The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

uhoh7

You post some very nice sample images, Charles :)

It looks like a very good 35 :) Are any of your samples on the A7r.mod?

CharlesK

You post some very nice sample images, Charles :)

It looks like a very good 35 :) Are any of your samples on the A7r.mod?
Thank you everyone for the kind words and likes :)
Charlie, I have also tried the FE 35/1.4 on the A7rM and the detail is even better IMO. I have no samples yet to post, but I will soon :)

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the advice, Georg.

Yeah - I do. And I probably will. After all, what does "need" have to do with "want"?
:) yet, you still prefer shooting MF? I think the scissors closed considerably more over the past few years. Not much in terms of innovation coming from the ususal suspects, quite the contrary. File quality still is a different ball game, but not as huge a difference as it was 10 years ago. A lot has happened since the Alpha 900 hit the market. Wasn't it the same "famous" year, Lehman brothers et al.? ;)

I always wondered Bill, with your type of shooting and well, your excellent eye and execution, how comes that you do not have a Canon 24 TSE II in your bag?

uhoh7

Thank you everyone for the kind words and likes :)
Charlie, I have also tried the FE 35/1.4 on the A7rM and the detail is even better IMO. I have no samples yet to post, but I will soon :)
i would love to see some side by side shots from the FE 34/1.4 on A7r.mod and the new ZM 35/1.4 on both the mod and a M body. As you know, Edward has posted knockout samples from the ZM on M240.

It has a "big" rep, but not compared to the ZA! :)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

:) yet, you still prefer shooting MF? I think the scissors closed considerably more over the past few years. Not much in terms of innovation coming from the ususal suspects, quite the contrary. File quality still is a different ball game, but not as huge a difference as it was 10 years ago. A lot has happened since the Alpha 900 hit the market. Wasn't it the same "famous" year, Lehman brothers et al.? ;)

I always wondered Bill, with your type of shooting and well, your excellent eye and execution, how comes that you do not have a Canon 24 TSE II in your bag?
Very kind of you, Georg!

I guess most of my landscape work is MF, where I have a Hartblei 45 mm Super Rotator. I find it much easier to get proper focus on a big MF screen than on a little Sony screen! (I like to use tilt a lot, shift only for panos.) And I can use the Hartblei on the Sony - I have the adapter - but of course 45 mm isn't then a WA lens!

You're right that the gap between MF and, say, the a7r has narrowed dramatically and the tests I've done indicate that the FE 55 up against my Phase LS 80mm is pretty equal up to a 24 inch print, maybe even 30 inches. But after that, there is no contest - a good big'un is still better than a good little'n!

The other factor is shooting style. I really enjoy shooting landscapes in a contemplative manner with a heavy tripod and MF gear. When I shoot with Sony it tends to be hand held - necessary for wildlife, but otherwise rather encouraging me to shoot machine-gun style!

Or maybe I'm just an old fart who's living in the past - but selling 48 inch prints!

CharlesK

i would love to see some side by side shots from the FE 34/1.4 on A7r.mod and the new ZM 35/1.4 on both the mod and a M body. As you know, Edward has posted knockout samples from the ZM on M240.

It has a "big" rep, but not compared to the ZA! :)
Hi Charlie. I think we are coming to point where side by side comparisons are not as relevant now. The FE 35/1.4 is an amazing lens. It is very different to the ZM 35/1.4 on the M240/M9 and A7rM and allows us to choose which rendering and look we prefer.

For portraits/street shooting I prefer the look and rendering with the FE 35/1.4, but for landscapes I would use the Loxia's instead, of course that is on a A7 series body.

Also with A7rII about to be released, I feel the Loxia 35/50 with FE 35/1.4 will be a great combination, and future proofs the lenses.

I did consider the ZM 35/1.4, and although it is excellent on the A7rM, I prefer having the FE 35/1.4 as it integrates with the A7s/A7II and A7rM. Some initial shots with A7s and FE35/1.4 are really smooth and quite different to what I am seeing from the A7II/A7rM. The other great feature is being able to AF in virtual total darkness:)

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Awwww, the Super Rotator, well, that is fantastic of course! +1 on prints bigger than 30 inch. A 50MP possibly in the pipeline would help of course.

Guess photographers never had it any better, so many choices and truly excellent tools, some at even unbeliveable low prices, like the A6000.

About living in the past, you know, when I look at the present, it doesn't strike me as such a bad idea, living in the past.... ;)

Very kind of you, Georg!

I guess most of my landscape work is MF, where I have a Hartblei 45 mm Super Rotator. I find it much easier to get proper focus on a big MF screen than on a little Sony screen! (I like to use tilt a lot, shift only for panos.) And I can use the Hartblei on the Sony - I have the adapter - but of course 45 mm isn't then a WA lens!

You're right that the gap between MF and, say, the a7r has narrowed dramatically and the tests I've done indicate that the FE 55 up against my Phase LS 80mm is pretty equal up to a 24 inch print, maybe even 30 inches. But after that, there is no contest - a good big'un is still better than a good little'n!

The other factor is shooting style. I really enjoy shooting landscapes in a contemplative manner with a heavy tripod and MF gear. When I shoot with Sony it tends to be hand held - necessary for wildlife, but otherwise rather encouraging me to shoot machine-gun style!

Or maybe I'm just an old fart who's living in the past - but selling 48 inch prints!

iiiNelson

I have a couple of trips in the next few weeks so I should be able to get a great feel for what it can do soon. The fiancé surprised me and preordered both The 25 and 85 Batis for me for my birthday/our anniversary gift. Completely surprised me with that one.

iiiNelson

Maybe but I will say that with regards to the overall look that this lens is a step better than them all so far IMO. I can't quantify it numerically but there's a special character to this lens. This lens is quite a bit different than anything else in the FE mount save for maybe the 55FE and it's not too far behind the A-mount 135/1.8 in "magic pixie dust."

No it's not quite as nice as the 135mm A-mount lens (well I don't think so yet) but it's the second "special" FE lens that I've used so far in addition to the 55FE. Everything else has been mostly just serviceable based on need and utilitarian IMO. This lens, the 55FE, and probably the Batis line are going to be the native lenses that are going to be the reasons why you buy into the FE system.

V

Vivek

The 1.4 DXO test is getting a lot of critism from the less educated on look.
Zeiss promoted lenses based on MTF and quantifiable/measurable factors. Those who did not care much about the MTF characteristics (the digital and the filter stack played a major role in this) were stared down as "uneducated".

Now, even Zeiss are shying away from their MTF charts and are trying to "explain" (again) what constitutes a "perfect" lens.

This is getting very interesting. :watch:

V

Vivek

May be it is time Zeiss, DOX , etc come up with a "magic factor"? :ROTFL: