The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

jstaben

Still think Sony missed the boat here. Wish the size wasn't so huge. If you want small have to go MF. And no, the AF shouldn't be the reason it's so huge.

iiiNelson

There's still the small 35/2.8 option if you want small with AF. I don't think there is a small and fast FF AF lens with premium optics on any platform.

dandrewk

Still think Sony missed the boat here. Wish the size wasn't so huge. If you want small have to go MF. And no, the AF shouldn't be the reason it's so huge.
Of course that's the reason. The motors that turn those large, heavy (and fast!) lens elements are not microscopic, nor are the IS motors.

philip_pj

It's big due to all the elements used for high levels of optical correction - 12 in 8 groups all up; plus the thing I expect to really surprise, Sony's new DD (direct drive) SSM AF activation. This system is designed to move large elements and groups around fast and accurately, it is reportedly 'whisper quiet'.

Photos make it look larger too, and remember to add the bulk/weight of any adapter to compare. Users are still reporting the ZM 35/1.4 goes better on Leica M240 than a skimmed a7II, so all the other fast 35s are large and heavy, and won't be a 'system fit'.

On the new FE90, it also shares the DD SSM, and how about this for dedication by Sony:

"Each (FE90) lens is individually tested and calibrated to minimise spherical aberration so that the smoothest, most visually pleasing bokeh is achieved."

That one is corrected the old fashioned way too, 15 elements in 11 groups and only one asph element. It uses the DD SSM to move two groups around and this:

'A floating focus mechanism ensures that consistently superior optical performance is achieved at all focusing distances.' So wisely they are after the general photography use case also with this 'almost macro' - it's only 0.92:1, to some people's chagrin. Funny, as CZ's 100MP and Leica's 100/2.8 APO are both 2:1 lenses. I want to see images from it - now! Plus an advance copy for me!

uhoh7

The 28 f2 represents a wide that is faster by 2 stops for maybe some low light stuff. My bet believe it or not the 16-35 at 28 maybe slighter better IQ wise but 2 stops slower and that for the cost maybe a nice option and a travel lens since it light.

Shoe maybe just buy all there if them . Lol
I fear you may be right, but it will be a crying shame if they can't get their 28 prime to beat the zoom at f/4 or f/8.

But I think back to the 24/1.8 which was really nice close in but only soso in long landscapes. I'd at least like to set the standard set by the FE 35/2.8 met at 5.6.

But I don't think it will happen.

A good 28/2 is an incredibly versatile tool. The 28 cron is one of the last lenses I'd sell in my M kit. In fact it's the last. F/2 let's you do more than just low light.

L1000530 by unoh7, f/2

And, as you know, the 28 FOV is delicious in landscape:

L1019741-2 by unoh7, f/11

turtle

I'm still waiting for Sony to wake up to the need to produce optically stellar compact and slow lenses for landscape shooters. They will be able to provide excellent performance for a lower price and ensure that the small size of the A7 etc is sustained via appropriate lens options. All I am seeing is increasingly large lenses, or in the case of the 28mm f2, one that may not quite convince.

Personally, I would like to see Sony take the approach of Leica (and Canon with the new 11-24mm f4) and produce f4 (ish) lenses (primes in this case).

18mm and 24mm would be the 'must haves', or 16, 21,28.

iiiNelson

I'm still waiting for Sony to wake up to the need to produce optically stellar compact and slow lenses for landscape shooters. They will be able to provide excellent performance for a lower price and ensure that the small size of the A7 etc is sustained via appropriate lens options. All I am seeing is increasingly large lenses, or in the case of the 28mm f2, one that may not quite convince.

Personally, I would like to see Sony take the approach of Leica (and Canon with the new 11-24mm f4) and produce f4 (ish) lenses (primes in this case).

I hope they make those lenses too for those that want small and slow.

If you look at Leica for instance it's not the smaller, less expensive, and in many cases optically superior glass that's selling as quickly. It's the faster, larger, and in many cases heavily software corrected lenses that move first. As for Canon the excellent slow glass that they're making is still in their L series and it's not cheap. The 11-24/4 is going for $3K. People were complaining about the 35/2.8 being $800 and the 55/1.8 being $1K based on specs alone - versus sheer optical performance.

I am of course happy with the new lenses announced due to the fact that I can always stop down but I can't add more photons to the sensor into a smaller aperture. I agree with the poster that says the pictures can be a bit deceiving as far as size goes. People were screaming about how large the 55FE was before launch and I posted a comparison on here in December of 2013 showing that it was almost exactly the same size asa 50 Lux FLE with a M-mount adapter on it. If it's indeed a similar size as the 16-35 then it won't be ungodly large but rather about the size of the Sigma 35 Art without a LA-E4 on it.

Tim

THANK YOU, for having the courage to say this.
I feel the same. For someone carrying either backpack or belt packing a small system with or without a tripod size does matter.

What say..
28mm f2.8, 21mm f3.5 or f4, 18mm f4
The key point is excellent performance.

The Olympus Zuikos of 1970-1990s were in two series.
The larger heavier f2 series from 21mm f2 though to 250mm f2.
And the smaller, cheaper 49mm filter sized lenses of lesser aperture from 21mm to 100mm.
I am convinced Olympus sold lots more of the compact sereies

V

Vivek

Apparently, the 35/2.8 was made by Tamron for Sony and they slapped the Zeiss tag on it to make it look good. I think less and less of this "Zeiss". They do not seem to make any lenses anymore just rent out their name for lenses made by others.

turtle

I can see why people are excited by the new, fast lenses and am not suggesting that Sony should not be producing them, only that there should be a parallel 'slow' line.

