The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony lens mockups. No thanks.

jfirneno

Criticizing Sony is fine and I think most Sony owners have some criticism of their products/service. That being said there has been a more agressive change in Sony's strategy since the NEX-6 that's been more proactive towards positive changes based on consumer feedback.

It's just when you erroneously spout so many half truths or rarely remain constructive or fair in your criticism that some take exception to your opinions.
Hired Arm:

What you say resonates with what I think. To my mind the constant harping is way over the line. But the admins say this is just spirited discussion. So I must be the one out of line. I'm finding myself getting annoyed and sarcastic so it's time to give up on this thread.

Jorgen:

You've taught me a lesson. GetDPI can resemble DPR, but only if you let it.

Regards,
John

iiiNelson

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: there you go. There must be something wrong with you ;)

To be honest, it's one of my favourites too, but I can't afford it, not now anyway.
Yeah and prior to the A7'the M9 was my main system for 4 years as limiting as it can be. I originally bought the A7R as a backup body... That was the plan. I liked the A7R so much I ordered a A7 the same week.

As for the Df I thought about getting one for my woman for Christmas but now I'm leaning more towards an A7II.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Don't let it , it's only opinions. Some systems carry very passionate followers. For me I dont buy labels and I mostly go by what works and what does not for me as a whole. On spirited discussions all for them but this will never be DP review as long as my fingers on are on the control switch. I have little tolerance for insults

... and that is obviously one of the great things with mirrorless systems, the different A7 models included. This is also why I don't understand why Sony haven't given higher priority to a complete range of compact prime lenses, from around 20 to around 85 or 100mm. This was one of the main reasons for the fantastic success of the OM cameras and it's one of the reasons for the success of Leica M. Adapted lenses are fine, but they have to be bought too, and they mostly don't feature AF. Sony certainly don't make any profit from those adapted lenses either. I would think that profit is as important for Sony as for any other commercial enterprise.

And don't say it's because it's a young system. Professional manufacturers plan these things. Look at m4/3, look at Fuji. They both follow a clear, easy to understand plan for their lens road maps. If Sony don't understand the important success factors in this market, it's worrying. It's worrying because it will have impact on the system as a whole. I would have been an A7 user and a Sony customer if I knew I could trust them with these things. I don't, so I'm not. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Their lens lineup works for me (helps that I was an A-mount shooter and have rangefinder glass) and I trust them based on everything they have done since the release of the A7.

The NEX line was for consumers, while Fuji and Olympus differentiated by targeting traditional photographers and enthusiasts - and did a fantastic job (I've used them all).

With FE, Sony is going upmarket and their lens lineup and roadmap reflects that. I don't think it is as laser focused as Fuji's but it is also very early - just over a year in so yes it is a young system and there is a planned, respectable roadmap. No one else is doing it with FF and if they start, they are going to have to reset their lens lineup as well.

Don't expect to or want to convince you that Sony is going to produce everything you want or need. For me, I'm about 80% there. Once I get my remaining A-mount lenses in FE mount (28/2, 35/1.4, 135/1.8 and 200/2.8), I'm done. I'll be halfway there in March. For the other two, I can wait out the native versions since I can continue to use them adapted today.

Future is bright.

iiiNelson

Hired Arm:

What you say resonates with what I think. To my mind the constant harping is way over the line. But the admins say this is just spirited discussion. So I must be the one out of line. I'm finding myself getting annoyed and sarcastic so it's time to give up on this thread.

Jorgen:

You've taught me a lesson. GetDPI can resemble DPR, but only if you let it.

Regards,
John
I hear you and in reality I think Jorgen is a really decent guy and long time contributor. Sometimes you just learn to compartmentalize opinions on some level. I'm sure others do that for me too. That's cool. I am a very opinionated person myself so I can respect him having an opinion even if I don't agree with it.

My main motive in responding is that there are those that lurk or are doing their own research and may take Jorgen's opinions as fact although he hasn't lived with any of the A7 cameras (or even handled one until recently.)

bradhusick

For me the Sony was a possible alternative to the Fuji X-T1 or the Leica M 240. With these big lenses the Sony is no longer under consideration for me.

I am not looking at the Sony as a DSLR replacement.

For me the Sony was a possible alternative to the Fuji X-T1 or the Leica M 240. With these big lenses the Sony is no longer under consideration for me.

I am not looking at the Sony as a DSLR replacement.
If size is your concern, aren't your Leica lenses the same size on either the Sony or the Leica?

The Fuji lens lineup is beyond reproach but you are shooting APS-C. Nothing lesser about that but if you want (for your own reasons) to be shooting FF, well, APS-C isn't.

And please don't think I am instigating a FF vs APS-C vs m4/3 argument. Nothing would bore me or the members of this thread more ;) If m4/3 or APS-C is acceptable or preferable for you, then those platforms are mature and fantastic.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I hear you and in reality I think Jorgen is a really decent guy and long time contributor. Sometimes you just learn to compartmentalize opinions on some level. I'm sure others do that for me too. That's cool. I am a very opinionated person myself so I can respect him having an opinion even if I don't agree with it.

My main motive in responding is that there are those that lurk or are doing their own research and may take Jorgen's opinions as fact although he hasn't lived with any of the A7 cameras (or even handled one until recently.)
Thank you for that, and let me also add that the choice between Nikon and Sony was not an easy one this time. There were other factors too involved, in both directions, that I haven't mentioned here. These are exciting times. I'm off to Vietnam in a few hours. Hopefully there will be time for a photo or two, but those will be posted on another thread :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If size is your concern, aren't your Leica lenses the same size on either the Sony or the Leica?

The Fuji lens lineup is beyond reproach but you are shooting APS-C. Nothing lesser about that but if you want (for your own reasons) to be shooting FF, well, APS-C isn't.

And please don't think I am instigating a FF vs APS-C vs m4/3 argument. Nothing would bore me or the members of this thread more ;) If m4/3 or APS-C is acceptable or preferable for you, then those platforms are mature and fantastic.
Fuji may have found the perfect compromise between image quality, size and price. When (if?) they fix the video performance, they will be very hard to beat.

Fuji may have found the perfect compromise between image quality, size and price. When (if?) they fix the video performance, they will be very hard to beat.
The market is so fragmented. I don't know that anyone is going to win or lose. And by anyone, I mean us, the shooters.

*edit

oh boy, that made no sense. Meant that we are all going to win. Hope no one loses!

bradhusick

I use a real video camera for video, so for me that's a non-issue. I do love the X-T1 and lens lineup when I need autofocus, and the M240 does everything else for me except sports.

I use a real video camera for video, so for me that's a non-issue. I do love the X-T1 and lens lineup when I need autofocus, and the M240 does everything else for me except sports.
hehe, three cameras? That's a lot to pack.

The A7mkII can tick all those boxes for you ;)

Just playing Brad. Sounds like you are in Excellent (even envious) shape!