The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone else seeing these issues on the A7II?

mathomas

I have a few annoying issues. Wondering if anyone else has seen them. I believe I'm on the latest firmware.

First, sometimes my camera declines to show me the menu system when I hit the MENU button. I can punch away, and no menu is displayed. Turn it off and back on, and generally the menu starts displaying.

Second, and still menu system related: sometimes my camera decides I don't need to see the menu system any more. It just returns me to normal shooting mode as I navigate the menus. Sometimes it does it immediately, and other times it waits until I've just about found that 436th menu item I was hunting for.

Third, and this just seemed to start today, sometimes when I'm in focus magnification, a half-press of the shutter doesn't return me to 1x magnification. It happened a number of times today. The only way to get back to 1x was to either shoot, or hit C1 (my button of choice for this feature) again.

Note that I've pretty much stuck to shooting Leica R lenses on a Metabones adapter since buying the camera, so I'm not doing a lot of switching between system lenses and non-system lenses. Loving the photos. Not sure yet whether I love the camera. It's very sassy, unlike my A900.

Annna T

I have a few annoying issues. Wondering if anyone else has seen them. I believe I'm on the latest firmware.

First, sometimes my camera declines to show me the menu system when I hit the MENU button. I can punch away, and no menu is displayed. Turn it off and back on, and generally the menu starts displaying.

Second, and still menu system related: sometimes my camera decides I don't need to see the menu system any more. It just returns me to normal shooting mode as I navigate the menus. Sometimes it does it immediately, and other times it waits until I've just about found that 436th menu item I was hunting for.

Third, and this just seemed to start today, sometimes when I'm in focus magnification, a half-press of the shutter doesn't return me to 1x magnification. It happened a number of times today. The only way to get back to 1x was to either shoot, or hit C1 (my button of choice for this feature) again.

Note that I've pretty much stuck to shooting Leica R lenses on a Metabones adapter since buying the camera, so I'm not doing a lot of switching between system lenses and non-system lenses. Loving the photos. Not sure yet whether I love the camera. It's very sassy, unlike my A900.
Concerning the first issue : check that your fingers weren't too near of the EVF : it may just be that the sensor think you want to look through the VF and switch from the LCD to the EVF.

mathomas

Concerning the first issue : check that your fingers weren't too near of the EVF : it may just be that the sensor think you want to look through the VF and switch from the LCD to the EVF.
For a minute there I thought you were onto something. But I just tested it, and if the camera switches from LCD to EVF the LCD goes completely blank. Then, when I give it enough light to switch back, it returns to the LCD with the menu displayed.

The problem I'm seeing is not that the LCD goes blank -- it's that the menu system goes away as if I'd hit MENU again (which I have not). Or, the camera refuses to display the menu when I do hit MENU.

Thanks...

mbroomfield

Take off the metabones, put on the body cap and see if you get similar issues (menu navigation etc). I've had some problems with erratic performance when using a smart adapter with a dumb lens (on my A7r) and I think it may have something to do with the contacts. If it "fixes" it you can tape the contacts and verify again, then buy a dumb adapter.

mathomas

Thanks guys. I guess I never considered the Metabones R adapter to be "smart" (I also just snapped it on the camera without even looking at it). I'll have a deeper look today.

V

Vivek

Thanks guys. I guess I never considered the Metabones R adapter to be "smart" (I also just snapped it on the camera without even looking at it). I'll have a deeper look today.
You are right, it is a dumb adapter. AFAIK, only the FE to EOS has a chip and can be updated.

mbroomfield

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant a smart EF to Nex adapter with for example a Leica R to EF adapter on the lens. This is the way I use them when I'm not using Canon lenses, and it's these adapters (although not the Metabones so far) that has messed up my A7r. If your Metabones is the simple dumb R to Sony E adapter then I doubt it's the problem, although worth trying I suppose in case it's touching the camera contacts.

mathomas

Yeah, the Metabones is pretty dumb. Just a piece of metal with a mount on either side. I could swear I was having this trouble occasionally even with the 35mm FE mounted, so perhaps I should shoot that lens some more and find out.

I'm kind of leaning toward an issue with a microswitch somewhere in the controls of the camera getting stuck, or misfiring, and causing the menu to either not appear or to be cancelled. I just wish it was more consistent so I could take it to the shop and demonstrate it.

Thanks again, all.

mathomas

OK, I had a YouTube subscriber tell me what the issue is with the disappearing menu:

If you have a battery/vertical grip, as I do, the meat of your hand can easily accidentally hit the secondary shutter button. That cancels the menu and/or keeps it from appearing in the first place. You don't even feel it happen, but it does.