The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LEICA 90mm f/2.8 TELE-ELMARIT-M Sony A7

karlfoto

Hi Forum

I am investigating a lens for the 75-90mm range for my yet to be purchased sony a7ii.

I would be using the lens for backpacking in the high mountains, hence size and weight are important.

So far i have tested the 75mm Voigtlander 1.8 on a sony a7 against my 90mm Voigtlander ZE APO lanthar, and it is as good. So the 75mm voigt is an option.

Anyone have any idea how the LEICA 90mm f/2.8 TELE-ELMARIT-M would compare to the 75mm voigtlander? It is small and light weight, so ticks two boxes.

The last one is the Zeiss 85mm f/4 Tele-Tessar T* ZM.

So if you have tested these options, i would like to hear from you.

Thanks
Karl

cjl

Cannot comment on the tele-elmarit but the last model Elmarit f2.8 (a tad heavier but with the very convenient telescoping hood) is superb on the a7r and should be at least as good on the a7.

Shac

I found the thin T-E has perhaps one issue - flare, even with the metal hood. Otherwise stopped down, a sound performer.
I agree with cjl - the version 2 elmarit is superb on the A7s

mmbma

i am selling a 90mm tele elmarit on this forumn. let me know if you decided to go to that route.

I use it on my A7s. i love the compact factor and how sharp the glass is. Cannot compare to the voigtlander.

I bought it mainly because of size. Selling it because I just don't use 90mm enough. here's a photo with it

iiiNelson

I have the Leica 90 Cron Pre-AA and it may be the "perfect" portrait lens. If you want something a bit less expensive try to track down a Voigtlander 75/2.5 Color Heliar in LTM. I think it's a better lens (albeit a stop slower) than the 75/1.8 with a slightly more modern rendering as well.

karlfoto

Thanx for you thoughts on these options. I suppose it will boil down to a cost and size ratio as it appears that all 3 lenses are going to perform well.

I "accidentally" won a Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 lens on the bay and am loving it. I also picked up the Leica Macro-Adapter-M and am using the Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter.

So it is my walk around short tele / close-up lens. Pretty clever setup actually. When the lens isn't extended it is a normal 90mm. Extend the lens, and or the helicoils and it becomes a close focus macro-ish lens. And it's pretty small.

I combine this lens, the Sony 55mm 1.8 and soon the 35mm 2.8 with my A7II into a small go anywhere sling bag that I carry almost everywhere.

I'm starting to have two distinct kits. This one and my A7R tilt shift backpack.

Anyway, I'm starting to stray. Happy hunting.

Bill

Lawrence B

What about the contax g 90mm? I like mine except for the wonky adapter.
Another vote for the very affordable Carl Zeiss Contax G 90mm. It's a small lens so it balances well with the A7 series even with a Metabones adapter. I am using with the A7r. I leave the adapter connected to the lens as its a PITA to disconnect/reconnect. Oh and this lens is SHARP!

biglouis

I started out with a C-Elmar 90 but wasn't impressed on the A7. Results were variable. I now have the last version 90/2.8 with the sliding hood and it works perfectly. Very sharp indeed. I posted some stuff with it in the Sony pictures thread recently. Like Bill I've bought and am awaiting the arrival of the VM-E adaptor to see if it will satisfy me for backyard macro pics.

LouisB

karlfoto

I started out with a C-Elmar 90 but wasn't impressed on the A7. Results were variable. I now have the last version 90/2.8 with the sliding hood and it works perfectly. Very sharp indeed. I posted some stuff with it in the Sony pictures thread recently. Like Bill I've bought and am awaiting the arrival of the VM-E adaptor to see if it will satisfy me for backyard macro pics.

LouisB
Do you think it will focus close enough with that adaptor to be useful for macro. You must have researched it to some degree?

mbroomfield

Do you think it will focus close enough with that adaptor to be useful for macro. You must have researched it to some degree?
For longer lenses there is little/less change in the MFD, not remotely macro

Examples from an ebay listing

SUMMILUX 35/1.4 V1
Normal MFD 1m
With helicoid fully extended 0.28m

SUMMILUX 50/1.4 V1,
Normal 1m
With helicoid 0.43m

NOCTILUX 50/1 V2,
Normal 1m
With helicoid 0.43m

SUMICRON 50/2 V5
Normal 0.75m
With helicoid 0.38m

HEKTOR 73/1.9
Normal 1.2m
With helicoid 0.73m

SUMMICRON 90/2 V3
Normal 1m
With helicoid 0.73m

biglouis

It won't be a proper macro lens and indeed will only slightly improve close focus. But I am getting some nice flower shots with the cropability of the A7r and a small change in close focus will help.

LouisB

karlfoto

Thanx for the info.

A VM adaptor might not be a bad idea to have anyway as it can be used on the wa as well and might have some use as a 'macro' substitute.

rajeshr

One other option may be the 75mm Elmarit 2.5. It is a pretty small lens and not very expensive. I've just picked one up for use with my M and A7II.

Viramati

I have the tele-elmarit-M 90 (narrow version with lens hood) and though I don't use it much it is fantastic lens giving superb micro-detai for a lens of it's age. IMO it is one of leica's best lenses and a no brainer on the A7 or A7s