The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony lens mockups. No thanks.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My comparison is between the D810 vs the A7R, since both are 36mpx.

D810 = 980g (batt + card)
A7R = 465g (batt + card)

A7R battery weighs about 42g

You can do the math.

As for the number of batteries, based on my actual field usage, I am getting around 250+ per charge. Therefore, with 2 batteries I am getting 500+ per day of shooting. Therefore, if I were to carry 2 X A7R, I can shoot 1000+ shots per day. The actual number of images I shoot per day is much lower. I am not one of those that shoot machine gun style.
For some purposes, the A7R is the superior camera, but comparing the smallest full frame interchangeable lens camera with one of the largest will obviously give dramatic differences as result. The only thing those two cameras have in common is the sensor and the fact that the shutter release is placed on top of the camera, so the comparison is only valid if weight and size are the main criteria.

I suppose it's only a question of months before the A7R will be replaced by an A7R II or A9, which will probably change the tables again. Hopefully, the A9 will have a larger battery.

For some purposes, the A7R is the superior camera, but comparing the smallest full frame interchangeable lens camera with one of the largest will obviously give dramatic differences as result. The only thing those two cameras have in common is the sensor and the fact that the shutter release is placed on top of the camera, so the comparison is only valid if weight and size are the main criteria.
I thought he made it clear that the comparison was due to the 36mp sensor. What other camera is he going to shoot that is smaller than the D810 and has 36mp?

V

Vivek

I suppose it's only a question of months before the A7R will be replaced by an A7R II or A9, which will probably change the tables again.
Can't wait for even more Nikon shooters abandoning ship and joining us here. ;)

You are doing a swell job, btw! :D

anGy

I wonder if the reason why Sony and some others are producing f1.4 lenses is - like for the Otus lens - also related to the fact that lenses are better at their center and that this becomes critical for today's sensors.
Larger glasses meaning larger central part meaning better performance on high resolution sensors + wide aperture option.
The benefit could be double: high speed lenses with high resolving power for the center and borders of the sensor, and give better IQ at any aperture.
In other words, an f1.4 lens would probably give better corner performance at f5.6 than an f2.8 lens with the same kind of glass and cosntruction.

Annna T

I don't know for Nikons, but for Canons I had to choose between a VF with grid lines (helping to keep the camera level and parallel to buildings) and a finder allowing better manual focusing. I needed the gridlines, so never got a nice finder for MF. I have had three Canon bodies : Canon D60, Canon 5D and Canon 6D, all the same. I know the 1D series had more choice for the finder screens, but given the weight I never considered getting one. So I'm really enjoying EVF.. even if I have to switch between different views to get all what I want.

Plus they offer a more or less liveview of how your wb and exposure will look.

Last edited:

jonoslack

In other words, an f1.4 lens would probably give better corner performance at f5.6 than an f2.8 lens with the same kind of glass and cosntruction.
Hi There
As I understand it, that doesn't follow - which is why, for instance, the Leica 50 APO summicron is f2, and not f1.4. As the largest aperture get's wider there are more corrections needed, which may compromise IQ at smaller apertures.

V

Vivek

The traffic over there would have fooled me! :p

or may be you are speaking for that silent and invisible majority? :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That's because we're out taking photos. Me? I just have to figure out where I insert the CF card with my new Nikon first:

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

The size of the Sony FE's is why I have stuck with M lenses on my A7s. I see promise in the Loxia set, but one forgoes autofocus, should that be one's bag.

Steve P.

The size of the Sony FE's is why I have stuck with M lenses on my A7s. I see promise in the Loxia set, but one forgoes autofocus, should that be one's bag.
What struck me first when I looked at the link Slingers posted was how the 28mm f2 looks fairly close to Loxia size. F2 plus AF in a walk around focal length is a pretty nice package, I'd say.
Then again, it is pictured next to the FE55 so maybe not so compact as all that?

Slingers

What struck me first when I looked at the link Slingers posted was how the 28mm f2 looks fairly close to Loxia size. F2 plus AF in a walk around focal length is a pretty nice package, I'd say.
Then again, it is pictured next to the FE55 so maybe not so compact as all that?
Here is the 55 next to the loxia 50 as well as the Otus. The new FE 28/2 does look to be roughly the same size https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/berlinbackstage/14968701879/