The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm (f/2 & faster) options

Annna T

Do you know of a 28mm f/2 (or thereabouts- any mount) ) lens that can be used wide open for astrophotography?
Not sure what you mean by "28mm or there about", but astrophotographers seems to rave about the Canon 24mm F1.4 and also about the Samyang/Rokinon 24mm F1.4

Best Lenses for Milky Way Photography: Canon Astrophotographers – Lonely Speck
(Review of different lenses, but seems a little biased toward the Rokinon/Samyang.

Lenses for Astrophotography
(Canon 28mm F1.8 and 24mm F1.4 are said to be OK at F3.5 and good at F4.5

areichow

BTW, for those that were hoping to use the Sony 28/2 lens wide open for astrophotography, I noticed some shots on flickr that show some pretty strong coma in the corners. Unfortunate. :/
The samples I saw on FM looked pretty good for coma at f/2, especially given the cost. Did you have a link?

Malina DZ

There's another fast 28mm alternative on the market - Leica Q.
It's as sharp as 50/1.4 ZA and FE 55/1.8 according to DPreview studio scene samples at f/5.6. With distortion correction embedded into DNG profile, Q shows less distortion than Sony's 50 & 55mm lenses uncorrected. Which is still striking for a "brick wall" scene. IQ overall is amazing right from f/1.7 keeping in mind the image processor corrections (aberrations and distortion).
What bothers me is poor optical correction for distortion which becomes obvious in portraiture. Embedded profile doesn't help in this scenario. I'm yet to see a half body portrait that won't showcase twisted body parts. I know it's tough for 75° FOV, but it's a priority for me above the acutance.
In addition, Leica's reluctance to post MTF and distortion graphs make me pause and contemplate over the use of Q for my shooting style. I had high hopes for this camera.

28mm f/8

Another gripe I have with Q is iso12500 quality. It's below acceptable level for night time photography. Red channel is falling apart at this level of sensitivity with highly inaccurate color gamut. Canon 6D with 28/2 ZE will do a better job than Q in this regard.

I'm looking at Sigma now and hope they release 28mm Art lens soon.

28mm f/1.8

Last edited: