The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Meike vertical/battery grip for A7ii available

I've held off buying the Sony battery grip for the A7ii, because of its rather high price. Today I noticed that Meike has started making one, and like their earlier effort for the A7 it incorporates a wireless remote. Only $129. Decided to take a chance and order one. It's shipping from China, so it will be a while before I have any impressions to share.

PS
Model is Meike MK-A7II.
Here's an eBay listing

I have the Sony one and it's very nice but love to hear about this knockoff . Keep us posted
I was just about to cave in and buy the Sony, then this appeared. I had a Meike grip for my D800, and it was OK, but definitely not OEM quality. I don't use grips that often, so I'm guessing it will suffice.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use it mainly 2 times a year when shooting about 12 k images per event and there all verticals so I have to have one but heck a cheaper version would be fine . I paid a ton for the Sony very nice indeed but over priced if you ask me.

mathomas

I shelled out for the OEM grip, too. Huge improvement in handling, but suddenly my tiny little camera (especially with adapted Leica R lenses) is no longer tiny or little. Hard to find the right bag for it in my collection. Certainly smaller than the A900 with grip, though, and feels so much denser.

I'm also interested in how the aftermarket item fares, even though I've already paid my pound of gold for the Sony.

The Meike grip arrived and seems fine. Fit and finish is OK, and the surface textures and color match the Sony reasonably well.

For $220 less than the Sony, I'm happy.

mathomas

Glad you're satisfied. I LOVE my Sony grip -- it completly transforms the handling of the camera. Now if it didn't make it so big. Oh, wait, I've already whined illogically about that. :)

mbroomfield

Mike, I don't know if you use L plates or would want one for this body as it has IBIS, but if you do keep an eye on Promedia. I bought one for the A7r with the Meike grip and it works very well, allows you to slide the battery compartment out without removing the plate. They don't offer a version for the A7II yet and I don't know if the A7x version will fit.

Sony

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just bought a off brand for my A7r. For 64 dollars worth having for the occasional job which I have one next week for two days shooting models in the studio with the A7r it will come in handy. So both cameras have vertical grips.

Well, so much for saving a few bucks. I started actually using the grip and discovered, much to my chagrin, that the function buttons on the grip (i.e. C1, C2, C3) do not function when using the EVF of the camera. Strangely, they -do- work when using the rear display on the camera.

Now to try to get some satisfaction from the seller in Hong Kong. Argh!