The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Color Banding on Sony a7s with Zeiss 55mm 1.4

Clueso

Greetings from Switzerland!

My name's David and I got my A7S a week ago and bought a 55mm ZEISS 1.8 lense as wel - l but today when I went out shooting I recognized something on my images which bothers me a lot: Color Bending.

imgur: the simple image sharer (55mm 1.8 Iso 50 1/10s) shot in RAW
This example is less noticeable but have a look at the sky: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127228735@N02/16306131176/

Actually, it doesn't look that horrible (that's also due to the internet upload compression) but I have it on the pictures which I've taken today and they all have that kind of vignetting/ oval circles which is very remarkable if I am shooting a white wall for example or was out in the fog yesterday.

Can anybody explain this to me? And sorry, I might sound like a total noob but I really have no clue how to solve that problem and whether it's the lense or the sensor causing that problem.

Thanks!

Edit: Same thing also happens if I am shooting mp4 video files on a much lower level but still!
Edit 2: Tried it with another Canon Lense and Metabones Adapter. Less but still visible.

Viramati

Would need to have the original ARW image to be able to really see what you are talking about. Maybe you could put in Dropbox. Also remember that ISO 100 is in fact base ISO for this camera and by using 50 you are in essence 'pulling' the file and it won't be at it's best.

Viramati

Hi David
The file have downloaded in a strange dng.txt format so I can't load them into LR5 any chance of the ARW files

Bob Parsons

I've downloaded and opened the files in Adobe Camera Raw 8.7.1 without difficulty. On an 8 bit monitor I can't see any trace of banding. I don't have the 10 bit monitor set up at the moment which might be more able to see if there is a problem. Even adjusting levels in CS6 to give a very high contrast doesn't show banding. The files can take a lot of manipulation without showing any artefacts.

Let's see if anyone else can see a problem.

Bob.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have pushed this DNG pretty hard without much to complain.....

Sky Bending

Very nice picture BTW.

Bob

RVB

Hi David
The file have downloaded in a strange dng.txt format so I can't load them into LR5 any chance of the ARW files

Just rename the file with .dng at the end and it will open...

I open the files in LR and they look fine..

Rob

Viramati

Ok have downloaded and in Lr5 on both my LaCie 324 and Macbook pro calibrated screens they seem to be absolutely fine with no sign of banding

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Without looking my first gut reaction is your compressing into SRGB mode from the raws . You should process your files first out to Tiffs in a big color space like Prophoto or Adobe RGB 1998 first than take them from there into your jpegs for web. Basically your crushing this huge color space into a much smaller color space . That can cause a lot of color data being lost in the gradients of the colors. Also your monitor can not be calibrated and working in SRGB space. Biggest thing for new shooters is learning color management. It's far more important than folks think.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just FYI the 5 posters that said they look good are I know are folks that color manage there systems.

Hulyss Bowman

There is no banding in this file, even if you want it. Tortured it and all seems ok so I assume it is operator based problem.

Hulyss Bowman

There is no banding in A7s output.

I just applied the most basic "PP" needed on such picture. Framing and subject/location AkA the photo, are great. In the other hand it is badly exposed and there is no way this shoot was that blue and dull. Anyway it is a flat DNG.

So called "PP" was just setting a correct WB to equilibrate RGB chanel then the rest was just to show specular highlights who were present on this mountain (and as you can see there is almost no manipulations).

So if you prefer the badly exposed photo it up to you, I don't :)

The OP refer to banding but in what I see it is not. It is posterisation due to bad export and bad compression of his file.

P.S: I really wait the return of the OP, if he return one day after his two posts to expose a non existant problem.

Last edited: