The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7R "Walk around lens" suggestions

gurtch

I have an A7R and 35mm Zeiss f2.8 FE, the 55mm f1.8 Zeiss FE, and 16-35 Zeiss FE. I also have an LAE-4 adapter, so I can use A mount lenses. I also have a Nikon D800E outfit, and my favorite all time "walk around" lens for it is a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC lens. It is perfect for the type of work I do (seascapes). I have wider and longer lenses for the Nikon, but when I want to go out and walk around and carry only one lens, it is always the 24-70. Oh, on occasion, I might put something wider in my pocket, but usually when I use the Nikon, I carry the 24-70. It is very sharp and has VC for hand holding.
My question: A suggestion for a comparable A7R "walk around lens". I love the 16-35 FE, which I intend to put in my pocket, but the 24-70 (or 24- 80mm would be nice) is my go to lens. Any suggestions? I can use A mount with the LAE-4 adapter. I do have a Zeiss f2.8 24-70 A mount, but that lens is WAY too heavy and bulky for the small A7R, especially with the adapter on it.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Dave in NJ

gurtch

Thanks Mike. The reviews I have read were very unfavorable for that lens, especially given it's price point.
Dave

dandrewk

Thanks Mike. The reviews I have read were very unfavorable for that lens, especially given it's price point.
Dave
No, not all reviews of the lens are unfavorable, and the price is in line with similar zooms from other manufacturers.

Sometimes rumors and a few negative experiences get repeated so often they seem universal. No doubt this lens may have had deficient "samples" earlier on, but from what I've gathered newer production is much more consistent.

Like everything, the folks that are unhappy are much more likely to post than those who are happy. I count myself among those who are happy with this lens.

My advice - get the FE24-70 and try it out. See how it compares with the Tamron in terms of image quality and feel. For what you are seeking, it's the obvious solution, and you can alway return it if you don't feel it meets your needs.

gurtch

Thank you Dandrewk. I may just do that. The optical stabilization, and focal length is what I am looking for. Your personal experience is very valuable to me.
Dave

mathomas

Dave
Ahh. OK. I haven't researched it at all, but I'd seen it here and there. Good luck in your search.

iiiNelson

Ideally I'd say give the Sigma 24-105 a try if you could find one or have it converted to A-mount. There's a rumor floating around that the A99 replacement will be launched with an accompanying 24-105-120 as well.

I owned the 24-70FE... I hated it personally for the asking price whether it's in line with the competition or not. I don't see a $700 (or $900 if you buy the kit lens in the camera bundle) difference between what the lens can do compared to the kit lens. Some love it. For me I prefer primes in the mid range and I limit zooms to the extreme ends. An ideal native FE kit for me would be the 16-35, 55, and 70-200... I'll be interested to see how the 28 will pair up with the 55 FE.

If you are more of a 35mm or 50mm person and don't mind MF then maybe look at the Loxia's for a one lens walk around kit. Between the two I would tend to lean 50mm on the FE cameras but 35mm on a rangefinder.

D

Deleted member 7792

My advice - get the FE24-70 and try it out. See how it compares with the Tamron in terms of image quality and feel. For what you are seeking, it's the obvious solution, and you can alway return it if you don't feel it meets your needs.
I agree. I have the FE 24-70mm and love it with the a7R. I'll speak up as one of the satisfied users. YMMV.

Joe

jonoslack

Here's another; I like the 24-70 - of course, zooms always represent some compromises - but this is a good lens in my opinion

gurtch

I would really love to see some of the top independents (Sigma, Tamron, etc) make lenses in native FE mount.
Dave

dandrewk

I owned the 24-70FE... I hated it personally for the asking price whether it's in line with the competition or not. I don't see a $700 (or $900 if you buy the kit lens in the camera bundle) difference between what the lens can do compared to the kit lens. Some love it. For me I prefer primes in the mid range and I limit zooms to the extreme ends. An ideal native FE kit for me would be the 16-35, 55, and 70-200... I'll be interested to see how the 28 will pair up with the 55 FE.
That's good advice, and I agree that lens combination is ideal. I should know, as I have those lenses. :)

However, in my case (as well as the OP's) it is unworkable as a "walk around" set up. Believe me, shlepping around Disneyland (or any excursion that requires a lot of walking) is hard enough without several pounds of a large camera bag. Besides the weight, sometimes it's near impossible to do lens switches on the fly. Better to have the correct focal length already attached.

So, the mid range zooms are a must. I always have the 24-70, and (depending on the situation) I'll also carry the FE55 (for speed) -or- the FE16-35 (for ultra wide needs). The kit easily fits into a small Tamrac Velocity 5 bag.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Option 2 and I do this a lot on jobs A7r 16-35 than when longer need flip crop mode on. Add 55 in a pocket with crop mode on makes a nice tele . So you get 16-35 native , 55 in native and also crop for a tele. Or just use 16-35 and throw in crop for 50

V

Vivek

Option 2 and I do this a lot on jobs A7r 16-35 than when longer need flip crop mode on. Add 55 in a pocket with crop mode on makes a nice tele . So you get 16-35 native , 55 in native and also crop for a tele. Or just use 16-35 and throw in crop for 50
Sound suggestion. :thumbup:

"Walk around with what you have by cropping around". :ROTFL:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It works....

FE 16-35/4 as a 16mm lens:

And as a 135mm lens:

:ROTFL:

Matt (and that's a crop from the 16mm end; if I'd actually changed the FL, it would have twice the reach/resolution!)

timparkin

I have an A7R and 35mm Zeiss f2.8 FE, the 55mm f1.8 Zeiss FE, and 16-35 Zeiss FE. I also have an LAE-4 adapter, so I can use A mount lenses. I also have a Nikon D800E outfit, and my favorite all time "walk around" lens for it is a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC lens. It is perfect for the type of work I do (seascapes). I have wider and longer lenses for the Nikon, but when I want to go out and walk around and carry only one lens, it is always the 24-70. Oh, on occasion, I might put something wider in my pocket, but usually when I use the Nikon, I carry the 24-70. It is very sharp and has VC for hand holding.
My question: A suggestion for a comparable A7R "walk around lens". I love the 16-35 FE, which I intend to put in my pocket, but the 24-70 (or 24- 80mm would be nice) is my go to lens. Any suggestions? I can use A mount with the LAE-4 adapter. I do have a Zeiss f2.8 24-70 A mount, but that lens is WAY too heavy and bulky for the small A7R, especially with the adapter on it.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Dave in NJ
I bought a Canon 24-70 f/4 IS - very, very sharp into the corners but doesn't have very good auto focus. IS is excellent as well though (via a metabones adapter)

Slingers

I have the Sony 28-75/2.8 and use it with a LAEA4. I'm quite happy with it on the A7S but it feels like quite a big combination on the NEX-7.

EDIT: I'm assuming you have the almost 1kg Sony 24-70/2.8 and not the 500g 28-75/2.8.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Now that I've seen more pictures with it the 24-240 may not be THAT bad for a walk around 1 lens outfit.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The relative dearth of good, usable integrated Sony glass for the diminutive body is certainly one of this cameras significant shortcomings. It's why I remain primarily a Nikon shooter and use the A7r as an "adaptable sensor" platform.

But that said, it is a freaking blast to shoot a digital Holga walk-around/street cam: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/52982-25mm-e-mount-lens-$15-its-holga.html

Or as a Soneica with MitaLux walk-around/street cam: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/52962-no-love-mitakon-50-f0-95-a.html

I also hold high hopes for the new 28 -- it looks like the answer for a small walk-around/street autofocus optic.