/sec read 45mb/sec write