The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Weird or normal?

V

Vivek

After just 2 days with the A7s, I notice a few differences between this and the megapixel A7r (dated).

With the same lens (tele to avoid vignetting related issues), the 7s is "brighter" - requires lesser exposure times.

Also, the magnified images (center) are sharper.

All this before clicking to take a shot. Of course, the EFCS (quieter than the A7) or the Silent shutter of the 7s is something else.

Could anyone who has the 7s and the 7r please check if what I am seeing is correct or am I imagining things? TIA!

Not sure this is what you want to hear, but all three of mine give identical exposure readings off a gray card. All set to center metering, manual ISO; Mitakon 50mm set to ƒ2.8 on all.

Just a thought...make sure you have the DRO (dynamic range optimizer) settings the same on both cameras. That can affect the metering with some subjects.

CharlesK

After just 2 days with the A7s, I notice a few differences between this and the megapixel A7r (dated).

With the same lens (tele to avoid vignetting related issues), the 7s is "brighter" - requires lesser exposure times.

Also, the magnified images (center) are sharper.

All this before clicking to take a shot. Of course, the EFCS (quieter than the A7) or the Silent shutter of the 7s is something else.

Could anyone who has the 7s and the 7r please check if what I am seeing is correct or am I imagining things? TIA!
I now have the A7II, A7s and A7r. The A7s is my favourite camera to go. There are a lot of subtle and many not so subtle changes that Sony had made to the A7s. The EVF and LCD respond differently, and it is a pleasure to use the A7s outside in the bright sunlight, as compared to the A7r.

I have not noticed the lesser exposure time with the A7s compared to the A7r. The colour and rendering is amazing with the A7s. It yields probably some of the best B&W conversions I have seen.

There may be a number of enhancements with the A7s that culminate with better viewing/reviewing than with the A7r. With A7II there are improvements again just in reviewing the shots.

V

Vivek

Just a thought...make sure you have the DRO (dynamic range optimizer) settings the same on both cameras. That can affect the metering with some subjects.
I missed that.:eek: The 7s has the default (DRO optimisation) settings while the 7r did not. Thanks! :)

I was checking it at ISO2500 at night (across the street). Details lost by the A7r due to noise seems substantial.