The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any E-Mount camera that does not suffer from 11+7 bit raw compression??

joelorbita

Does anybody know if there is a Sony E-Mount camera that does not suffer from its notorious 11+7 bit raw compression?

Is it only the Sony A7 and A7R that suffer from this issue?

I currently have a Sony A7R and have noticed it in some of my shots. I am noticing it mainly in night time shots where there is banding in in the sky..

I did notice that Ming Thein highlighted this in an article when reviewing the Sony A7II

Review: The Sony A7 Mark II; nearly there

I plan on getting the Fotodiox Rhinocam for Sony E-Mount and that is the reason why it needs to be a Sony E-Mount as opposed to another brand of digital camera...

I have never noticed this compression in daytime shots but I have seen it as being an issue in night shots of which I do quite a bit of..

Hopefully the Sony A9 equivalent will solve this compression issue :)

Thanks so much in advance! Look forward to your thoughts..

ggibson

DPReview just published their review of the A7S and called Sony out for their lossy compression in RAWs (pg 13). I can't recall seeing anything about the APS-C cameras doing this, but it seems that all of the FE cameras do.

Honestly, I've never noticed it causing an issue in my own shots (A7 here), but I don't pixel-peep much either.