The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New issue A7II 'camera error'

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I never shot with OM, but my father - an excellent photographer who now has pictures in the Tate - had awful problems with batteries in one of his M cameras - (OM3? - I can't remember) it went on and on for years, never getting fixed and never being replaced by Olympus.
Yup, the original OM-3 and 4 had unacceptable, irreparable problems with battery drain, which is the main reason why my OM-3 sees less use than the OM-2. The only solution is to buy an OM3T/Ti or 4T/Ti which was not really an acceptable way of solving the problem seen from the user side, not then and not now. But at least the OM-4T/Ti stayed in production for 16 years (the original OM-4 was only made for 4 years), giving users a few years to cover the extra cost. I somehow doubt that any current digital camera will stay in production for 16 years :)

Viramati

Yup, the original OM-3 and 4 had unacceptable, irreparable problems with battery drain, which is the main reason why my OM-3 sees less use than the OM-2. The only solution is to buy an OM3T/Ti or 4T/Ti which was not really an acceptable way of solving the problem seen from the user side, not then and not now. But at least the OM-4T/Ti stayed in production for 16 years (the original OM-4 was only made for 4 years), giving users a few years to cover the extra cost. I somehow doubt that any current digital camera will stay in production for 16 years :)
Mine is the OM4ti and it still drains over time when switched off and the only solution is to take the battery out. Anyway it was the OM System that initiated my love affair with small cameras

V

Vivek

May I suggest one alternate for the battery drain problem: the Leica SL2.

18 years on no problems! :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
You read my mind! I was thinking of tinkering with it to make a cheaper (albeit APS-C) digital Holga instead of buying a D750. :D

I already know that (D300) and a AF Nikkor 50/1.8 auto focuses wonderfully to make stunning images like this! :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Lets not joke about the golden years of bokehgraphy - Vivek worked very hard for this image, and it was applauded by thousands of bokehgraphers at that time....RIP, those were the days, and all that :watch: .

V

Vivek

Keith, Hope you are keeping well. Those were the good old days (though just a very few short years ago?)! I am coming there with the new EM5 II. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
May I suggest one alternate for the battery drain problem: the Leica SL2.

18 years on no problems! :)
I'm not sure how many batteries my OM-1 chewed through. It was either 3 or 4... in 30 years :shocked:
Mercury apparently did wonders for battery life.

pegelli

How did the thread about an a7mkII problem result in a discussion on battery cell life on OM bodies :confused:

But just for the record, my OM2 "spot/program" drained batteries like a madman, my OM4Ti was OK, and the cells in there lasted over a year without any problem.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Don't know but this is so far off topic, its scarying me folks are not even remotely close to being on topic. Last week I shot this A7II about as hard as anyone can shoot a cam. 13 thousand images in 4 days. That's a ton of shooting and I may add without out review on, I barely went through batteries as I thought I would. Now I had two freeze ups where AF failed to focus, failed to shoot and failed to operate in the proper manor. It was with both a FE lens and a A lens with adapter. All I know was I was half pressed each time. Now given I was shooting as hard as I and my assistant where it really did not bother me much but did lay down a question mark. Oh and this was with old firmware and new firmware. So that was not it either. Both times though vertical grip was attached. After the second time I removed the grip. But I'm still not sure it was that or what was the cause. In my case not sure its worth reporting it to Sony but my statement is here . I'm not going to worry about this but it was strange. Next week I have a 3 day gig and I'll be shooting the A7II as my primary.

Just a reminder this is a Sony forum I could give 3 shits about Nikon, canon, Olympus or any of them. I care about what I'm packing in my bag.

Guy Mancuso

Truth be told I did buy a new Backpack by Think Tank Airport essentials which is just about 2 lenses bigger than my TT streetwalker. I did sneak out in LA for a Samys camera visit.

Pretty soon I'll have enough bags to leave every member here a bag when they put the lid on me. ROTFLMO

Guy Mancuso

BTW OT is fine but folks try to keep it within reason. When it gets really out there than the thread message does get lost. Or better said keep it within at least 3 zip codes. Lol

Our international friends may not get that joke. Just ignore me I'm on 3 espressos

jonoslack

BTW OT is fine but folks try to keep it within reason. When it gets really out there than the thread message does get lost. Or better said keep it within at least 3 zip codes. Lol

Our international friends may not get that joke. Just ignore me I'm on 3 espressos
Or on the other hand they might! (I'm on 3 glasses of wine though :) )
. . . and bags is on topic? (bet I've got more than you).

. . . and so . . my A7ii seems to be behaving properly, and so does Silas's (FWIW)

Guy Mancuso

Yea I wish I knew the source of my two failures, I'm still leaning at 2 things a pretty hot cam from heavy use and maybe the vertical grip. Really hard to say since it was pretty rare instance. If it happened more I maybe could pin it down but as we all know we are shooting computers now and any electronic device will get its wires crossed at some point.

k-hawinkler

Don't know but this is so far off topic, its scarying me folks are not even remotely close to being on topic. Last week I shot this A7II about as hard as anyone can shoot a cam. 13 thousand images in 4 days. That's a ton of shooting and I may add without out review on, I barely went through batteries as I thought I would. Now I had two freeze ups where AF failed to focus, failed to shoot and failed to operate in the proper manor. It was with both a FE lens and a A lens with adapter. All I know was I was half pressed each time. Now given I was shooting as hard as I and my assistant where it really did not bother me much but did lay down a question mark. Oh and this was with old firmware and new firmware. So that was not it either. Both times though vertical grip was attached. After the second time I removed the grip. But I'm still not sure it was that or what was the cause. In my case not sure its worth reporting it to Sony but my statement is here . I'm not going to worry about this but it was strange. Next week I have a 3 day gig and I'll be shooting the A7II as my primary.

Just a reminder this is a Sony forum I could give 3 shits about Nikon, canon, Olympus or any of them. I care about what I'm packing in my bag.

Amazing! How many of those images get actually used? Could you please show a sample? TIA.
BTW, my Mitakon is still on the A7R. :cool:
:worthless:

Guy Mancuso

See if you folks can pick this up on Screen-test I shot in camera jpegs only and the rest i shot Raw. After the Screen Test i immediately dumped that idea as the compression in camera just sucks. I did not edit anything as people buy even the ones with closed eyes. Yea crazy but they do

Edgarco

Hi everyone! Unfortunately, i´m suffering the same issue on my brand new A7II right out of the box. Then i saw this thread and applied Viramati´s quickly on off workaround, of course with the same IBIS malfunction, but also a black bar like heavy vignetting appeared on the left side of the pictures on landscape orientation and heavy blur like lens decentering on the right upper corner....Decentering was the key... I´ve heard about decentering on lenses but.... is possible on a sensor? A quick view on the sensor an BAM!. A picture (or three?) is worth a thousand words.....

Guy Mancuso

Hi everyone! Unfortunately, i´m suffering the same issue on my brand new A7II right out of the box. Then i saw this thread and applied Viramati´s quickly on off workaround, of course with the same IBIS malfunction, but also a black bar like heavy vignetting appeared on the left side of the picture on landscape orientation and heavy blur like lens decentering on the right upper corner....Decentering was the key... I´ve heard about decentering on lenses but.... is possible on sensor? A quick view on the sensor an BAM!. A picture (or three?) is worth a thousand words.....
BTW welcome to the forum and great first post but sad to say what you have here is pretty rare when a sensor is what looks to me is not just not seated well but completely off its mounting points