The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a7r shots from some hikes

larkis

I like the size of the A7r's for backpacking in more remote locations. Two bodies and 3 lenses still give room for a solar panel & battery in my 48L backpack, including some support gear. Besides some design annoyances and lame (pre cooked, compressed) raws, I'm enjoying this setup.

The forum scales the images down a little so they could be loosing some acuity, but here are a few:

turtle

Super photos from what must have been a great experience! It never ceases to amaze me how people forget about the importance of weight savings to very mobile photographers.

I've blogged quite a bit on the A7 and A7R and, despite their flaws, I am still hugely impressed by mine.

philip_pj

I shoot a fair bit of mountain scenery and see this level of performance. The quality of base ISO DR combined with the high resolution is so good it gives you the format's best ever tonality and realism in snow and high tones generally, and you can dial in shadows to your exact needs. Very enjoyable, very photorealistic.

What it enables you to do is to use the sheer file quality to concentrate on enhancing an already excellent composition (content is still king), with little need to sauce up the image. Because the a7r is so good at this, you find yourself trying harder to take advantage of it.

Nature in wilderness areas looks great so why not show it the best you can? The a7r is far better than human vision, so you get the joy of reflecting on these large detailed files of places you never really saw fully, years later. From a 465 gram FF body you can very easily carry to altitude and alpine environments.

mjm6

Great images... where are they? I don't recognize the mountains in the shots.

---Michael

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Gorgeous images, Larkis! Congratulations.

What solar charger do you use? I'm taking a two week wilderness trip in July and while I have 6 a7r/II batteries, I'll need to recharge them.

larkis

Gorgeous images, Larkis! Congratulations.

What solar charger do you use? I'm taking a two week wilderness trip in July and while I have 6 a7r/II batteries, I'll need to recharge them.
I have been using the Sherpa 100 with a nomad 20 solar panel. It works great assuming you have sunny days. I was charing the 6 a7r batteries plus an inReach satellite communicator and iphone. Depending on how quickly you burn through the camera batteries, you can also charge a laptop.

PS: Is Tobermory and the area all iced up right now ?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Larkis!
Yes, Lake Huron and Georgian Bay are pretty much ice covered. In fact the Great Lakes are more frozen than any time since the 1970's.

But I'm on my way to the Caribbean!

Bill