The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official pic of the new FE lenses

darrellc

Any word on weight of the FE 35/1.4?

I'm selling a VC 35/1.2 at 471g, hoping to swap out for a much better under f/2 FE 35/1.4 at same or less weight and I just bought ryc's Loxia 35 for a smaller manual 35 solution to pair with it (probably sell FE 35/2.8 and RX1 once I have the Loxia/FE 35 pair).

jonoslack

Don't be ashamed... I've actually have gone back and forth on the prospect of the 24-240 as a travel lens. If it's good I'd add one for travel and daylight.
Hah - not ashamed :) - I'd still rather shoot primes on an M, so the a7 is for zooms, and if this one works, then I'm interested.

Eoin

Interesting, the new 35 f1.4 seems to have an aperture ring. Am I missing something here?.
28 f2 looks tiny and almost toy-ish beside it, I'm keeping an eye out for sample images from this lens in it's native FL.

iiiNelson

Interesting, the new 35 f1.4 seems to have an aperture ring. Am I missing something here?.
28 f2 looks tiny and almost toy-ish beside it, I'm keeping an eye out for sample images from this lens in it's native FL.
Well the 28/2 is about 2/3 the size of the 55FE jusdging from pictures which should make the 35 about the size of the 24-70FE I'd assume.

darrellc

FE 35/1.4 has aperture ring and switch to make it clickless - great for video so you can have silent and continuous (vs. stepped - bad for video) aperture changes.

Looks like FE 35 1.4 takes 72mm filters, so same filter size as FE 16-35.

Eoin

FE 35/1.4 has aperture ring and switch to make it clickless - great for video so you can have silent and continuous (vs. stepped - bad for video) aperture changes.

Looks like FE 35 1.4 takes 72mm filters, so same filter size as FE 16-35.
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up for me!

Paratom

To me the 35/1.4 and the Zooms look pretty big for an A7xx body.
The 28mm looks nice but 35mm is more my focal lengths. For my needs size wise the 35 Loxia and 35/2.8FE are more interesting.
If I was using a lot of fast and big lenses I would probably rather use an A99 (or DSLR from another brand).

Eoin

So the 28 is just a Sony lens, neither a G or a Zeiss ..
I'm with you on the size factor Paratom, I got into this system for the small size and lack of weight.
I guess I'll just continue on the Alt glass trail for the moment, C/Y Zeiss 28 f2.8, 85 f2.8, 100 f3.5 are looking better options for me at this stage of the Sony "road map".

iiiNelson

To me the 35/1.4 and the Zooms look pretty big for an A7xx body.
The 28mm looks nice but 35mm is more my focal lengths. For my needs size wise the 35 Loxia and 35/2.8FE are more interesting.
If I was using a lot of fast and big lenses I would probably rather use an A99 (or DSLR from another brand).
You'd lose the flexibility to mount lenses of any mount on a A99. Just goes to show there's multiple purposes/reasons to choose the system. Like you said there are smaller and slower lenses for those that value size more.