The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I pre ordered it. Now to find the cash. Lol

35mm is my favorite focal body cap lens. Might sell my Mitikon for this

This lens looks stellar so far

iiiNelson

I pre ordered it. Now to find the cash. Lol

35mm is my favorite focal body cap lens. Might sell my Mitikon for this

This lens looks stellar so far
Yeah I'm preordering this as well. It's as I expected. The no nonsense FE lens for those that care most about optical quality and rendering first. I'm ordering an A77II with one of the wide range zooms for my fiancé and she can have the Sigma for a fast lens.

soboyle

Pre-ordered!
My favorite focal length, and it looks to be a beauty.
Guess the Fuji system is going...

iiiNelson

Yea this lens may just get rid of a few things. Lol
That's very true. I'm still debating if I want to do the 28+21mm converter or go with the 16-35. I'm leaning towards the zoom to keep the consistent Zeiss look that goes along with the 35/1.4, 55/1.8, and 135/1.8.

Guy Mancuso

I would do the zoom from 28 wider it's really good and seriously from 21 wider not sure anything can touch it

iiiNelson

Guy

How do you think this will measure up to the Sigma 35/1.4 Art?
Without having the 35 Distagon RAW available to me I'd say the Sigma 35 Art seems a tad bit sharper but the Zeiss seems to have a bit more character. I'd be happy to have either in the bag but I am going to shift towards the Zeiss (from the Sigma Art 35) for the sheer ability to AF across the whole frame.

Guy Mancuso

My other thinking is have at least 3 killer primes . Canon 24 TSE , this Zeiss , my 85 1.4 and my bonus is the Minolta 200. That's a nice set of primes and fill the bottom end with the 16-50

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Without having the 35 Distagon RAW available to me I'd say the Sigma 35 Art seems a tad bit sharper but the Zeiss seems to have a bit more character. I'd be happy to have either in the bag but I am going to shift towards the Zeiss (from the Sigma Art 35) for the sheer ability to AF across the whole frame.
Not to mention almost half the cost.

iiiNelson

Not to mention almost half the cost.
True but add the additional $350 if you don't own a LA-E4. That would then make it $350 difference in price. I think the ability to focus over just about the entire frame and have a consistent look is worth that much for a prospective new owner.

Don't get me wrong though I do love my Sigma Art 35. It's every bit as good if not better as the $3,000+ Leica glass optically albeit much larger. Anyone that tells you differently is just biased/delusional.

iiiNelson

My other thinking is have at least 3 killer primes . Canon 24 TSE , this Zeiss , my 85 1.4 and my bonus is the Minolta 200. That's a nice set of primes and fill the bottom end with the 16-50
Yeah I've been thinking of going 16-35, 35/1.4, 55, 90, and 70-200. The more I see the 28/2 the more I keep moving towards the "Add to cart" button.

Now the big question is if Sony will introduce a Zeiss 135FE (even at f/2.5 that would be really interesting and keep the size reasonable for many) because if so that would be about all I needed outside maybe another "Otus-lite" in 85/1.8. I'd like a fast native prime in the 18-21mm range as well eventually. At that point I could have a full FE system.

iiiNelson

One thing I noticed about the 35/1.4 is that like the 55FE it seems to actually be more impressive on the higher resolution bodies than the A7s whereas many other lenses tend to do better with the fat pixels. This is exactly what I was hoping for because I FS converted my A7R in anticipation for the rumored Sony high megapixel FE body.

Guy Mancuso

The 28 f2 represents a wide that is faster by 2 stops for maybe some low light stuff. My bet believe it or not the 16-35 at 28 maybe slighter better IQ wise but 2 stops slower and that for the cost maybe a nice option and a travel lens since it light.

Shoe maybe just buy all there if them . Lol

iiiNelson

Still have a wedding and other stuff to pay for... Been kinda pondering what could be sold though.