The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there an off-camera TTL extension cable available?

mjm6

OK, so I am putting together a flash arrangement for my Sony A7R and need to be able to do some shooting with the flash off the camera. I doubt I need TTL, but let's start with that...

I want an adapter cable to use the flash off the camera and still have TTL sync. I don't want to cobble together a cable in pieces with Sony's adapter blocks and the coiled jack. Does anyone know if anyone is making a cable to do that in a single piece?

There's plenty for the old Sony/Minolta flash shoe, but seemingly none for the newer multi-interface shoe.

Second, if that fails, what about just a hotshoe to hotshoe connector? Non-TTL. Do the contacts in the multi-interface shoe interfere with making that old approach viable?

Thanks,

---Michael

V

Vivek

Phottix has the wireless (radio) TTL trans/receivers and flashes.

AFAIK, no cable TTL exists for the current flash shoe.

Single point (non TTL) cable, like the old Nikon SC-17 works. The sync speeds you would get out of that is less than the maximum possible.

mjm6

Thanks Vivek, that is what I feared based on my searching around.

I'm OK with a non-dedicated cord, so I'll go that route for the time being. Maybe put together a TTL setup later, but for my initial purpose, I really just need a reliable trigger.

I also don't need to worry about the sync speed, because this is primarily for copy work, and I'll be tripod mounted and can work at any speed of my choosing.

---Michael

tn1krr

Phottix has the wireless (radio) TTL trans/receivers and flashes.

AFAIK, no cable TTL exists for the current flash shoe.

Single point (non TTL) cable, like the old Nikon SC-17 works. The sync speeds you would get out of that is less than the maximum possible.
ADP-MAA and ADP-AMA adapters + old hotshoe TTL cable will give this functionality if one absolutely needs it. I actually modified a cable for old hotshoe with some RJ45-connectors so that I can extend a TTL cable with any CAT-6 cable. Worked just perfect with the longest cable I tested which was 5 meters if I remember correctly.

mjm6

tn1krr,

I'm a little unclear on what you did. Can you show us a photo or two? I've made up cable in the past, and also wired CAT 5 & 6 so this is no problem for me to do, but I'd need to get a hold of the appropriate interface blocks from someone to do it properly.

Thanks,

---Michael

tn1krr

tn1krr,

I'm a little unclear on what you did. Can you show us a photo or two? I've made up cable in the past, and also wired CAT 5 & 6 so this is no problem for me to do, but I'd need to get a hold of the appropriate interface blocks from someone to do it properly.
I just cut a "Minolta" TTL cable in the middle and added RJ-45 connector to both ends just cut. After than I can use any RJ-45 cables/connectors to extend the cable to eany length needed. I'll see if I can find that cable (been a while since I used it) and take a pic if needed.