The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

iiiNelson

Does this lens work OK with extension tubes without vignetting?
I can check this week when I get free from work to shoot. I'd imagine that there would be some wide open because there is vignetting wide open. I'd get that somewhere between f/2.8-4 it shouldn't be a problem but I can confirm this weekend maybe.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to say every time I look at that car posted . It's just jumping off the screen. Any device too phone, iPad etc

Pretty dang impressive look

V

Vivek

I can check this week when I get free from work to shoot. I'd imagine that there would be some wide open because there is vignetting wide open. I'd get that somewhere between f/2.8-4 it shouldn't be a problem but I can confirm this weekend maybe.
Thanks, Tre. :)

The FE 28/2 works fine without issues.

V

Vivek

Have to say every time I look at that car posted . It's just jumping off the screen. Any device too phone, iPad etc

Pretty dang impressive look
It does! That plus your over the moon recommendation is very troubling for my finances. :(

Guy Mancuso

As it should be. LOL

You of all people a street shooter needs this lens.

Just use a alternate hood. That hood supplied would scare a Bengal Tiger.

iiiNelson

The takeaway from the rave impressions from most owners is that it's not as heavy as it looks but for someone size conscious the argument could be made that the 55FE (or 50 Loxia) might be a better two lens pair with your 28FE if the intent is walk around street photography. Most of my time in Seattle I ONLY took the 35FE Distagon on either my A7 or A7R with a color checker passport and extra battery. I had my 55FE and my 135ZA with me as well but it was only used a few times to be honest.

Makes me more excited for the Batis 25 and 85 to be honest because I can have 2-4 primes that's cover 90% of what I shoot natively and with uncompromising IQ.

V

Vivek

Most of the time, I carry more than I use. There is always a back up body, for example.

Guy Mancuso

The takeaway from the rave impressions from most owners is that it's not as heavy as it looks but for someone size conscious the argument could be made that the 55FE (or 50 Loxia) might be a better two lens pair with your 28FE if the intent is walk around street photography. Most of my time in Seattle I ONLY took the 35FE Distagon on either my A7 or A7R with a color checker passport and extra battery. I had my 55FE and my 135ZA with me as well but it was only used a few times to be honest.

Makes me more excited for the Batis 25 and 85 to be honest because I can have 2-4 primes that's cover 90% of what I shoot natively and with uncompromising IQ.
This is a good point. I don't mind having the one heavier bigger lens but having 3 or 4 than it gets to be a burden. Always think carrying a system not a lens. My thoughts are and I agree with Tre it really is not the weight of this lens which is really not heavy but bulky yes sort of for this system at least. But here is my plan. I figure with a lens like this than the two Batis 25 and 85 which are not that big nor that heavy you can have a nice balance of weight and size in your bag. Its all about the bag to be honest. Your going to be far more fatigued when it comes to the bag and not a lens on you all day. My ultimate system would be a Loxia 18mm, Batis 25, Loxia 50 or the 55mm 1.8, 85 1.8 and my 200mm Minolta at least till something in FE comes out for that length. Thats really a nice kit with nice weight and bulk not to burden me at all when hiking or carrying it around on a gig.

One key thing of this lens is the hood its stupid. Here is what I did you have a couple options. Take two 72mm empty filter rings and screw them on. Your not going to vignette and I have not used a front lens cap in 30 years. I never damaged the front glass. Two you can buy on eBay a metal 72mm screw in hood. I buy from these folks all the time. I have at least 30 hoods here in a box myself

You can buy this and add a 72mm empty filter ring to extend it until you get just before vignetting. Whats this all do, well first a metal hood will handle a drop far better but more important it cuts down that awful size hood that OEMS provide. The ONLY hood EVER in my Life that I used is the Loxia hoods. Now they are great hoods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Metal-W...071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee0a17c1f