The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 camera lens choices

Eoin

I think for us like minded "small is beautiful" club, Zeiss and the Loxia line of lenses (present & future) are perhaps the only game in town.

Now Zeiss, just give me an 18mm and a 100mm, I can live with the FE35 & FE55 ... game over!.

iiiNelson

NEX users seem very happy with the Sigma E-mount primes. Small, affordable and, by all accounts, decent quality. Maybe Sigma might choose to replicate that success for FE mount?
Yeah the E-Mont lenses are apart of the Art series. They are relatively small compared to the FE lenses but they are all f/2.8 lenses as well.

ggibson

It seems likely they'd have to stick with f2+ for anything as small as their e-mount series. I'm OK with that, since Sony seems to be taking the opposite approach with the new 35/1.4 and 90/2.8. A range of options in size and speed would be nice.

I do wonder what they're plan is to develop FE lenses though. Sigma is a small company, so in the past they've shared lens development resources with multiple product lines. It's pretty clear that the 19 and 30 were originally created for their DP1 and DP2 cameras and added to the NEX and m4/3 lines later. But developing an FE mount would not fit with any of Sigma's existing cameras. Maybe they'll use a focal length that would be desirable on both 1.5x crop and full frame (and even 2x crop?). Maybe 24mm f2.

On another note, DPReview released their Zeiss 35/1.4 samples and they look pretty nice.

iiiNelson

Yeah the good thing is that Sigma has a few different lines so they can scale on features, optical quality, and price. I actually wouldn't mind a walk around lens in the 24-85 to 120mm range. It can even be a f/3.5-4.5 to keep a reasonable size. Other than that primes in the 18-25/2-4 range, 85/1.4-2 or 100/2-2.5 prime would be nice as well.

I don't quite need as much range as the 24-240 but it does seem like a decent Superzoom.