The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

what sony to get next? or non-sony?

absolutic

I have a 2 and 5 yr old and have been thru a bunch of cams after leaving a 5D2 I shot with for 3 yrs and started churning cameras. If AF acquisition speed in low light is your primary concern then one of the m4/3 cameras with -4EV AF is a great option. Tracking sucks but single AF is so good you can get a lot of keepers. That is my recommendation currently having A7ii, A7s, GH4, EM1 and GM5 and X100T and having dived back into dslrs for a bit with a d800.

a7s is awesome for kid shooting based on ability to maintain high shutter speeds but AF acquisition speed isn't on par with m4/3. Just today I took some pics of my moving 2 yr old with the FE 35/2.8 (quick to focus) in single shot AFS and when I looked closely they were out of focus and noted that my GH4 would have nailed it.

I remain tempted by the smaller D750 with smaller primes as a stopgap measure until AF performance converges but I don't need more options on what to take each day.
OP here. Well I just pulled a trigger on a used a77m2 which will come to me in couple days. I know it is EV-2 vs Ev-4 on latest Panasonic m43 but some ev-2 are actually very good. For example canon 5dm3 is ev-2 and that camera focused for me in any light fast and I never had issues with focus just nailed shot after shot. Let's see if the Sony a77ii is up to the task....

pingu666

My oddball choice is a Fuji instax wide
I have the 200, and its actually really good, and af isn't a issue as its close or far :D
onboard flash works way better than you would think

And its magic, that helps with kids :)