The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony travel the world kit

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Let's have some fun. Say you won a contest to travel the world all expenses paid for 3 months. The only catch is you come home with 50 outstanding travel images, so what kit would you take. Rules are you need at least 1 body, 1 lens and 1 bag, that's the minimum. Oh and 1 tripod. So pick all 4 general items plus plus. What tripod , what bag , what lenses and what cameras.

What's the best in your mind. Remember this is for fun:toocool:

V

Vivek

Easy. After a few days in Paris, I know this.

The A7s plus the Olympus pen F 60/1.5 plus ~10 batteries, a few SD cards, towels, air blower. Everything in a Lowepro AW 16L.

NO tripods (charger and such, of course).

Michiel Schierbeek

I would take the A7r and the following lenses:

Zooms:
new Zeiss 16-35
Contax N 24-85
Contax N 70-200

That could be enough but I will need some fast evening prime lenses:
VC Ultron 21/1.8
Contax Distagon 35/1.4
Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2

And then my Sirui mini travel tripod all in my Lowepro sling bag and also a low profile
smaller shoulder bag for dayly use. And don't forget the battery grip.

Tim

My Ricoh GR goes in a pocket. Thats 28mm taken care of.
In a small over the shoulder Think Tank bag, I'd take my A7II with either the new 15mm VC MkIII OR a VC 20mm SL AND a Sony FE 55mm. Throw in copious amounts of SD cards as I would leave laptops and tablets home.

In place of the tripod I would take a camera bean bag to rest cameras on tables and rocks and one of those bottle cap tripod heads, which I'd probably never end up using. :D

IF I took a tripod I'd take one of those pano head kits that pack away.

As I go out the door I would chicken out and pop the Sigma DP2 Merrill in the bag as well.

:watch:

Guy Mancuso

Yes think night shooting too folks.

I'm heading out to a job but I know one lens would certainly be in my bag the 16-35

Guy Mancuso

My Ricoh GR goes in a pocket. Thats 28mm taken care of.
In a small over the shoulder Think Tank bag, I'd take my A7II with the new 15mm VC MkIII OR a VC 20mm SL and a Sony FE 55mm. Throw in copious amounts of SD cards as I would leave laptops and tablets home.

In place of the tripod I would take a camera bean bag to rest cameras on tables and rocks and one of those bottle cap tripod heads, which I'd probably never end up using. :D

As I go out the door I would chicken out and pop the Sigma DP2 Merrill in the bag as well.

:watch:
Novaflex has a cool table top that fits in your pocket. I'll get a link later

Tim

I really find these posts a great way of verbalising what I end up considering before leaving. I guess we all do, when you have more stuff than you can take!
Last holiday I took the GR and DP2M only. And I never really missed having anything else. So it was 28mm/45mm pair. To a large degree it was dictated by the current mood.

I think I could also do it with the A7II with FE 55mm and a 28mm or maybe even a 24mm would be better.
It seems to be for many mirrorless users about paring down weight vs will the kit cover 90% of your wants/needs.

I wonder if someone approaches what they take from a different way other than focal length?

Thomas Fallon

Great. The forum is giving away a 3 months all-expenses paid trip around the world. Fantastic. I will take a A7r, an A7r modified to IR, 15 mm Zeiss, 17 Canon t/s that I bought from Guy, 100 mm Zeiss macro, and Pentax 85 mm Soft focus.

jfirneno

Let's have some fun. Say you won a contest to travel the world all expenses paid for 3 months. The only catch is you come home with 50 outstanding travel images, so what kit would you take. Rules are you need at least 1 body, 1 lens and 1 bag, that's the minimum. Oh and 1 tripod. So pick all 4 general items plus plus. What tripod , what bag , what lenses and what cameras.

So let's see. I'll bring the A7S and the A7R and the A7II. Each has its strength. Also the Sony A850 just for any action shots. For a-mount I'll take the 135/f1.8 and the 200/f4 macro. I'll want the LAEA3 and LAEA4. For e-mount I'll take the 35/f2.8, 55/F1.8, the upcoming 35/F1.4 and 28/F2, and the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 zooms and both of the Loxia primes. I'll say the Mitakon 50/f0.95 and the CV 12mm/f5.6. I'll take a big bag for everything and a smaller sling for day trips. I'll pack a big tripod and head for landscape stuff but I'll also take a trigger collapsible monopod with a trigger operated ball head for a lighter support system. And even though I lived the first 30 years of my life in NYC, if someone was going to pick up the tab, I'd spend two weeks of the trip in a luxury hotel off Central Park and stroll around Manhattan in the early summer. Between cityscapes and people there are about a thousand pictures I've always wished I had the time to take there but never have.

Regards,
John

engel001

Sony A7R with native 55mm and 35mm
Metabones IV with Canon EOS 16-35mm/f4L (ultra wide angle I like to work slowly and the precision of the EVF is a great tool for manual focusing).
Perhaps an additional high-performance prime such as Sigma Art 35mm for EOS (or Sony with LAEA3) and/or a favorite Zeiss ZE lens.

Second body: Sony A99 with Zeiss 85mm and Minolta 200mm/2.8.

Tripod: Benro C1182TB0 Travel Flat II.
Manfrotto 709 Tabletop Tripod with Ballhead.

77mm Hoya Pro2 Polarizer

Last edited:

danlindberg

Love these games :)

IRL I would go Alpa TC + SK72L + Credo 60 and be happy, but since this is a Sony game I'll play....

A7r + Canon FDn 35/2 + FDn 85/1.2L + Gitzo 2 series + Novoflex mini magic ball

Eoin

For me, A7II with 5 lenses FE55, C/Y 18 f4, 28 f2, 85 f2.8, 100 f2. A single Novoflex C/Y-Nex adapter, RRS L Plate, Gitzo 2531 & RRS 30BH. My daily carry bag would be a Black Billingham Hadley Pro.

Guy Mancuso

I would take the A7r or its replacement. Probably take a A7000 when it comes out. This gives me a backup and a small cam for like dinner or night time fun.

16-35, Zeiss loxia 35 mm or the new Zeiss 35 1.4 still need to get one of them. My Minolta 200 2.8 which I can always leave in a hotel room if need be to be light weight small for a day. The 85 1.4 and I would also take my Canon 24TSe with 1.4 extender which could be like the Minolta 200 and be left behind if need be. Mitikon 50 as well.

Travel pod I need to buy one and I do like my Think tank streetwalker for transport reasons and a think tank sling bag for daily. It also packs flat

Paratom

A7II (or A7rII if available), 16-35 (even though I dont see the need for it at the moment) 24-70, 70200/4.0FE, 35Loxia, 55/1.8

V

Vivek

Highly Opinionated Opinion:lecture:

After handling the A7s, to me the A7r and the A7 are absolute crap. It is a shame that Sony uses its customers as beta testers for its "alpha" products.

Guy Mancuso

A7II (or A7rII if available), 16-35 (even though I dont see the need for it at the moment) 24-70, 70200/4.0FE, 35Loxia, 55/1.8
Tom I absolutely love the A7II it hits all the check marks I need except one more MPX. I wish Sony would just drop in the 36mpx sensor in it and call it a day.