The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AF Micro Adjust - best practices?

When you're doing AF Micro Adjust on the the Sonys, what target distance do you use?

I'm working on a Zeiss 135mm ƒ1.8 and find that the required adjustment varies quite a bit with target distance. I started with the target about 6 feet away and it needed +2. But with the target at 20 feet, I need -10. Is this kind of variation typical?

I'm shooting it wide open. Should I stop it down a bit for calibrating?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I don't use a target, at least an indoor one!

I had to adjust my A7II for my 70-400G with the LE4 adapter. As I do most of my photography with that lens at longer distances, I chose a subject (a lighthouse) at infinity. I calibrate wide open, which I'd recommend unless you know the lens has focus shift.

I start at -10, then -9 and so on all the way to +10. Put them all up on the screen at 100% and choose the best. Then take a few more at the selected setting and -1 and +1 from it just to be sure.

Turns out my 70-400 needs only a very slight adjustment. Can't remember what it was but -2 or+2 I think.

Bill