The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash on Sony

soboyle

New to Sony flash. Is Sony's flash a non-standard interface on the hot shoe?
I'm looking to pick up a hot shoe to miniphone to go to off camera flash. Will a standard hot shoe work, or do I need something from Sony?
Camera is A7r

The a7 series has what's called the 'multi-interface' hotshoe. It works like a normal hotshoe for simple firing of a flash, but includes additional pins for TTL, etc when used with dedicated devices.

So yes, a standard shoe should work as expected.

V

Vivek

It is an issue and the Sony hotshoe is unreliable! Check every time before firing!

V

Vivek

Won"t fire all the time and it varies on the fit of the transmitter/ contact.

Moreover, the highest sync speeds are 1 stop less than advertised ( that only works with Sony or Sony compatible flashes). Sony really screwed up the flash mount.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm using both the A7r and A7II. I'm actually on big gig right now using both setups. The PW I use is the III

JMaher

I have used Godox transmitters with no problems on studio flash. I have also used an old Nikon sb28 in auto with no misfires. A7r and A72

Rollei6008i

I also new to Sony(A99) , just a few(1 or 2) flashes can be found on the market, besides Sony brand, I choose Phottix which has sony mount & compatiable to original . Built in trigger & reciever, really good.

iiiNelson

I also new to Sony(A99) , just a few(1 or 2) flashes can be found on the market, besides Sony brand, I choose Phottix which has sony mount & compatiable to original . Built in trigger & reciever, really good.
Agree the choices are limited if you want TTL but there are options from Phottix, Nissin, and of course Sony. The good thing is that most flashes/accessories will work in manual mode.

soboyle

I'll be using the Lumopro 180 in manual. This flash gets a lot of recommendations, so interested to see how it works out on the A7r.

iiiNelson

I'll be using the Lumopro 180 in manual. This flash gets a lot of recommendations, so interested to see how it works out on the A7r.
I haven't used it myself but I'm sure all will be interested in your feedback. I heard good things about the Quantum (or Quantaray... I forget) Strobie but it was from a salesman as well.