The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New issue A7II 'camera error'

V

Vivek

Further testing seems to confirm failure of the IBIS system through OSS lenses will still work. Will think twice about being an early adopter next time!!!
Sorry, Vivek. I was just going by the O.P's description. I'm happy to take his word for it.

Can't have that from a "bricked" camera! Some of you Nikon users have enormous selective reading prowess! :thumbup:

Viramati

A bricked camera (like the D70 after a BGLOD) will not power up. David's camera isn't "bricked".
Maybe not totally but if I hadnt discovered that if I turn it on and off quickly after getting the message it would be and most of course it's main feature IBIS no longer works. This is not a major issue as the main lens I am using on it is the 16-35 but I don't want a replacement if this is a production problem and could happen again. Will keep you updated on what Sony says

V

Vivek

Maybe not totally but if I hadnt discovered that if I turn it on and off quickly after getting the message it would be and most of course it's main feature IBIS no longer works. This is not a major issue as the main lens I am using on it is the 16-35 but I don't want a replacement if this is a production problem and could happen again. Will keep you updated on what Sony says
David, As an early adopter of adapters (all self made at that time!), I have seen error messages when the contacts (for the lens) in the camera are shorted. never had a camera fail due to that. Since there are many others who are using A7II without issues, it is unlikely that it is a fatal flaw.

Until the problem is figured out and rectified it is open season for the digital Holga users.

Hope you get things sorted out!

Viramati

Well I hadn't changed lens for a while and it just happened when turning on yesterday morning. It is the fact that Sony customer support told me that others are having the same problem that prompted me to post so people are away of this potential issue. They said they should be back to me by tomorrow afternoon with an update on the problem

Steve P.

Until the problem is figured out and rectified it is open season for the digital Holga users.
Vivek, in this thread you have posted six times as I write this. In four of those posts you brought Nikon into it. You alluded to Nikon again in yet another post, as quoted above. So far in this Sony thread you are the only poster who's even mentioned Nikon. This ought to tell you something. Sadly, It probably won't.

V

Vivek

Would you like a D300 (the only working Nikon digital camera I have left)? :)

Steve P.

Would you like a D300 (the only working Nikon digital camera I have left)? :)
God, NO! It lacks the flair ( or should that be flare? ) of more modern models!:D
Oh dear. I've probably just started you off again, haven't I? :facesmack:

V

Vivek

You read my mind! I was thinking of tinkering with it to make a cheaper (albeit APS-C) digital Holga instead of buying a D750. :D

I already know that (D300) and a AF Nikkor 50/1.8 auto focuses wonderfully to make stunning images like this! :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

BackToSlr

Oh dear hadn't thought of it like that!! I will immediately make offerings and light some incense on the shrine, so as a Buddhist maybe the bodhisattvas will come to my rescue.
As a Buddhist, perhaps it is wise to remember, "Desire is the root cause of sorrow" :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I know it's good to think of the 'good old days' (keeping in touch with one's inner grumpy old man), but I reckon companies are much keener to "do-it-right-from-the-outset" than they ever used to be.

Time was when an issue would never see the light of day, so it seemed that everything was great . . . . whereas nowadays, one slip up and it's all over the internet.

Sure - they had to fix things in the past on a camera by camera basis, but the chance of it getting around to normal users was very remote, whereas nowadays there's no chance of hiding things.
I'm sure there were similar problems in the past as well, but there's one gigantic difference:

Now, when there's a problem, it get fixed after a few months. Then, the camera sells another few months before a new model is released with a new problem that is solved after... and so on.

Then, if there was a problem or indeed room for improvement, it was fixed after a few months too, or maybe after a year. There was a new, better model launched then as well... after 5 or 10 years. There's a big difference between a 5 years and 5 months lifespan of a tested, reliable model.

Good, old days? Yes, indeed. I was perfectly happy with my OM-1 for 30 years and didn't really crave for an upgrade, although I did eventually buy an OM-3 when the OM-1 started to develop moss in the viewfinder. These days... I have 4 Nikon DSLR bodies that I use, all of them bought within the last 5 or 6 years. Three of them could be replaced with a second D810, but their combined value won't reach longer than half the price of another D810, so I live with what I have.

That's another side of the same story; not only do we buy defective cameras that the manufacturers expect us to accept, but they lose half their value within 1-3 years. Very good, old days they were :)

jonoslack

I
Good, old days? Yes, indeed. I was perfectly happy with my OM-1 for 30 years and didn't really crave for an upgrade, although I did eventually buy an OM-3 when the OM-1 started to develop moss in the viewfinder.
I never shot with OM, but my father - an excellent photographer who now has pictures in the Tate - had awful problems with batteries in one of his M cameras - (OM3? - I can't remember) it went on and on for years, never getting fixed and never being replaced by Olympus.

Viramati

Well had 2 conversations with sony today and both were rather frustrating as I have been unable to get any real update and keep getting varying info from different people as it is very hard to get to speak to the same person each time.
Anyway the B*^!%dy camera has started working again which is in a way annoying as I don't know whether it will breakdown again. I will go into my dealer next week and see what they can do for me. Grrrrrrrrr!!!

V

Vivek

David, Check your (manual) adapters again for any scratches where the camera's contacts are.

Viramati

I never shot with OM, but my father - an excellent photographer who now has pictures in the Tate - had awful problems with batteries in one of his M cameras - (OM3? - I can't remember) it went on and on for years, never getting fixed and never being replaced by Olympus.
I still have an OM4 in the cupboard (started my serious photography career with the OM1 etc) and yes it chews through batteries even when switched off, this could be made a bit better by leaving it in the 1/60sec mechanical shutter mode but though a problem at least the camera worked and was reliable in every other way. The OM4 and OM3 were great cameras but unfortunatley there spot metering system came at about the same time as the introduction of matrix metering and auto focus lenses and this was really the end of the line for the small OM cameras

Viramati

David, Check your (manual) adapters again for any scratches where the camera's contacts are.
I doubt this is nothing to do with manual adaptors as I haven't been using them lately and yesterday the camera wasn't working and then this morning it was without any change of lens,