The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Meike battery grip is NO GOOD, after all

I spoke too soon (in another thread) when recommending the Meike battery grip for the a7II.

I started actually using it and discovered, much to my chagrin, that the function buttons on the grip (i.e. C1, C2, C3) don't work when using the EVF of the camera. Strangely, they -do- work when using the rear display on the camera.

Another user over at FM reported the same problem.

So much for saving a few bucks.

PS
Now to try to get some satisfaction from the seller in Hong Kong. Argh!

anGy

Same issue here, nothing happens pressing the custom buttons on the grip when using the EVF. Even more frustrating there is an error message filling the EVF & LCD screen each time the EVF is activated. Need to half press the shutter button and wait for a second or two before it disappears. Shame.
Hope this will be solved in some way.

iiiNelson

Sorry to hear it didn't workout for you. I've been burned too many times in the past with non-OEM/non-premium products so I just pay the price for peace of mind.

FYI, the eBay seller of the Meike grip responded. He said -

"After checking with the manufacturer, the custom buttons seems not functioned well in the first lot.
We will ask the goods are improved and relisted if they are improved."

He offered a 10% discount if I want to keep the grip, but that's hardly adequate to cover the defect.

iiiNelson

FYI, the eBay seller of the Meike grip responded. He said -

"After checking with the manufacturer, the custom buttons seems not functioned well in the first lot.
We will ask the goods are improved and relisted if they are improved."

He offered a 10% discount if I want to keep the grip, but that's hardly adequate to cover the defect.
Yeah a refund and/or full trade value towards a discounted OEM grip would be nice for your trouble.

mbroomfield

Yes, 10% discount seems like he's trying to see what he can get away with. I think you could get a full refund.

I'll be interested in how well the Neewar does Guy. I have the Meike for the A7r. It works OK (including the C1 button which I tested after MikeE's post).

Yes, 10% discount seems like he's trying to see what he can get away with. I think you could get a full refund.
I'm pretty confident I'll get a refund (either from the seller or through eBay's intervention).
But don't relish having to ship the thing back to China at my expense.

In the meantime, I've ordered the real one.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay the one I got for the A7r on Amazon called Vokkor I think failed and camera down about 7 times in the studio. Finally I pulled it off and shot about another 300 images without it and no failures. So it was clearly the grip. My Advice buy Sony brand and ignore these knockoffs.

Refund of original price received from seller, but I'm out the $15 to ship the thing back to Hong Kong.

Nice Sony-brand grip arrived. Case closed.