The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS lens

V

Vivek

Someone pointed out this elsewhere:

Any ideas on how we will be able to use Sony Macro flash system with the new FE 90mm? Sony only includes 55 mm and 49mm adapters and this lens is 62mm filter size.
Sony need to think through before coming up with such lenses.

Knorp

I just weighted my two 90mm lenses :

The Zeiss Contax G 90mm F2.8 weight only 239 gr. without any caps.
with hood and caps, it weight 281. gr. The DeoTech smart adapter weight 78gr. The whole, adapters and all (rear cap, front cap and hood) weight 369gr. Filter size is only 46mm.

The Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro (an older version without stabilization) weight 382gr. naked (without any caps or hood). With hoods and caps it weight 426gr. I have a Canon mount, so the metabones smart adapter is heavy : 150gr. So with Adapter hoods and caps that makes 587gr. But this lens balance very well on the A7r (probably because the adapter is standing very near of the body, while the rest of the lens is light. Also that lens is quite slim and as I have seen when comparing the 70-200 F4 G to the Canon 70-200 F4, having a thinner lens makes the whole more friendly to use.

Both of the lenses are sharp and produce good results on the A7r. So I don't think that I'll get the new Sony Macro. Hopefully we will get one lighter 90mm from Zeiss, so that I can use AF more conveniently.
Hi there Annna,

I always found that relative heavy gear gave me a better and more steady grip.
What is your experience ?

Note: having to drag it around all day is a complete different matter of course.

Kind regards.

Annna T

Hi there Annna,

I always found that relative heavy gear gave me a better and more steady grip.
What is your experience ?

Note: having to drag it around all day is a complete different matter of course.

Kind regards.
I don't have particularly steady hands, but I don't think that adding much weight improves my shooting : for instance when using the 70-200mm Sony, my muscles are too strained after a while and this launch some trembling of its own.

I think that part of it has something to do with how the weight is distributed. For instance I find that both the 24-70mm and the 16-35mm makes the camera front heavy and with the lens tending to sink. It is less comfortable then. The 90mm Tamron when mounted on the A7r is very agreable : most of the weight resides in the body or near of the body. So while the total weight is quite similar to the 24-70mm, it is much easier to hold for me.

I started photographing with a Contax G (a rangefinder) and I'm nostalgic of what that system had to offer.

I try to compensate lack of steadyness using higher speeds.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Anna have you tired the vertical grip. I know it adds bulk but it does help a lot on hand holding

Knorp

Bart, Just wondering if you ever shot with that on the orphaned Leica R system bodies?

The 90/2.8 from Sony is hardly a feather weight. It appears to have too many buttons on it, especially for a lens, as well. :eek:
Hi there Vivek,

no never on an R-body, but did so on Pentax K5IIs, Sony A7r and Olympus EM1.
Nevermind the buttons: I like buttons ...

Kind regards.

Knorp

I don't have particularly steady hands, but I don't think that adding much weight improves my shooting : for instance when using the 70-200mm Sony, my muscles are too strained after a while and this launch some trembling of its own.

I think that part of it has something to do with how the weight is distributed. For instance I find that both the 24-70mm and the 16-35mm makes the camera front heavy and with the lens tending to sink. It is less comfortable then. The 90mm Tamron when mounted on the A7r is very agreable : most of the weight resides in the body or near of the body. So while the total weight is quite similar to the 24-70mm, it is much easier to hold for me.

I started photographing with a Contax G (a rangefinder) and I'm nostalgic of what that system had to offer.

I try to compensate lack of steadyness using higher speeds.
Well, I see and I have to agree adding too much weight won't help, on the contrary.
I remember all too well my Leica 1:2.8/70-180, weighing almost 2 kilos, that had me worn out within an hour of intensive use.
But I still believe adding a little bulk to otherwise relative light equipment may improve stability without compromising comfort.
In the end it's also down to one's physical appearance and therefore what is regarded as comfortable is very personal.

Kind regards.

davidstock

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this lens will be optically impressive, including at landscape distances. Most macros are, but not all.

I use this focal length constantly. But I've been struggling with my (adapted) Zeiss/Contax 85mm f1.4 on my A7 while I wait for a native Sony A solution.

Weight and size are definitely issues for me, as are autofocus, auto stop-down, and OSS.

The 85mm is very sharp at distance when stopped down, but a bit clunky to hold and use. I usually open up the aperture to 2.8 to magnify and focus, then stop down to taking aperture. While I'm messing around with that with my left hand, the camera starts to feels pretty front-heavy in my right hand. It's okay, but not wonderful.

After the weight and length of the adapter are included, my current Planar/Fotodiox combo is actually heavier than this new Sony macro. And only a little bit shorter. The macro seems to have all the features I want. So I'll definitely be watching the reviews carefully and hoping for the best.

Cheers,

--David

Last edited:

dandrewk

Tortuous wait, I know.

But then, quite a few of these should be in the hands of reviewers by then, so the verdict on the lens should be well known by release date.

philip_pj

Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ? Lenses - FE 90*mm F2.8 Macro G OSS

I am getting very interested in the 90mm but all these lenses create a good initial impression, to my way of thinking. Sony is aiming up for character, it seems, and OOF/bokeh is a big emphasis.

The 90, while heavier than ideal but same as Canon and much lighter than the top macros (eg 100/2.8 APO R), will likely please the thinking photographer with its versatility. MTF look promising. A 1:1 90mm lens with great correction - 15/11 - and OSS will make an a7r quite the weapon. How will it go at typical street FDs - say 3-5m? 25m? Infinity? Release is July, sad. In keeping with the times, I want it and I want it now!

Even the 28mm is loaded with ED/asph, it will go for just ~$400, 200 grams will make a fine wide option. a7r plus 28/2 for 665 grams, lighter than an M240 body.

dandrewk

BH Photo has changed my order status to "shipped", so I should be receiving the lens tomorrow. Yay!

I'm looking forward to this lens, as well as other user reports.

ggibson

Looks like this is the lens for those folks who complained in the Batis 3% distortion thread. :p Optically superb!

How's the handling and weight? Does the camera sit flat on a table with it mounted?

Guy Mancuso

I'll post some images in the next day or two. From using it so far, the AF is every bit as fast and accurate as any other FE lens I own.

In the meantime, slr gear has their review of the lens online:

Sony Lens: Primes - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS SEL90M28G (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

tldr; Sharp as heck, expensive, and worth it!
Hmmm this is what I wanted to hear. I'm more interested in this lens but not as a macro per say but something that is good at mid range and infinity but also with fast AF for a portrait . Here is the rub if you have the 55 1.8 or a Loxia 50 F2 you have some fast glass near that 85 mm mark now here is my thought for speed grab a Canon 135 F2 and now you get a very sharp cheap lens that can do low light work. With A7RII a F2.8 90 maybe work very good with it. And if you have two F2 lenses on either side of it the 90 is not so much needed for low light stuff. Besides all that I don't have to wait for it. It's shipping

I still want the Batis 25 but this may make the Batis 85 redundant. Something to chew on

Guy Mancuso

Sony 90mm

Front:62 mm
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.11 x 5.14" (79.0 x 130.5 mm)
Weight 1.32 lb (602 g)

Zeiss 35mm 1.4

Front:72 mm
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.09 x 4.41" (78.5 x 112.0 mm)
Weight 1.39 lb (630 g)

Guy Mancuso

Okay Batis 85mm

Filter Thread Front:67 mm x 0.75 mm Pitch
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.19 x 3.62" (81 x 92 mm)
Weight 1.05 lb (475 g)