I think Sony is missing an opportunity here and think the Leica M market (and buyer) is very different. Some Leica users want 'the best' (i.e. the most expensive) and some want what's fast, so that they can shoot in very low light etc. I am not suggesting a parallel to the Summarit concept (which some passed over as 'not real Leica), as this covers focal lengths we already have covered either with native or third party lenses, but the wides. Leica has done very well with their numerous f2.8 to 3.8 primes (18, 21, 24, 28) not to mention the WATE. These lenses have sold in vastly larger numbers than their much more expensive fast cousins (i.e. 21 & 24mm Summilluxes).

I'm a fan of the 35mm FE Sonnar no matter who made it! To me, it is the lens most in keeping with what I understood the original concept to be. The 55 FE is also great, but at the upper limit of 'ideal' size for primes IMO. Can't argue with the performance... wow, but as I found out, the Canon FDn 50mm f1.4 is not far behind at all.

V

Vivek

Leica are, niche or not, the only innovative company when it comes to quality optics that are not of the size of a truck. If Sony follows the Otii crap, it is bad news.

Anyway, regardless of the opinions expressed, it is the market that will determine this path. If not many buy these monstrosities that will teach them. If they become a hit, they will continue making more of them.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I don't disagree with having small and light weight glass. The issue is folks think just because Sony went Mirrorless that lenses should be smaller. Well I never read a piece of marketing that said Sony was making smaller lenses to match there bodies. We are assuming they should because the bodies are smaller. Also Leica charges a lot of money for there glass a lot of money. Why do we assume Sony should do it for a lot less. That really is not Sonys market to compete with Leica . Now it would be nice and not here but Sony is being raked over the coals for this on other fora. I don't get that part at all. Even Leicas 18mm is in the thousands of dollars. Do we really think Sony can sell. 18mm for 3 thousand dollars. Sorry folks not a chance. They simple don't have Leicas reputation as a optical company.

Guy Mancuso

The other really big issue is Sony is making AF lenses that's a whole different animal when comes to design

Guy Mancuso

Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ?7S

What is point if it is palm sized or thumbnail sized when one has to use a truck sized lens on it? :D
Have not read it yet as Im getting ready for a gig but all that size stuff was directed at there bodies pretty much. I could be wrong as I read very little when it comes to marketing crap but you get the point , AF is involved and that means motors and such

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Guy, You are right, they never said the lenses being small. Only promote "Palm sized" cameras. :)

rayyan

Also Leica charges a lot of money for there glass a lot of money. Why do we assume Sony should do it for a lot less. ....

Because Guy, my M system is a mirrorless system, relatively small, with superb Leica M glass and small size

Therein lies the beauty of Leica M glass. Charging a lot of money for large sized glass is so passé. Anyone can do this, at a cheaper price.

Guy Mancuso

But are there any AF lenses in the M glass. No and thats a very big part of the design with regards to size and weight. Seriously 1600 for a 35mm 1.4 compared to a Leica 35mm 1.4 is dirt cheap and very competitive with Nikon at 1679 and Canon 1489. Thats Sonys market to work in.

iiiNelson

I can see why people are excited by the new, fast lenses and am not suggesting that Sony should not be producing them, only that there should be a parallel 'slow' line.

I think Sony is missing an opportunity here and think the Leica M market (and buyer) is very different. Some Leica users want 'the best' (i.e. the most expensive) and some want what's fast, so that they can shoot in very low light etc. I am not suggesting a parallel to the Summarit concept (which some passed over as 'not real Leica), as this covers focal lengths we already have covered either with native or third party lenses, but the wides. Leica has done very well with their numerous f2.8 to 3.8 primes (18, 21, 24, 28) not to mention the WATE. These lenses have sold in vastly larger numbers than their much more expensive fast cousins (i.e. 21 & 24mm Summilluxes).

I'm a fan of the 35mm FE Sonnar no matter who made it! To me, it is the lens most in keeping with what I understood the original concept to be. The 55 FE is also great, but at the upper limit of 'ideal' size for primes IMO. Can't argue with the performance... wow, but as I found out, the Canon FDn 50mm f1.4 is not far behind at all.
That's not entirely true. People bemoaned the introduction of the 24 Elmar (which I owned) and continued to seek out the remaining stock of 24 Elmarit's for a few years after they stopped production of that lens. It really wasn't until the only option was to pay $6500 (then) for a 21/24 Lux, continue to try to find a decently priced Elmarit which were going for around $4k+ then, or pay $2300 (then) for a 24 Elmar that people started to pay attention to the Elmar. If you go back and read a lot of the chatter on that other Leica forum from about 6 or 7 years ago when the Elmar was introduced you can see how people REALLY felt about it. A new M kit with the newer/more popular Leica glass approaches/exceeds medium format entry prices.

Critics were wrong and the Elmar was truly an amazing lens. I don't think people realized how amazing it was until the Monochrom was released. Part of the problem with the Leica comparisons are that they're all MF and it's not cheap by any means. I mean look at the people crying about the costs of the Loxia's (which are also pretty small and MF.) Or people that compared the 55FE to the $100 Canon lenses. That's Sony's market more so than Leica. I think people are demanding that Sony be all things to all people overnight.

Again I hope they make smaller lenses for that crowd as well but I think many people haven't been impressed by anything short of the 55FE, the 16-35FE, and the 70-200FE which of course all came before the Loxia's that are starting to trickle out now.