The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r Successor Coming Soon

sjg284

Don't forget a whole new computer to process those monster files in Lightroom.
Good chance your current setup won't cope well, unless you are already processing D800/A7r level photos with plenty of horsepower to spare!

Bill I can guarantee it will at least make you buy more hard drive space. Lol

turtle

Nah, they won't be monster files due to mandatory lossy compression!

I agree with most of the above: we need excellent lenses (in particular 16-24mm primes and a 85mm portrait lens). I have a feeling Zeiss will eventually deliver, but I am losing faith that Sony recognises the importance of high-end wide angle primes. Considering the application of such cameras, these should have come early, not at the tail end of the lens rollout.

There is only one lens in the Sony lineup that really is going to impress on 50MP and it is the 55mm. The 35mm will do on centre, but we will get nothing extra towards the edges. The lens is already the limiting factor. We will, however, get less moire and we may get slightly better tonality.

I took a chance on the system and I am very pleased with what it can do for me with what has been released, but I will not be investing a penny more in the system until I see prime lenses wide than 28mm that really can do the sensor justice. Simple.

Tim

until I see prime lenses wide than 28mm that really can do the sensor justice. Simple.
My hands up for a 21mm f2.8 prime that's not too big. Notice I give up a bit on max aperture to help reduce size/weight. Something akin to that lovely Fuji APSC 14mm (21 equiv).

anGy

* 50MP sensor
* Uncompressed raw files
* A7II body
* IBIS stabilisation
* Electronic shutter
* better EVF (color/contrast)
* Better AF
* and, why not, binning option to get clean, A7s like, high iso 12MP files

That's my wish list but I'm pretty sure that Sony will distil them with parcimony in the next to come 50MP.
We will have to wait for the next generation in 18 months to get our dream cam.
But within 18 months from now we will have even higher expectations, fed by new 'must have' options that won't be present in this dream cam but in the next to come...
If this business scenario shows up, I'll buy a D810 an stick with it for 3 years at least, hopefully :rolleyes:

tn1krr

* 50MP sensor
* Uncompressed raw files
* A7II body
* IBIS stabilisation
* Electronic shutter
My Metabones + ZEiss APO Sonnar ZE 135/2 combo is having sleepless nights waiting for features listed above materialize in a camera. I'd even be happy with a 36 MP sensor if there is EFCS, IBIS and lossless (compression is ok, just like Nikon NEF, lossy compression is not) RAW.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
* 50MP sensor
* Uncompressed raw files
* A7II body
* IBIS stabilisation
* Electronic shutter
* better EVF (color/contrast)
* Better AF
* and, why not, binning option to get clean, A7s like, high iso 12MP files

I would take all this in a heart beat even at 36mpx, 50 mpx is a bonus sort of with glass I figure we can at least squeeze 42mpx out our current glass for the most part. Ill take that too. Not kidding as much as I hate being first in line, I will this time if it has the A7II attributes.

V

Vivek

Like someone posted earlier, that guy is out of news (after the Sony hack and all) and is just churning out garbage.

iiiNelson

Like someone posted earlier, that guy is out of news (after the Sony hack and all) and is just churning out garbage.
Possibly but a lot of what he says comes to fruition. Some of the other stuff may get locked away in some R&D department though as well.

philip_pj

SAR does rather well as a clearing house to keep up with the myriad pieces of information out there, much of that can be hard to find. Interviews with designers and developers, snippets and links to product reviews all are of value. I am interested in the 'behind the scenes' people, for example. And yes, he will have the story first and cover it best.

Just don't go near the comments section.

Lars

I'm all for higher-res sensors - this forces lens makers to shape up, so eventually we'll get better lenses across the board. More is better. :)

Quentin_Bargate

Where do I place my order? A 50mp camera like this is the end game for me. I have a monster computer used to processing Hassy 200MS 6 shot files, so no worries on the processing front. Bring it on.

Uaiomex

This would be an interesting development if it aids in Sony getting more accurate AF into their bodies. This could potentially be huge to have 5-Axis and pro level AF response with the best 35mm sensors.

Canon-Sony partnership on new 50MP sensor? | sonyalpharumors
IF TRUE, then this was a very smart move from Canon. Having both DualPixel and Exmor tech will put Canon ahead of Nikon for a few years. Years that can be used to keep looking for ways to keep up with Sony and Samsung sensor technologies. Canon bought time.
Eduardo

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You know folks I just did a 3 day event like I have been doing for years but I have to say I am worn out. The weight and bulk do get to you after you get over the hill age. So I look forward to more mirror less type systems from Sony and I'm all for advancement in technology. I'm never going back to a DSLR so here I am at that line in the sand and I'm staying mirror less.

MikalWGrass

If the AF is good and I can use the A mount lenses with a good adapter that won't take away from the speed of the AF, I may be all in, depending upon the price.

I like SAR but find that the comment section is sometimes far more accurate than the blogger himself.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Don't forget a whole new computer to process those monster files in Lightroom.
Good chance your current setup won't cope well, unless you are already processing D800/A7r level photos with plenty of horsepower to spare!
No problem for me - my primary system is an IQ180 MFDB which gives 80 megabyte raw files....!

And much as I love my a7r/a7II, they ain't no match for MFDB for landscape pix printed large.