The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FW 1.1 for Sony A7M2

Viramati

Congratulations David! (for those not aware, David defined and described this bug really clearly)
Thank you Jono. It would also appear that they have improved the whole system. Quick work from Sony and seems to go somewhat against the grain of what people have said about Sony's speed with dealing with issues

Mark Muse

hmmm, I'm not seeing any improvements there. I still get about 5 seconds of straight shooting in high speed RAW and about 15 seconds to completely clear the buffer. Certainly you can shoot bursts much earlier than 15 seconds but that is when the drive stops reading.

Might also be my cards. Class 10 90mb/sec read 45mb/sec write
It is likely your cards. Get some of the new Sony 95/90 cards designed for video.

Godfrey

Thank you Jono. It would also appear that they have improved the whole system. Quick work from Sony and seems to go somewhat against the grain of what people have said about Sony's speed with dealing with issues
Without wanting to sound like disparagement, it is quite possible that Sony knew all about these issues when they released the A7II and have been working on them for some time. Major bug fixes like this are rarely a two week effort from incept to delivery. Getting the A7II into the market in time for the holiday purchase season might well have been a priority that overrode releasing it with some of these kinds of ordinarily show-stopper bugs, knowing that they were going to fix it quickly after the fact.

The good news is that they have succeeded in improving the operations of the A7II camera, and done it quickly given the short time between release and update. That's a good job.

G

Without wanting to sound like disparagement, it is quite possible that Sony knew all about these issues when they released the A7II and have been working on them for some time. Major bug fixes like this are rarely a two week effort from incept to delivery. Getting the A7II into the market in time for the holiday purchase season might well have been a priority that overrode releasing it with some of these kinds of ordinarily show-stopper bugs, knowing that they were going to fix it quickly after the fact.
G
A lot of things are quite possible.

darrellc

Manufacturers across all kinds of consumer electronic devices have firmware releases at or shortly after general availability. They all release final production firmware a while before retail availability to allow for manufacturing sufficient volume to support the launch, so engineering teams have more time than we think to do 1.1 updates.

jonoslack

The good news is that they have succeeded in improving the operations of the A7II camera, and done it quickly given the short time between release and update. That's a good job.

G
Hi Godfrey
Whilst I agree with you that the enhancements were probably in train before the camera was release, I'd think that David's bug was less likely - it's a bit obscure, and difficult to clarify. I don't think that many testers would have defined it quite as clearly.

all the best